Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Zopiclone (sleeping pills) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone taken these before.

I took one last night at about 10pm. Took me about an hour to fall asleep.

I slept through my first 2 alarms, my third woke me up at 7.30am.

I then continued to sleep / half sleep until 2pm.

I'm feeling so tired and drowsy now still.

Anyone else had any experiences with these?

ReputationRep:
    I work in a pharmacy and we put on the label 'Causes drowsiness which may continue the next day' so I would say that's probably normal. It is a sleeping tablet after all. If you're concerned speak to a pharmacist.

ReputationRep:
    The warning is more to get you to think twice if you were planning on driving anywhere the next morning or something like that. Sleeping for 16 hours is not normal.

It would be a shame to give up on them since they did help you get off to sleep. Maybe a smaller dose would work better. I think you need to go back to the doctor and ask what to do now.

ReputationRep:
    Zopiclone is a wonderful drug. Doesn't agree with everyone though. But if you're having trouble sleeping maybe you just had a backlog of sleep you needed catching up on?

Oh and in case you didn't know, make sure and go to bed within about half an hour of taking it, cos if you force yourself to stay awake you can get sort of waking nightmares, which obviously wouldn't be pleasant.

ReputationRep:
    had exactly the same problem
    didn't work out for me so for 2 weeks i was basically asleep
    but it got my sleep pattern back into routine

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't a fan of the old Zopiclone, though I think it depends on the individual. Personally it still took me 1-2hours to get to sleep which was better but it gave me a really empty sleep. I woke up feeling really groggy, a headache and basically not a happy chappy.

I did sleep deprivation therapy, worked wonders!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Easykill)
    Wasn't a fan of the old Zopiclone, though I think it depends on the individual. Personally it still took me 1-2hours to get to sleep which was better but it gave me a really empty sleep. I woke up feeling really groggy, a headache and basically not a happy chappy.

I did sleep deprivation therapy, worked wonders!

sleep dep therapy
    the best thing
    done without meds as well
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Zopiclone does help me sleep, but if I have to get up early the next day I can still feel drowsy.
    What dose are you on? If it's 7.5mg maybe you should ask for 3.25 instead.

ReputationRep:
    Try (a) taking half a tablet if a whole one is too much and (b) taking it an hour or two earlier - not immediately before bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazzie111)
    sleep dep therapy
    the best thing
    done without meds as well
    Yeah I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. Just takes a bit of discipline!

ReputationRep:
    Hated it and would never go back on it as the doctor prescribed me it for too long and I got addicted to it. Also didn't like waking up with the taste of zinc in my mouth. Urgh.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started taking this and it hasn't really had much of an effect. Still takes 1 or 2 hours to fall asleep and I keep waking up at 5am and can't get back to sleep. Only difference now is that I have a horrible taste in my mouth all day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkey_Maiden)
    I've just started taking this and it hasn't really had much of an effect. Still takes 1 or 2 hours to fall asleep and I keep waking up at 5am and can't get back to sleep. Only difference now is that I have a horrible taste in my mouth all day
    I haven't really noticed much difference either, apart from the first time where I slept right through the day, probably catching up on missed sleep. I haven't taken them everyday thoguh, I was told only take when I really need to.

That's probably the taste of metal or something, I didn;t have that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Hated it and would never go back on it as the doctor prescribed me it for too long and I got addicted to it. Also didn't like waking up with the taste of zinc in my mouth. Urgh.
    How did you know what zinc tatsed like in the first place??

ReputationRep:
    i never found it had any real benefit. it only gets youto sleep, doesnt keep you that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    How did you know what zinc tatsed like in the first place??
    I didn't, just got told that if I had a weird taste in my mouth after taking them, it'd be zinc.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you supposed to take that a few hours before going to bed? Like, if you were going to bed at 10pm, you should take it about 7pm? Pretty sure that's the advice given and not just me! Sleep tight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dillydaydream1)
    Aren't you supposed to take that a few hours before going to bed? Like, if you were going to bed at 10pm, you should take it about 7pm? Pretty sure that's the advice given and not just me! Sleep tight
    No, if you do that it can cause hallucinations. You're supposed to take it just before going to bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    No, if you do that it can cause hallucinations. You're supposed to take it just before going to bed.
    Oh, sorry. No one take my advice then! But are you certain you're not thinking of zolpidem there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dillydaydream1)
    Oh, sorry. No one take my advice then! But are you certain you're not thinking of zolpidem there?
    Nope, definitely zopiclone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.