Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear one and all,

It has been a long time since I have posted here. I have a little fashion dilemma. My girlfriend suggested the following trousers (follow the link) as being suitable for the office:

http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/064990#colorSelect

They are 'no wale corduroy slim fit jeans' in 06 grey colour, looks kind of chequered with lots of little grey dots on the trousers/jeans. This is meant to be tied in with a grey jumper with a white shirt and tie underneath this.

While I agree that the combination can work well, I am incredibly apprehensive about wearing these trousers at the office. I work as a Personal Assistant to a Head teacher in a secondary school. I have not seen anyone wear any patterned trousers at work; everyone seems fairly serious with our suits, although I do see jumpers and suit trousers; but I never see anything as casual as these trousers, which are pretty much jeans.

I am still in my probationary period and have established myself as a respected character who is efficient and smartly dressed in a suit. I enjoy and prefer to look very smart, although I am willing to dress down slightly so long as it is not deemed by my line manager or anyone else as being inappropriate.

Would adopting these trousers be beneficial to showing I can dress/look smart in more than a suit? Would it be the wrong item of clothing to wear in such a office culture, and is perhaps more suited to a creative company office? Am I just being silly, and creating annoyance with my girlfriend over my refusal to wear this to work?

Any thoughts would be grately appreciated

Kind Regards,

TheConfuddledOne

ReputationRep:
    They do look quite casual to me, so its difficult to imagine what they would look like with a jumper and shirt without seeing the whole outfit together.

If you arent sure then I would say to leave it, as you may end up feeling uncomfortable and self conscious if you wear them.

PS - Ive worked in a couple of different schools and each is different in forms of staff dress - some Ive been into are quite casual (ie jeans) whereas some are always very formal in terms of clothes. So I would just keep to the tone of what everyone else wears.

ReputationRep:
    They do look a little casual. If everyone else wears suit trousers, they may not be smart enough.

ReputationRep:
    Regular cords or chinos are fine for most work environments, but the clue here is in the word "jeans".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.