Paragraph in german about myself Watch

This discussion is closed.
chillsinki
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey,

I'm a uni student and I have to do beginners german in addition to my course. I've got to write about myself in a test later this week. Could anyone tell me if the following is correct please?

Mein Name ist Roger Rabbit. Ich bin einundzwanzig Jahre alt. Ich wohne in Birmingham. Ich lebe in Birmingham fur drei Monate. Ich komme aus London in England. Ich bin studentin (I'm male is studentin correct?) und ich studiere Erdkunde. Ich studiere erst zwei Monate. Ich habe keine Kinder. Ich habe zwei Hobbys, sind sie Leichtathletik und Fußball spielen.

Thanks!
aliceb
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not German but yeah, when you're saying how long you've done something for you say 'seit' so 'ich lebe in Birmingham seit drei Monate'. 'Student' is male, and if I were you I'd change the last sentence to 'Ich habe zwei Hobbys; Leichtathletik treiben und Fussball spielen'. But I'm no expert, so some of that could be wrong!
Also is your name really Roger Rabbit?!
galadriel100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by chillsinki)
Hey,

I'm a uni student and I have to do beginners german in addition to my course. I've got to write about myself in a test later this week. Could anyone tell me if the following is correct please?

Mein Name ist Roger Rabbit. Ich bin einundzwanzig Jahre alt. Ich wohne in Birmingham. Ich lebe in Birmingham fur drei Monate. Ich komme aus London in England. Ich bin studentin (I'm male is studentin correct?) und ich studiere Erdkunde. Ich studiere erst zwei Monate. Ich habe keine Kinder. Ich habe zwei Hobbys, sind sie Leichtathletik und Fußball spielen.

Thanks!
Some things to correct:

Ich lebe in B seit drei Monate.

Student - that is the male form of student. If there is an IN on the end, it is female. For example Lehrer (male teacher), LehrerIN (female teacher)

I think it is better to say 'My hobbys are...', instead of 'I have two hobbys, they are'.

Have fun in German
chillsinki
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah that is my name. My parents were big big fans
hmaus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It is "seit drei Monaten" not Monate.

Also ich lebe seit 3 Monaten in Birmingham sounds more natural than ich lebe in Birmingham seit 3 Monaten.
chillsinki
Thanks very much for the other reply too!
LRJones
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey,

Thanks!
I'd say this:

Mein Name ist Roger Rabbit. Ich bin einundzwanzig Jahre alt. Ich wohne in Birmingham. Ich wohne dort seit drei Monate. Ich komme aus London, England. Ich bin Student und studiere Erdkunde. Ich studiere erst seit swei Monate. Ich habe keine Kinder. Ich habe zwei Hobbys - Leichathletik und Fußball.

I've put 'seit' in because in German, we need a preposition to imply the passing of time which (helpfully) we don't need/have in English.

A general note: DON'T confuse 'seit' with 'seid'. 'Seit' is a preposition which implies the passing of time... I've lived here since blah. 'Seid' comes from the verb Sein=to be: Ihr seid=You(pl) are.
Abdi Rahman
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ok
Maadna
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yh you got most of it wrong no offence you sound trike a really nice person but ypu probably used google translate
Maadna
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
U used google translate mate
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Could anyone tell me if the following is correct please?
I am not qualified to tell you about the correctness of the German but if someone of your age told me that in English I'd be very disappointed that they sound so much like primary school pupils listing simple facts about themselves. Your tutor will definitely get sick of "ich". Can you not contrive some more complex and mature sentiments and sentences, with a few conjunctions and secondary clauses?
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey,

Mein Name ist Roger Rabbit. Ich bin einundzwanzig Jahre alt. Ich wohne in Birmingham. Ich lebe in Birmingham fur drei Monate. Ich komme aus London in England. Ich bin studentin (I'm male is studentin correct?) und ich studiere Erdkunde. Ich studiere erst zwei Monate. Ich habe keine Kinder. Ich habe zwei Hobbys, nämlich Fußballspielen und Leichtathletik.

Thanks!
A male student? you are wrong then.

A male person = student
A female person = studentin

the ending (suffix) /-in is always reserved for females in German language. The underlined sentence is a correction.
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow lol I came on this thread and was disappointed by some of the responses here.

(Original post by Good bloke)
I am not qualified to tell you about the correctness of the German but if someone of your age told me that in English I'd be very disappointed that they sound so much like primary school pupils listing simple facts about themselves. Your tutor will definitely get sick of "ich". Can you not contrive some more complex and mature sentiments and sentences, with a few conjunctions and secondary clauses?
This is how it's taught in language classes; they do list rote facts about themselves because they are the most useful things to learn first in order to converse with other people. Also, the 'sick of ich' comment is absolute drivel - would you like to ban the word 'I' from the English language? Because people use that just as excessively as 'ich' is used in his example. He cannot construct more complex sentences because he is (/was...?) a beginner. I just pray you never have to teach anyone a language because you would do a very **** job morale-wise.

(Original post by Maadna)
Yh you got most of it wrong no offence you sound trike a really nice person but ypu probably used google translate
(Original post by Maadna)
U used google translate mate
Are you some troll or something? Why don't you write the ****ing paragraph for him then if you're going to take this attitude you retard, I mean what kind of person even goes onto an old thread like this to post such trash.
gapyear2018
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
Wow lol I came on this thread and was disappointed by some of the responses here.

This is how it's taught in language classes; they do list rote facts about themselves because they are the most useful things to learn first in order to converse with other people. Also, the 'sick of ich' comment is absolute drivel - would you like to ban the word 'I' from the English language? Because people use that just as excessively as 'ich' is used in his example. He cannot construct more complex sentences because he is (/was...?) a beginner. I just pray you never have to teach anyone a language because you would do a very **** job morale-wise.

Are you some troll or something? Why don't you write the ****ing paragraph for him then if you're going to take this attitude you retard, I mean what kind of person even goes onto an old thread like this to post such trash.
6 years too late to put them in their places lool
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ScienceFantatic)
6 years too late to put them in their places lool
Those people only posted a week ago, the people before them posted 6 years ago x)
abi.lambton
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i know fluent german so ask me anything and i will translate it
Corey kempf
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In männlich bedeutet nicht im Studenten. Sein Geschlecht. Männlich ist Mann oder junge
Quirky Object
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please don't necro, Leute

Thread closed.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads