Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheaper Insurance v. More Training Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Another question for all you good people

There are many questions and complaints about the cost of insurance once you have passed your test - quite rightly in my opinion. So, if the driving test was harder, perhaps over two sessions, costing twice as much in return for significantly lower premiums i.e., more than 50% discount, would you consider that that was a good deal?

As an alternative, what if, rather than a more difficult driving test, you had to be regularly reviewed during your first year? Would that be a good deal or not?

I'm asking more as a parent to teenage sons who can't get a decent stab at insurance, rather than anything else but being a driving instructor and knowing the quality of my own sons' driving, the fact that insurance is so expensive really gets to me.

Any views?

Thanks

Emma

ReputationRep:
    I'd be inclined to agree with your second idea suggesting regular reviewing over a period of time for new drivers. It would certainly keep them on their toes and discourage them from forgetting everything they've been taught.

Introducing a two part test would be ideal in my opinion. The motorcycle test has two modules, so why shouldn't the car test have the same? Having said that though, the introduction of the independent driving (which I believe to be no issue whatsoever), caused such a pathetic uproar, so I wonder whether it would be supported by new learner drivers?

ReputationRep:
    What about the IAM test become the standard driving test, get rid of the manover (getting it into a parking space isnt really a safety issue) leaves more time to fully asses a driver skills in the areas that matter

How much would regular reviewing cost? If it's maintained at the current test rate of £100 an hour then no.

A harder driving test isn't necessary. I expect a good portion of accidents are down to lack of independent experience rather than bad driving (although some people are certainly unfit to drive and probably did their test dosed up on Kalms or whatever to stop a shakey clutch leg - I really wish they would clamp down on that!).

I haven't had any accidents in my two years of driving, and I'm by no means a practical person. All it takes is a bit of maturity to know what the limits of your ability are.

Insurance premiums can be overcome by getting a job. That's what I did. Unfortunately not everyone does and it's the uninsured drivers putting up the premiums.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.