Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I noticed the introduction of the new BA in International Politics course on the KCL website. I was just wondering if anybody had any idea of when exactly this course was introduced?

I sent my UCAS off on the 20th October and don't remember seeing the course before then. The reason I ask is that there is a possibility that my college can put in an appeal for me as the course was not available at the time of application, as I have used all 5 options available.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think it has been introduced this year and the first people will receive they degree in 2014. They only put down the real curriculum of the course and so on December 9th (2010), before it had some little semi page with TBC almost everywhere.

I am truly interested by these degree so it would be great to see if may people are applying there because I am thinking seriously about re-applying only there. (deferred my offer for another Uni)

ReputationRep:
    Very recently.
    Until a few weeks ago most of the course details weren't up on the website.
    It's brilliant that they've introduced it though - Politics at a Russell Group institution in London. It's about time they brought it in.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student and will be applying there, among other choices. I don't remember reading about anyone else on TSR who applied for this course, though...

ReputationRep:
    I applied for the International Studies foundation degree as most candidates are 'expected to continue on to gain a BA International Politics, if they wish to stay for a third year' (OWTTE). They introduced the actual BA after October 14th (when I applied).

They then sent messages to the International Studies applicants stating that 'due to technical problems, we do not know whether you have applied for the BA International Politics degree or International Studies foundation degree' (OWTTE). So that they had the chance to change to the BA, I assume.

I've spoken to one person on TSR (who has since stopped posting) who is currently studying the International Studies foundation degree, who said that he hates the course and that it is not well organised. Then again, this is subjective and this is the internet, he could have been 16.

Anyway... I'm really excited about this course. I really hope that I do get a place, it just seems fantastic! The course, the modules, the location, it is immense! Good luck to anyone applying.
    Has anybody emailed the department asking when they will be sending out replies?

By the way, what else have you all applied for?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't applied yet, but my other choices are University of Birmingham, University of Sheffield, University of Manchester and University of Warwick. I don't have a first choice yet, I'll see which ones will send me an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeStartedNothing)
    Hi guys

I noticed the introduction of the new BA in International Politics course on the KCL website. I was just wondering if anybody had any idea of when exactly this course was introduced?

I sent my UCAS off on the 20th October and don't remember seeing the course before then. The reason I ask is that there is a possibility that my college can put in an appeal for me as the course was not available at the time of application, as I have used all 5 options available.

Thanks
    This is so unfair! I would have applied too. Have you done anything about it?

ReputationRep:
    hi all!
    current student of the foundation degree at international studies here, most of us just simply say we are studying international politics anyway because at when we complete our third year we will receive that BA

our modules in the first year consist of 4 core themes: studying politics, comparative politics, political theory, and world politics since 1945

if you guys havent already looked through the site already, that structure is exactly the same as the BA international politics degree structure for 2011 entry and beyond

there is a compulsory module for a foreign language to be learned, the difficulty level of which is decided by the student, and a compulsory work placement that must be completed before the end of your second year

the course itself is relatively rigorous, although we certainly do not put ourselves up along the guys at war studies, the newly developed department of political economy (the department of which this degree belongs) is associated with the department of war studies, its reputation of which needs no further mention, so we do consider ourselves having quite the standard

the name "international studies" does no justice to what the course actually covers, it is only there to act as a namesake, but in effect it really is BA international politics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by espada00)
    hi all!
    current student of the foundation degree at international studies here, most of us just simply say we are studying international politics anyway because at when we complete our third year we will receive that BA

our modules in the first year consist of 4 core themes: studying politics, comparative politics, political theory, and world politics since 1945

if you guys havent already looked through the site already, that structure is exactly the same as the BA international politics degree structure for 2011 entry and beyond

there is a compulsory module for a foreign language to be learned, the difficulty level of which is decided by the student, and a compulsory work placement that must be completed before the end of your second year

the course itself is relatively rigorous, although we certainly do not put ourselves up along the guys at war studies, the newly developed department of political economy (the department of which this degree belongs) is associated with the department of war studies, its reputation of which needs no further mention, so we do consider ourselves having quite the standard

the name "international studies" does no justice to what the course actually covers, it is only there to act as a namesake, but in effect it really is BA international politics
    Hey there! It's great to hear that confirmed by a current student at KCL! May I ask when you received your offer? I've applied to International Studies as well, is it funded differently to the International Politics degree, or are the bursary's etc the same?

Also, are there many mature students on the International Studies course? It seems tailored for those who have already started a career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympias)
    I think it has been introduced this year and the first people will receive they degree in 2014. They only put down the real curriculum of the course and so on December 9th (2010), before it had some little semi page with TBC almost everywhere.

I am truly interested by these degree so it would be great to see if may people are applying there because I am thinking seriously about re-applying only there. (deferred my offer for another Uni)
    Just to let you know, what I just realized is that you cannot re-apply anywhere if you have deferred your offer and are currently on that gap year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeStartedNothing)
    Hi guys

Thanks
    It was on KCL website before (October), but it wasn't confirmed with UCAS until late October/mid November. I'm not a hundred percent sure, but it must've been around then.

ReputationRep:
    The course International Studies would not be funded differently than International Politics since (for my graduation class at least) they are one and the same. Also, they both originate from the SSPP and War Studies departments so the funding should flow from the same place.

Strange story actually, I received my offer literally 2 weeks before the course started - by calling the uni itself and asking for clearing places - and during the introductory day, it was found that more than half of us got in through clearing.

What's ironic about this is that the people who got in through clearing are those with above average A-levels/IB grades, but were stopped just short of their first choice uni's.

As for the student demographic, there are a few older students (early to mid 20's), but when i say a few I mean less than 5, but this may be due to the course being new.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, can anyone who currently studies at International Politics tell if it is any good or not?

And is Sheffield better for International Relations than Kings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by espada00)
    The course International Studies would not be funded differently than International Politics since (for my graduation class at least) they are one and the same. Also, they both originate from the SSPP and War Studies departments so the funding should flow from the same place.

Strange story actually, I received my offer literally 2 weeks before the course started - by calling the uni itself and asking for clearing places - and during the introductory day, it was found that more than half of us got in through clearing.

What's ironic about this is that the people who got in through clearing are those with above average A-levels/IB grades, but were stopped just short of their first choice uni's.

As for the student demographic, there are a few older students (early to mid 20's), but when i say a few I mean less than 5, but this may be due to the course being new.
    hi!
    thank you for your posts, they have been really helpful to many of us !
    may i know your personal opinion about the course? Do you enjoy the lectures etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherryblossom4you)
    hi!
    thank you for your posts, they have been really helpful to many of us !
    may i know your personal opinion about the course? Do you enjoy the lectures etc?
    i think for such a new course its well organised and fairly rich in content, i like how it expands beyond what people perceive as the narrow realm of political science and manages to get a lot of different perspectives from a variety of academic disciplines

i do enjoy most of the lectures, clearly it helps if youre genuinely interested in the subject matter, but there are some that are bound to be mind-numbingly boring, if that happens, your laptop is your savior

ReputationRep:
    @espada00

Hi, I'm French and has been accepted at the Foundation Int'l Studies course. However, I still have some questions about this perspective :
    - the KCL site reads that the foundation degree will not run in 2012 ; how should one interpret this, given the fact that it has been recently introduced ?
    - I may be mistaken, but I didn't find any detailed information on the site about the masters open to holders of a BA International Politics. It just says a few words about careers, but nothing about postgraduate studies
    - in terms of democratics, can you tell us how many students were in the 2010 course, and, if possible, the share of foreigners ?

Thank you,
    Victouare

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.