Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leaving my job during my 1 month probation period, is it okay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can they do anything to me?

ReputationRep:
    I dont think so. Generally, you only have to give notice after your probation.

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't look good on you. try to complete your probation period then let them know the job's not for you and you decided to move on - it shows commitment to future employers and will not affect references, leaving now would give the impression your not committed and unreliable.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been in a similar position, but ended up staying. If i may ask, what is the job and why do you wish to leave?

ReputationRep:
    I've always seen a probation period as a two-way thing. You normally do not have to give notice, or at least not as much notice to your employer during this period, and thus I expect the employers imagine some people will decide to leave, having tried the job.

If you are unhappy and do not wish to continue working there, leave. Just be sure to check any contracts you signed, regarding notice etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomblaze)
    Ive been in a similar position, but ended up staying. If i may ask, what is the job and why do you wish to leave?
    A cleaner job in the Wadham Lodge, Walthamstow, London. Wadham Lodge is a two floor sports centre wich is being refurbished. I am the ONLY CLEANER and my job includes ,and is not limited to:
    -Inside:
    Ground floor: clean (sweep and mop mud-stained benches, mud-stained walls and mud-stained floor. The floors is also always full of that plastic thing similar to tiny black peebles common on football grounds) the 3 toilets, clean 2 medium changing rooms and two big changing rooms, clean the two biggest changing rooms and its 3 toilets (always wich stained with feces and its 3 showers always stained with grass.

First floor, clean the bar (sweep and hoover and clean all the surfaces, table, chairs and sofas.) There is also wet or dry mud in the floor of the bar.

-Outside:
    Litter pick in the car park and the 5 medium sized pitches and the two big football fields.

I'm also expected to dedicate 15 minutes to sweep, hoover and mop my boss' area of work.

They don't have gloves for me to clean so I have to buy my own ones. Some of their equipment is broken or does not work properly. I work when there is people in the building, and thus, I have to clean two or three times the same place because some customer or other person walks through the area I have cleaned.
    Note: The area around the building is filled with wet mud so the main hallway is ALWAYS AWFULLY STAINED before I clean it. And sometimes, I find a QUITE amount of rubbish (heap of mud, half-eaten bananas,plastic bags and other times mixed in a vomite inducing mix).
    I am expected to clean the ground floor in 2 hours or less, otherwise I am told that I need to work "quicker". My boss always smile (the male does, the female is always in an angry-like state.)
    The room where I take my break is dirty and I have to leave my backpack there even when anybody can enter and steal it.
    Female toilets don't have lock so they need to use males' toilets and thus, males use either women' toilet or disabled people toilet.
    Do you remember the week where it snowed? I was told to remove the snow from the pitches. And it wasn't in what it was supposed to be probation period work. It was a damn hard job and my back suffered everyday. NO JOKING.
    TOILETS ARE ALWAYS COMPLETELY FILLED WITH FAECES. And when I do litter picking I have to do it with no lights, thus, in the dark.
    The cleaning equipment was already dirty the first time I went and it was kept like that. My boss made me worked two hours longer than what it corresponded me, then she told me to go home two hours earlier other day, and after she claimed that I had to worked two hours more the next shift because she allowed me (Actually, she had told me that I would get out early because she wanted to get out from work early.).
    I clean a damn sports centre myself and they keep telling me with that phony smile to be speed up my work.
    I think that sums up my reasons of living but I will put you a picture similar at the state of the place where I worked.
    Thanks for reading this, if you are looking for work, DON'T GO TO WADHAM LODGE. I consider myself a sensible person who is not afraid of cleaning a toilet but working there is the closest of killing yourself for nothing.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    I've always seen a probation period as a two-way thing. You normally do not have to give notice, or at least not as much notice to your employer during this period, and thus I expect the employers imagine some people will decide to leave, having tried the job.

If you are unhappy and do not wish to continue working there, leave. Just be sure to check any contracts you signed, regarding notice etc.
    Thanks but they did not bother to made me a contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    it doesn't look good on you. try to complete your probation period then let them know the job's not for you and you decided to move on - it shows commitment to future employers and will not affect references, leaving now would give the impression your not committed and unreliable.
    I will paste here the reply I wrote to someone asking me why I want to leave that job.

A cleaner job in the Wadham Lodge, Walthamstow, London. Wadham Lodge is a two floor sports centre wich is being refurbished. I am the ONLY CLEANER and my job includes ,and is not limited to:
    -Inside:
    Ground floor: clean (sweep and mop mud-stained benches, mud-stained walls and mud-stained floor. The floors is also always full of that plastic thing similar to tiny black peebles common on football grounds) the 3 toilets, clean 2 medium changing rooms and two big changing rooms, clean the two biggest changing rooms and its 3 toilets (always wich stained with feces and its 3 showers always stained with grass.

First floor, clean the bar (sweep and hoover and clean all the surfaces, table, chairs and sofas.) There is also wet or dry mud in the floor of the bar.

-Outside:
    Litter pick in the car park and the 5 medium sized pitches and the two big football fields.

I'm also expected to dedicate 15 minutes to sweep, hoover and mop my boss' area of work.

They don't have gloves for me to clean so I have to buy my own ones. Some of their equipment is broken or does not work properly. I work when there is people in the building, and thus, I have to clean two or three times the same place because some customer or other person walks through the area I have cleaned.
    Note: The area around the building is filled with wet mud so the main hallway is ALWAYS AWFULLY STAINED before I clean it. And sometimes, I find a QUITE amount of rubbish (heap of mud, half-eaten bananas,plastic bags and other times mixed in a vomite inducing mix).
    I am expected to clean the ground floor in 2 hours or less, otherwise I am told that I need to work "quicker". My boss always smile (the male does, the female is always in an angry-like state.)
    The room where I take my break is dirty and I have to leave my backpack there even when anybody can enter and steal it.
    Female toilets don't have lock so they need to use males' toilets and thus, males use either women' toilet or disabled people toilet.
    Do you remember the week where it snowed? I was told to remove the snow from the pitches. And it wasn't in what it was supposed to be probation period work. It was a damn hard job and my back suffered everyday. NO JOKING.
    TOILETS ARE ALWAYS COMPLETELY FILLED WITH FAECES. And when I do litter picking I have to do it with no lights, thus, in the dark.
    The cleaning equipment was already dirty the first time I went and it was kept like that. My boss made me worked two hours longer than what it corresponded me, then she told me to go home two hours earlier other day, and after she claimed that I had to worked two hours more the next shift because she allowed me (Actually, she had told me that I would get out early because she wanted to get out from work early.).
    I clean a damn sports centre myself and they keep telling me with that phony smile to be speed up my work.
    I think that sums up my reasons of living but I will put you a picture similar at the state of the place where I worked.
    Thanks for reading this, if you are looking for work, DON'T GO TO WADHAM LODGE. I consider myself a sensible person who is not afraid of cleaning a toilet but working there is the closest of killing yourself for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    -Inside:

-Outside:

Thank you
    that sounds awful. Are you a student? Is they pay good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)

A cleaner job in the.........
    Ah! Well if its a cleaning job, just leave. Hand your notice and leave.

ReputationRep:
    Tell em to stick it! Sounds like you are doing 2-3 people's work! You are under no obligation to stay there, they can't "do anything to you". Generally if you have a contract it states the peroid of notice you are required to give. You don't technically have to honour this, but then don't expect to be paid without giving the stated notice. Its usually a week if you get paid weekly, and a month if you get paid monthly. As you have no contract, you can leave when you want and they will have to pay you for all work completed.

ReputationRep:
    you dont even have a contract! i would just leave if i were you, it seems like they are really taking the piss with what the expect of you.

ReputationRep:
    This kind of dirtiness was in the bowl but "generously":rolleyes: spread along the surface and the edge of the bowl.

http://greatest****s.files.wordpress...8/10/caca1.jpg

This kind of dirtiness (wet or dry) stained the floor, walls and white benches of the all rooms. The main hallways was always like the if some dogs had been doing messy things there.

http://racing.eldiariomontanes.es/ar...2-264xXx80.jpg

I feel sorrow for those women who asked me to wait for them outside the males' toilet because women's one had no locked....
    My boss says she so disappointed on me...

ReputationRep:
    I will look for something better. Thank you guys

ReputationRep:
    After this laboural nightmare I got a job interview in two days.

ReputationRep:
    just tell your boss your fed up and she should get another monkey to do her dirty work and walk out.
    Dont put it down as a reference and don't put it on your cv, its not worth it unless you get £20 an hour, there are alwways other jobs around.

well done on getting an inerview for else where, if they as about it just tell them the truth about how you were treated and what you weree expected to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighthesim)
    just tell your boss your fed up and she should get another monkey to do her dirty work and walk out.
    Dont put it down as a reference and don't put it on your cv, its not worth it unless you get £20 an hour, there are alwways other jobs around.

well done on getting an inerview for else where, if they as about it just tell them the truth about how you were treated and what you weree expected to do.
    Thank you for your support. Really.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.