Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Injured wrist doing barbell curls. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok today i did some benching. I did 3 sets at normal and then my last set I upped the weight and maxed 1 rep and then done a further 4 negs. Through out I felt slight pain in my left wrist but thought nothing of it. The when I went to do barbell curls on the 3rd rep I felt a pop in my wrist. It was quite sore but not sore enough to go to a and e if you know what I mean. Also one of the gym staff said it's probably just strained and I should just take some pain killers and rest it. The thing is since ive started resting it the pain has got quite bad. Any suggestions on what I might have done and also is it worth a trip to a and e after all. Or should I just wait until tomorrow because my gp sees you on the day you make an appointment. Also I broke my arm a few years ago and had to go for 2 ops on it but it had fully recovered, do you think it's something to do with that?

ReputationRep:
    You keeping your wrists straight?

And use the EZ bar rather than oly bar, its easier on the wrists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    You keeping your wrists straight?

And use the EZ bar rather than oly bar, its easier on the wrists
    Yeh i always try and make sure my wrists are striaght and I usually use the ez but someone was using it so i just used the oly. The thing is I have this bad habit of swaying a little when curling so maybe it is something to do with that.

ReputationRep:
    R.I.C.E

REST
    ICE - 10/15 mins session an hour for a few hours. Don't apply ice directly or you will burn your skin.
    COMPRESS - Wrap your wrist up with tubigrip or some other elastic stuff.
    ELEVATE

Take NSAIDS to minimise any swelling and take paracetamol if it is painful.

Try that for a while and if it is still sore, consult a physician or physio..

Popping noises are usually associated with straining a ligament so take it easy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Yeh i always try and make sure my wrists are striaght and I usually use the ez but someone was using it so i just used the oly. The thing is I have this bad habit of swaying a little when curling so maybe it is something to do with that.
    if you're swaying your form is bad or you're lifting too heavy a weight, do them with your back against a wall if you don't wanna reduce the weight, using an oly bar for barbell curls canes my wrists too

ReputationRep:
    Poor form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    if you're swaying your form is bad or you're lifting too heavy a weight, do them with your back against a wall if you don't wanna reduce the weight, using an oly bar for barbell curls canes my wrists too
    Yeh I know it bad form, bit it's not that bad of sway lol. It's more of a slight twitch than a sway. Although the standing against the wall idea is good. I've
    Never heard that one before. Also I've been on the same weight for 2 months now so I'm used to it infact today I was supposed to increase my reps from 6 to 8 then increase weight in a few weeks. Looks like that'll have to be put on hold.

ReputationRep:
    My form is no worse than the guy in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_9_5...e_gdata_player I've been doing barbell curls since I started lifting and i've moved up to a considerable weight, so I doubt it's my form lol I'm not an amateur anymore. But what ever has happened it's really ****ed my wrist. But I'll just
    wait until I see my gp tomorrow, hopefully it's nothing serious.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.