Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Warwick, Cass, Imperial, Cambridge...........any others I'm missing Watch

• View Poll Results: Warwick or Cass (for the moment)
    Cass MSc Mathematical Trading and Finance
    21.43%
    Warwick Business School MSc Finance
    78.57%

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys (and girls),
    I’m new to TSR so bear with me cos I’ve seen a few threads similar but I wanted my own responses really .

I’m looking to get into the front office of an investment bank (I know........isn’t everybody) but am also looking to take my academic career as far as possible. I love finance and it is the subject that I want to do for the rest of my life.
    I got a first from the ICMA Centre so it stands me in pretty good sted when it comes to studying finance, and when I look at most of the content of the masters at different places, I feel pretty comfortable that I can handle any of the course material, even if it is harder as a gentleman pointed out to me on eFinancial careers .

I’m only interested in the top uni’s really. I feel I’ve got the knowledge base from my undergrad degree, but I would like the challenge to take my studies further and get a really brand name on my CV.

Firstly, I’m English (this will make sense in a sec). I have applied to all the top places I could think of LSE, Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick and Cass. I would like to apply to UCL but the closest thing I can find is their MSc Statistics. Can anyone recommend another course or uni I may have missed?

A big name missing off that list is Oxford. I looked at the MFE programme, however they require the GMAT (which is why I mention I’m English), and I almost certainly will not be taking it. I know that sounds lazy, but with me working full time at HSBC I just don’t think it would be worth the $200 fee and the £30,000 tuition fees, but mainly the time of trying to get a +700.

Anyway............I got rejected from LSE (MSc Finance). It is a bit of a shame, but from what I’ve read you almost get an auto reject without the GMAT. I’m not too fussed cos my absolute first choice probably would be imperial if I got all my offers.
    I have recently got an offer from Warwick and Cass (MSc MTF). Now this will be my first post of a couple provided I get an offer from imperial as I would then ask for the comparison of the winner of this choice (which is almost certainly going to be ******* from the vibe I get at TSR).

I’m also getting my internship apps in, so I’m going to be putting it on these apps too, so bear that in mind when making you choice as I will be applying for sales and trading internships as the Cass programme is perfect for that, but it just hasn’t got the brand.

Back to the question, Warwick MSc Finance or Cass MSc Mathematical Trading and Finance. Which one would you pick??

(If you want to know any more, please ask. This was only supposed to be a quick two line post, but I got a bit carried away. It’s quite fun this thread starting thing ).

ReputationRep:
    what kind of work are you doing at HSBC? asking cos if you're already in the investment banking side then i wouldn't recommend doing an MSc. just work there a few years and then do an MBA at LBS.

if on the other hand you're working on the retail side then an MSc has its advantages but don't be surprised if u still get rejected from 99.99% of graduate programs....

Out of the 2 unis u mentioned i'd go for Warwick but if u have an offer from imperial, take it. I did that program and am still using the stuff i learned there in my current job so i'd say it's a very hands on course.

best of luck

ReputationRep:
    I have researched masters programmes in finance extensively so let me give you my 2 cents.

The first thing you must decide on is whether you wish to leave the door open for pursuing a career in research and academia. Obviously with a first class honours you have the option of applying to MPhils at all of the schools mentioned above. Add Bocconi and SSE to your list as well as their courses are tailored to doctoral hopefuls.

Believe me employers will still look at you if not more favourably if you do a MPhil. Problem is it takes longer and is much harder to get in (places are very limited).

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham Trent.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered an MBA program in Europe outside the UK - Nyenrode in the Netherlands offers you free flights to visit their campus if you've got a GMAT of 650+...a great way to explore the campus and find out what the MBA is all about?

http://www.nyenrode.nl/Education/bus...oNyenrode.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emac1987)
    what kind of work are you doing at HSBC? asking cos if you're already in the investment banking side then i wouldn't recommend doing an MSc. just work there a few years and then do an MBA at LBS.

if on the other hand you're working on the retail side then an MSc has its advantages but don't be surprised if u still get rejected from 99.99% of graduate programs....

Out of the 2 unis u mentioned i'd go for Warwick but if u have an offer from imperial, take it. I did that program and am still using the stuff i learned there in my current job so i'd say it's a very hands on course.

best of luck
    As you kind of guessed I'm in the retail side. My official title is analyst, but it is in credit risk (in a HSBC up north). I know grad programmes are just rediculous to get on to, but that is only part of the reason why I wanna do a masters cos I do wanna see how far I can take my academic career as well.

In terms of Imperial, they are my absolute first choice. When I saw the course at Cass I thought wow, but the school rep isn't that of the top uni's. When I saw the course at imperia,l I thought they've got the best of both worlds, the amazing rep (3rd in UK atm) and an amazing course.

Thanks for your feedback, its really appreciated.

Would you mind if I asked if you got a 2:1 or a 1st to get into imperial (how stupid, I asked anyway ). Its just so I can gauge my chances to see if I have a good shot of getting in. Like I said, I think at the moment I would sacrifice the £1000 deposit on Warwick if I didn't hear back from imperial in time but still got the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Domaster)
    I have researched masters programmes in finance extensively so let me give you my 2 cents.

The first thing you must decide on is whether you wish to leave the door open for pursuing a career in research and academia. Obviously with a first class honours you have the option of applying to MPhils at all of the schools mentioned above. Add Bocconi and SSE to your list as well as their courses are tailored to doctoral hopefuls.

Believe me employers will still look at you if not more favourably if you do a MPhil. Problem is it takes longer and is much harder to get in (places are very limited).
    I love TSR now. Cos I'm actually getting good replys to stuff I (probably should have thought about) haven't really considered (which is why I came on here). The only MPhil I applied for was Cambridge. I am certainly interested in the possibility of a PhD, and I only just herd a short while ago about the MPhil being tailored to do so. It came up because I almost didnt apply to Cambridge (silly boy) because I was put off thinking an MPhil was not as good lol. Good job I do my research.

I'll look into the MPhil courses. Some people have told me and I have read it else where that they are based too much on theory. But for me, as much as I love the practical side of finance, which is why I want a job in it, I really do love the theory just as much, it's the reason why I got a first (that isnt me bragging, I really don't want to come across as arrogant).

Any other comments are more than welcome. Thanks for getting back to me in the first place cos its really good to here other opinions and I appreciate the time taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherrymuckle)
    Have you considered an MBA program in Europe outside the UK - Nyenrode in the Netherlands offers you free flights to visit their campus if you've got a GMAT of 650+...a great way to explore the campus and find out what the MBA is all about?

http://www.nyenrode.nl/Education/businessdegrees/imba/Pages/FlytoNyenrode.aspx
    Jesus. Free Flights if you've got a +650. I suppose they will want the best. I'll be honest and say I am just not sure about the GMAT for me at the moment. It's not a complete no no, but just not this year.
    The other thing the suggestions in this forum has made me think about is languages. I dont speak any so I'm thinking of going to a night school or something. It seems in IB more people speak 5 languages than people do 2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.