The Student Room Group

Are doctors willing to write (free) medical notes on the same day?

I made a hospital appointment today for tomorrow. I tried to tell my teacher that I might not be in the lesson due to appointment overruns but he wasn't there today. If I don't have a note then I won't get my EMA this week, but I can't get my parents to write me a note because I don't want them to know about my appointment. Would a doctor or nurse be willing to write me a free note saying I was with them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yeah, just ask for an appointment card? thats what i did at the dentist and it was fine :smile:
Reply 2
Maybe (if you want to waste time and make everyone's day longer). But they are under absolutely no obligation to.

Will the appointment letter not do. :rolleyes:
Reply 3
hmmm...it's worth a try, i really don't see why they wouldn't write you one, but if they do say no or make you pay or something you could maybe write one yourself and say its from your parents. thats what i would do...(but im naughty :tongue:)
Reply 4
Original post by Renal
Maybe (if you want to waste time and make everyone's day longer). But they are under absolutely no obligation to.

Will the appointment letter not do. :rolleyes:

I don't have an appointment letter, I rang the hospital today, made the appointment and the appointment is tomorrow morning. To be honest I don't care about wasting everyone else's time as long as I still get my EMA this week :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Cinqueta
To be honest I don't care about wasting everyone else's time as long as I still get my EMa this week :colondollar:
Well **** you too.
I won't sympathise with the idea of you losing your EMA for a comment like that.
Go to hell Op. - Mud if you're an atheist.
Reply 8
Original post by Instincts_2012
Go to hell Op. - Mud if you're an atheist.

Because I don't want to lose out on money when it's not my fault that I need this hospital appointment?
Yes, they should do.

Just tell the doctor you need a note/card to prove you had an appointment, so you can provide your teacher with one.
Reply 10
Original post by WildBerrySpirit
Yes, they should do.
No, they should not, there is absolutely no obligation to provide free sick notes outside of general practice or for periods of less than seven days.
Reply 11
Say you're ill, and just don't mention the hospital.
I still get EMA when I'm ill, so why wouldn't you?
Original post by Renal
No, they should not, there is absolutely no obligation to provide free sick notes outside of general practice or for periods of less than seven days.

But it's not a sick note.

It's generally a small card, stating the time and date of the appointment. So in the OP's situation, it can be shown as a valid form of verification for his lack of attendence.
Original post by WildBerrySpirit
But it's not a sick note.

It's generally a small card, stating the time and date of the appointment. So in the OP's situation, it can be shown as a valid form of verification for his lack of attendence.

Not all places use them.
And it might be the sort of clinic where you don't want to reveal it.
I don't have an appointment letter, I rang the hospital today, made the appointment and the appointment is tomorrow morning. To be honest I don't care about wasting everyone else's time as long as I still get my EMA this week :colondollar:

LOL Shouldn't you know by now that TSRians aren't too fond of comments like that.
OP you could ask the receptionist to give you an appointment card with the appointment date and time and stamped with the practice stamp.
Or when you go into see the doctor you could ask for a written note to say you attended (not a sick note) for the appointment. Sometimes they can print them then and there on the computer.
Original post by ProfessorS
LOL Shouldn't you know by now that TSRians aren't too fond of comments like that.

Why would anybody be 'fond' of a comment that shows a blatant disregard for anyone else's feelings?!
Would hope that's not exclusive to TSR, to be honest.

I'd go with the appointment card idea OP, surely your school would accept that as proof.
Reply 17
I made a hospital appointment today for tomorrow. I tried to tell my teacher that I might not be in the lesson due to appointment overruns but he wasn't there today. If I don't have a note then I won't get my EMA this week, but I can't get my parents to write me a note because I don't want them to know about my appointment. Would a doctor or nurse be willing to write me a free note saying I was with them?

You could always show your teacher your penile warts and then he will understand why you needed to attend a clinic.
Reply 18
Original post by Renal

Far as I can tell they don't want a sick note exactly just proof they have been at the hospital not just skiving.

So there should be no problem with this I have asked for one loads of times :smile: Just ask the receptionist to write you an appointment card. It takes two seconds and wastes nobody's time :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by trappers
Far as I can tell they don't want a sick note exactly just proof they have been at the hospital not just skiving.

So there should be no problem with this I have asked for one loads of times :smile: Just ask the receptionist to write you an appointment card. It takes two seconds and wastes nobody's time :smile:

I showed my teacher my appointment card and he said it was fine :smile: I didn't think I'd actually get an appointment card though.

Original post by Captain92
Say you're ill, and just don't mention the hospital.
I still get EMA when I'm ill, so why wouldn't you?

At my school you don't get EMA unless you're there 100% of the time or have a note from your parents as to why you're not in and they have to fill in a form too. I don't want my parents to know I went to the hospital.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest