Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if Philosophy would be a good course choice. Probably with logic or maybe with a English degree?

What do you guys think, and which unis would you recomend!?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    It's a genuinely hard one to call. I have friends here who have taken to Philosophy really well and enjoy it immensely. Whilst, for some others it's the bane of their existence. Really the only way to decide is by researching and reading about it as much as possible. Even if you're good at writing an essay, Philosophy requires certain different paths of thought and ways of looking at things which you may not be comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    If it is what you want to do, any subject is a good choice.

ReputationRep:
    i think philosophy is great, i was actually considering it myself but changed at the last minute. English and philosophy would be even better for future employment but i'd say just do what course you enjoy. If you have the grades i'd say go for the top unis like warwick of york (dunno if they actually do it )

Good luck with your application xx

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean is it a good/interesting course, or career prospect wise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emeleh)
    Do you mean is it a good/interesting course, or career prospect wise?
    Career wise, probs for teaching =)

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy will get you a teaching job teaching Religious Studies without too many problems (subject to PGCE or GTP etc). English will also have good teaching career potential. However, I wouldn't narrow your choices too much at this stage - think about the fact that a good university degree will get you started in most jobs that you would want to go into.

As for whether it's a good one or not, you've got to do it for three years so I'd recommend you think about whether it'll hold your interest for that length of time and are willing to put the hours in to make it a good grade!

Good luck with whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've applied for it for 2011 entry I've applied on the basis that I really enjoy it.
    But on paper it seems like you could get a job out of it. You pick up skills such as critical thinking, the ability the form strong arguments and pick arguments apart, logic, analytical skills etc. So yeah, if you ask me its a good course if you enjoy it because you'll pick up these skills employers - I assume - will like you
    Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    I think Philosophy would be very interesting but career-wise I would think it's not that useful. I'm probably wrong though. DO IT

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends what you are looking to do. Apparently though, many companies are interested in taking Philosophy students as they show many qualities and skills that are regarded as being valuable. I'm wanting to do my teaching degree but, at the same time I am interested in doing Ethical Consultancy in either medical or Environmental Ethics. (I'm doing ethics with philosophy and religion). In all, I think Philosophy is a very personal degree, but I think students of the subject have a lot to offer. (Not just because I'm biased )

ReputationRep:
    Choose the course you'd enjoy for three years. If Philosophy is what you enjoy, then by all means go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a great choice if you're really into the subject. The best advice I could give you is either do a degree in a subject that you are really interested in (and will therefore do very well at) or do something that will make you highly employable. I did a business finance degree and hated it and didn't do very well in it, but then did a degree in religions and theology and got a first- which employers seem to love.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.