Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying physics, maths, geography, economics and german at AS although I will give up economics for A2. Does anyone know what geophysics is like at university and whether I will be able to get on a course with these A-levels. Also what extra do you need to do to get on a geophysics course. Any help would be great, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stars and dots)
    I'm studying physics, maths, geography, economics and german at AS although I will give up economics for A2. Does anyone know what geophysics is like at university and whether I will be able to get on a course with these A-levels. Also what extra do you need to do to get on a geophysics course. Any help would be great, thanks
    Hi, I'm applying for Geology at the moment but was considering applying for geology with geophysics. I am doing A Levels in Maths, Geology and Accounts (have an AS in graphics) and for Geology with geophysics most places only ask for full a level in either maths or physics and an AS in the other. Therefore your A Levels choices are fine. Most places ask for 2 sciences which include: physics, maths, geology, geography, biology and chemistry (sometimes environmental science). These are the requirements for geology though but I think for geophysics they are maths and physics so you'll be fine. You'll also be fine if you want to go for geology instead for a more broader study, but the job prospects for geophysics are just as good as those with a geology degree. Also you don't really need anything extra. Depending on where you apply they like to see that you've took an interest in your subject discussing in your ps why you want to study the subject etc. I know some unis like volunteer work and it doesn't have to be geology related because they know this is hard to find, although I managed to get a few regular volunteer days with the Earth Heritage trust, but a few days at a charity shop will look just as respectable. Also I would advise reading a few book about the subject, one good book I would recommend is Krakatoa by Simon Winchester. Hope all this information helps and good luck in your AS's and A levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickiesal)
    Hi, I'm applying for Geology at the moment but was considering applying for geology with geophysics. I am doing A Levels in Maths, Geology and Accounts (have an AS in graphics) and for Geology with geophysics most places only ask for full a level in either maths or physics and an AS in the other. Therefore your A Levels choices are fine. Most places ask for 2 sciences which include: physics, maths, geology, geography, biology and chemistry (sometimes environmental science). These are the requirements for geology though but I think for geophysics they are maths and physics so you'll be fine. You'll also be fine if you want to go for geology instead for a more broader study, but the job prospects for geophysics are just as good as those with a geology degree. Also you don't really need anything extra. Depending on where you apply they like to see that you've took an interest in your subject discussing in your ps why you want to study the subject etc. I know some unis like volunteer work and it doesn't have to be geology related because they know this is hard to find, although I managed to get a few regular volunteer days with the Earth Heritage trust, but a few days at a charity shop will look just as respectable. Also I would advise reading a few book about the subject, one good book I would recommend is Krakatoa by Simon Winchester. Hope all this information helps and good luck in your AS's and A levels
    Thanks good luck with geology

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.