Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Someone I was at school with died in a car accident over the weekend. I didn't particularly know him - he wasn't a close friend - I did know him, and he was a pleasant enough person.

I feel very ... odd. I used to stand behind him in the queue for dinner, watch him compete in sports day, sit next to him in exams. I have school photos of him, and now he's just gone. He was my age, and now he's dead.

Like I say, I didn't really know him so it would be inappropriate to post on his Facebook memorial or go to the service, but knowing he died so quickly makes me feel very fragile. Is that normal?

ReputationRep:
    Same happened to me...... Its normal. Crap but normal.

ReputationRep:
    Death is a weird thing. Knowing that a person no longer exists. You will never hear them, see them, smell them ever again. It's a strange feeling.

ReputationRep:
    I had a mate who went like this - cancer took him. Again, not a close friend, but someone I hung about with at school.

When he passed I was gutted for him and his family, again a wholly decent bloke. I can't say that it affected my look on life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Someone I was at school with died in a car accident over the weekend. I didn't particularly know him - he wasn't a close friend - I did know him, and he was a pleasant enough person.

I feel very ... odd. I used to stand behind him in the queue for dinner, watch him compete in sports day, sit next to him in exams. I have school photos of him, and now he's just gone. He was my age, and now he's dead.

Like I say, I didn't really know him so it would be inappropriate to post on his Facebook memorial or go to the service, but knowing he died so quickly makes me feel very fragile. Is that normal?
    perfectly normal.

you got to accept death is a part of life. it is okay to be upset about it but try not to get too upset over it, it will make it worse

(Original post by Rzc)
    perfectly normal.

you got to accept death is a part of life. it is okay to be upset about it but try not to get too upset over it, it will make it worse
    I'm not particularly upset, and that sounds awful but, like I say, I wasn't close with him. It's thoughts like, if we have a school reunion, he won't be there.

Maybe it's because he's the first to go, as well. He was just so young, and it hasn't been that long since we were all still at school...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly upset, and that sounds awful but, like I say, I wasn't close with him. It's thoughts like, if we have a school reunion, he won't be there.

Maybe it's because he's the first to go, as well. He was just so young, and it hasn't been that long since we were all still at school...
    that is perfectly reasonable and you should be upset of course. just achknowledge that you are not the only one that feels like this it is a part of life and unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's normal. I think it's because we're young, we don't think we need to worry about dying because it's so many years in the future. When something like this happens, it hits you that it may not be years in the future. It could be today, tomorrow, next year, in 100 years. It's the uncertainty of it all. Like, you're driving in your car and full of life then crash and that's it, it's all over within the blink of an eye. Wow TSR has really put me in a cheery mood tonight...!

ReputationRep:
    It's completely normal. Death is a tragic thing. It doesn't just affect those close to the person. If anything, I think it shows the strong compassion you have for others.

ReputationRep:

It's perfectly fine to feel that way.

My friend's cousin died a few weeks ago in a car accident too. I've never met him, but because so many of my friends knew him and just knowing someone so close to my close friends has gone forever, made feel so small and vulnerable and sad.

I think it's the realization that we're so small in this massive world, and anything can happen, at any time, out of our hands, without us expecting it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.