Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there any logic behind how Oxford contact you to inform you of their decision, post-interview? I've heard that it's less common to get emailed, unless you're an international student. Is that true? I can't imagine someone getting a phone call if they're getting rejected, surely... Or does this happen?
    Somebody enlighten me please!

The wait is driving me insane. :P

ReputationRep:
    I got a letter, and so did most people I know. There were a few phone calls...one was an international friend, but I think some of the friends who got phone calls were based in the UK too. As far as I know, letters are most common, unless you're an international student, in which case a phone call seems more likely. I haven't heard of anyone being emailed.

Either way, it doesn't matter! You'll hear soon, in one way or another.

ReputationRep:
    Letters are the traditional method but the most common method also.

ReputationRep:
    Most people in the UK will get letters, but many internationals will be contacted by other means so that they don't have to wait for the post. I received an email and my other international friend received a letter, but he heard back a few days later than I did.

ReputationRep:
    The Barasenose info sheet seemed to imply that decisions letters are sent through post. However, since I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for mine to arrive, I emailed the Admissions Officer (who's been a real darling!) and he okayed my request for email instead.

Since colleges tend to differ, I think the best way is just to email/phone and ask! At any rate, we should all hear before Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    Merton seems to have emailed all candidates in recent years, then sent a letter.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I heard some cases when people heard that they got in by text message

ReputationRep:
    I know that Univ' said that they would sent out letters to everyone, but e-mails to internationals (non-UK), too. They also have a policy of not giving out decisions on the phone and I actually think that that is true for most of the colleges (correct me if I am wrong).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    I heard some cases when people heard that they got in by text message
    Yeah, I can imagine that. "dear cndidate,cngratz,u gt into oxfrd.cnditionl offr aaa.urs faithfully,admissions tutrs xx"

ReputationRep:
    This was last year: As I am an EU resident, I was e-mailed scans of all the letters. When I got in, I got a call by one of the tutors who interviewed me. I am told most medics were notified by phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedbird)
    Yeah, I can imagine that. "dear cndidate,cngratz,u gt into oxfrd.cnditionl offr aaa.urs faithfully,admissions tutrs xx"
    Heh heh. Or "OMFG yr intvu with me was, like, brill. U R in uncnditionl, no need 2 worry bout A lev result"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shoshin)
    Heh heh. Or "OMFG yr intvu with me was, like, brill. U R in uncnditionl, no need 2 worry bout A lev result"
    haha, love that don't forget the 'xXx' they'd add onto the end of the text!
    imagine the rejection text as well...

ReputationRep:
    It was getting closer to the interview date, so I called up; and then they told me they'd send me an email within the day. I got the email (an electronic copy of the letter); and the actual letter in the post the day after.
    It felt like I got rejected twice. -_-

[Oh, I forgot to mention, I'm an International student; applied for Engineering, last year; St. Edmunds college, I believe]

ReputationRep:
    Most colleges (all?) stick with printed and signed letters because it makes it easier for the college's tutor for admissions to check them all VERY carefully before they get signed and posted. If an offer is made to the wrong person, even by mistake, it would be very hard to back-track. That's why lots of the emails are of scans of the actual printed letter.

:sheep:

ReputationRep:
    I was called - maybe because of snow they don't want to delay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperPatchKid)
    I was called - maybe because of snow they don't want to delay?
    When did you receive a call and what college? I'm dying here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by szuhalpno)
    When did you receive a call and what college? I'm dying here
    St Hugh's PPE - don't worry I'm the only one I know to hear! Last year I found out (rejection) on either the 21st or 22nd and I think the bulk of people find out then.

ReputationRep:
    I got my letter today from St Anne's

I think though the snow might delay the post in the UK, though? I mean, I live in London, but it must be really hard getting the mail up north?

ReputationRep:
    Varies by college. If anyone's interested, I emailed Queen's and they are ONLY doing letters (for UK students, anyway)

ReputationRep:
    I'm so excited for you, everyone! I wish Cambridge was a bit faster in sending out results...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.