Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate being a 'low income student' Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm what the government calls a 'low income student' - I live with my single unemployed mum and two siblings. I'm quite ashamed this, but my mum won't change, she has no qualifications and says she would never find a job that pays more than her benefits anyway.

I hate the way 'low income students' are looked down upon in society. I claim EMA - my friends don't like it, they say it's not fair. I'm not... proud, and I'm not saying it's fair, but I'm not going to turn down £30 a week, especially when it genuinely helps. One of my teachers was talking about it today and about the protests. He called EMA students 'social sponges'. I'm not a chav or a yob, I'm an A grade student. I'm well spoken, ambitious and polite. I don't even consider myself lower class because I hate the stigma associated with the 'lower classes'. I was raised well - I'm only in this situation because my parents divorced last year. I don't go to sixth form because I get £30 a week, I got to sixth form because I want to go to university, I don't want to end up like my parents.

I don't like the way people on here look down on us. They seem to be pretty pissy about the government encouraging 'low income students' to go to university with the financial help the they offers us. People seem to think the government give away places to chavs who are undeserving of places and who won't make use of them simply because of equality.Higher income students seem to think they are disadvantaged... maybe they are... but that's not my fault. Nothing about my home life is my fault.

The point is, I'm not going to turn down money that I'm eligible for, but I really really hate the way I'm looked down upon by my friends, and even in some cases, the teachers, because of a home life I have no control over. And I'm genuinely worried about being prejudiced against because of this by universities. I'm only in year 12, but I might not even bother applying for Oxbridge despite my predicted grades because I doubt they'd even give 'another benefit grabbing chav' a glance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    x

I find myself having to justify my financial situation to people, i'm not ashamed though - i'm proud that i'm making the effort to try and move out of that situation and that my parents are genuinely not spongers, I think maybe you need to try and be proud of yourself for trying to achieve something.

ReputationRep:
    Work hard, **** the haters.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, my family went on holiday to America a couple of years ago and my friends were all like meh meh meh you shouldn't be on ema when you obviously have loads of money. I felt pretty hurt about that because like you say it's not my fault that my parents like the save the little money that they get over the years for a holiday than to eat out all the time and go abroad every year. Every christmas and birthday my friends would get presents that were way over double the value of mine, it didn't really bother me but for them to have a go at me was ridiculous. Maybe I didn't deserve my ema, but if you're being handed it on a plate then you'd take it right?

As for Oxbridge, apply. You've got 5 choices to fill and Oxbridge will be charging the full £9000 I would expect so they have to reach out to people from 'low income families'. Just for it, don't let your background hinder you.

ReputationRep:
    you shouldnt care what people think

ReputationRep:
    Use your background experiences as a motivation rather than something that's stopping you!
    Be proud its encouraging you to achieve the best for yourself, there are many people your age who are from high income families with little or no ambition to succeed in life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty much in exactly the same position. The way I see it, is that I'm going to uni next year, and when I have a post-graduate job, I'll be paying back far more in taxes than I've 'sponged off' the government. It's a shame EMA is stopping next year, but it will stop the people that go to college just to bum around and get £30 a week.

ReputationRep:
    I'm what the government calls a 'low income student' - I live with my single unemployed mum and two siblings. I'm quite ashamed this, but my mum won't change, she has no qualifications and says she would never find a job that pays more than her benefits anyway.

I hate the way 'low income students' are looked down upon in society. I claim EMA - my friends don't like it, they say it's not fair. I'm not... proud, and I'm not saying it's fair, but I'm not going to turn down £30 a week, especially when it genuinely helps. One of my teachers was talking about it today and about the protests. He called EMA students 'social sponges'. I'm not a chav or a yob, I'm an A grade student. I'm well spoken, ambitious and polite. I don't even consider myself lower class because I hate the stigma associated with the 'lower classes'. I was raised well - I'm only in this situation because my parents divorced last year. I don't go to sixth form because I get £30 a week, I got to sixth form because I want to go to university, I don't want to end up like my parents.

I don't like the way people on here look down on us. They seem to be pretty pissy about the government encouraging 'low income students' to go to university with the financial help the they offers us. People seem to think the government give away places to chavs who are undeserving of places and who won't make use of them simply because of equality.Higher income students seem to think they are disadvantaged... maybe they are... but that's not my fault. Nothing about my home life is my fault.

The point is, I'm not going to turn down money that I'm eligible for, but I really really hate the way I'm looked down upon by my friends, and even in some cases, the teachers, because of a home life I have no control over. And I'm genuinely worried about being prejudiced against because of this by universities. I'm only in year 12, but I might not even bother applying for Oxbridge despite my predicted grades because I doubt they'd even give 'another benefit grabbing chav' a glance.
    Lodge a complaint against your teacher; that was a completely inappropriate comment to make for someone in their position.

My mother was unemployed until I went to college, and then I received EMA because her job was not well paid. I emphasise with the way you feel about your mother; I used to resent my mother too, but I am more sympathetic now because the system is not really designed to help people back to work. I used to resent her because I felt she held me back deliberately; she would not go to parent evenings, because she could not drive and would not go unless the school arranged transport, she could not afford to buy me football boots so I could not join a football team or play away games, and whenever I went on sports trips the PE teacher had to give me a lift home etc., etc.. School trips, free-school meals, swimming lessons, and non-uniform days are just awkward everyday experiences for us, and people from normal families either do not understand or do not care.

With regards to universities, this is the one place you do not need to worry about social prejudice. If you have the grades apply as high as you can as these are the universities who will give you a lot of money. You will finally be financially independent and gain some self-respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Lodge a complaint against your teacher; that was a completely inappropriate comment to make for someone in their position.

My mother was unemployed until I went to college, and then I received EMA because her job was not well paid. I emphasise with the way you feel about your mother; I used to resent my mother too, but I am more sympathetic now because the system is not really designed to help people back to work. I used to resent her because I felt she held me back deliberately; she would not go to parent evenings, because she could not drive and would not go unless the school arranged transport, she could not afford to buy me football boots so I could not join a football team or play away games, and whenever I went on sports trips the PE teacher had to give me a lift home etc., etc.. School trips, free-school meals, swimming lessons, and non-uniform days are just awkward everyday experiences for us, and people from normal families either do not understand or do not care.

With regards to universities, this is the one place you do not need to worry about social prejudice. If you have the grades apply as high as you can as these are the universities who will give you a lot of money. You will finally be financially independent and gain some self-respect.
    I don't even care about the teacher - he's some idiot P.E teacher who was just registering us. He's bound to be fired soon, I reckon the only reason he's still there is because according to students he's a 'legend'. That said, I still reckon some of the teachers look down on us, it's not obvious, but you can tell...

As for my mum, it's not that she doesn't care, because she does, I certainly don't hate her... she's just... I don't know. She has really low self esteem, I don't think she thinks she can even achieve anything... but I'm never going to change her. She really does try with me though, and I love her for that. Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    Your post is amazing. I wish one of these stupid MPs threatening to cut EMA could read it. Apparantly 90% of EMA recipients are fine with the cuts :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you have anything to be ashamed of, of course it's not your fault how your home life has worked out.

Just ignore them, work hard and then in 10 years time you can then look back and see where they are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    This. I have far more respect for those who do the "dirty jobs" than those who just can't be ****ed to work and remain on benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    You won't get any better advice than this.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even care about the teacher - he's some idiot P.E teacher who was just registering us. He's bound to be fired soon, I reckon the only reason he's still there is because according to students he's a 'legend'. That said, I still reckon some of the teachers look down on us, it's not obvious, but you can tell...

As for my mum, it's not that she doesn't care, because she does, I certainly don't hate her... she's just... I don't know. She has really low self esteem, I don't think she thinks she can even achieve anything... but I'm never going to change her. She really does try with me though, and I love her for that. Thanks though
    lool elaborate... why is he going to get fired?!

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, except my mum does work.
    She's on minimum wage part time, so it's not alot of cash at all, under £7,000 a year.
    She pays a mortgage and runs a car with this.
    All i get in college is **** from the kids who don't get EMA.

HATERS GONNA HATE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza_00)
    lool elaborate... why is he going to get fired?!
    I don't know why he hasn't been yet. I'm not saying anything here about the capabilities of P.E teachers... but I don't think I've ever seen him teach anything. He's one of those teachers who favours the sporty, popular types, and he doesn't give a crap about people who aren't. He's really immature and doesn't take anything seriously, today in form he was arm wrestling people, jumping around and just saying things without any care - he does it all the time. I'm not one of those pretentious snobs who believe teachers should be stern, strict and serious, but he clearly doesn't know what teachers should and shouldn't say. Naturally, most of the students and the P.E teachers love him (many of whom happen to be senior members of staff), but he's been in trouble before. I don't care to be honest, I knew some teachers feel like that anything, they're just not supposed to say it.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the exact same position. A lot of people I know look down on people who receive EMA, hence I'm not too keen on telling people - but really, I have nothing to apologise for.

ReputationRep:
    the EMA system as it is, is totally messed up. It's not being removed its being replaced. I went to a fee paying school and there were people in my year who had their own brand new cars, with personalised licence plates, and got 30 pounds a week EMA.

I wish I could say this is a small minority, but its a sizeable amount of people who claim EMA do so under such circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Other people have responded well, and I also want to reiterate that your income will have no effect on your Cambridge application whatsoever. I don't think they even know whether you recieve EMA or not, and even if it was on your form the people interviewing you and deciding whether you get a place or not couldn't care less :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Cutting EMA will increase street crime robberies, stabbings i bet ....this govenment is bringing the future of this country down.
    If we send the government a few emotional stories like this then maybe they could fix things up for students....less people will be going to go university(tution fees) and college(EMA cuts) in 2011 .....they are f****** things up majorly....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.