Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am debating whether to drop out of uni. Its my first year and I'm just not getting the uni feeling. Im finding it really hard to make friends and have fun!

I am a person who likes to go out and have fun but I can also manage my work very well. I had to go through clearing to get my place and I could only get accommodation about 30 minute walk away. The flat im living in is full of second year girls. They have all got their friend so I don't go out with them. I find it hard to make decent mates at uni because I don't live on halls.

All I see is people having amazing times and living the student life.. All I do is go home to a flat on my own every night and never have any fun. I believe you only live once so you should enjoy it as best as you can. I'm not doing that right now and Its making me want to leave :/. Ive always been close to my friends and home and we were always out having a laugh and what not.

The course isn't to bad but I just feel so lonely and its making me depressed. I was thinking of dropping out, working for a year then maybe go back to uni closer to home next year.

Should I drop out? Please share your thoughts and experiences

There are plenty of societies in universities, shouldn't be that difficult finding one you like and join. How come you didn't make any friends from your degree class?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Vishkaaa)
      Hi,

I am debating whether to drop out of uni. Its my first year and I'm just not getting the uni feeling. Im finding it really hard to make friends and have fun!

I am a person who likes to go out and have fun but I can also manage my work very well. I had to go through clearing to get my place and I could only get accommodation about 30 minute walk away. The flat im living in is full of second year girls. They have all got their friend so I don't go out with them. I find it hard to make decent mates at uni because I don't live on halls.

All I see is people having amazing times and living the student life.. All I do is go home to a flat on my own every night and never have any fun. I believe you only live once so you should enjoy it as best as you can. I'm not doing that right now and Its making me want to leave :/. Ive always been close to my friends and home and we were always out having a laugh and what not.

The course isn't to bad but I just feel so lonely and its making me depressed. I was thinking of dropping out, working for a year then maybe go back to uni closer to home next year.

Should I drop out? Please share your thoughts and experiences
      A room full of girls is good

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Vishkaaa)
      How do you feel about your course, beyond 'not too bad'? :p:

ReputationRep:
      l2 meet new people

ReputationRep:
      have you tried making friends or have you just been going to class and then going back to your accommodation and expecting people to just walk up to you and instantly become your friend (not being sarcastic by the way, just asking) try making an effort, join a club or just head to the student bar and start talking to people

ReputationRep:
      I dropped out because I hated my course. Went back to college and am reapplying now. I feel a lot more confident about Uni this time, a lot more mature but also really excited about it!

If you like your course then stay man, try and get more involved and at the end of the day your first year probably doesn't count towards your degree and all you need is a pass so take some time out to enjoy yourself Moving closer home won't help you get your independence, unless you think that in a year you'll be more mature and more ready. I feel more mature and ready after a year and half but that's probably because I'm bored out of my brains when all my friends and now my younger sister are all away studying

Why not see how you feel at the end of the year and take it from there. Make a conscious effort to go out and meet people, or meet your friend's friends or whatever and just don't worry too much about work?

Although the way you said your course is 'ok' kind of infers you're not overly impressed with it so maybe that's something? Give it another term and then talk to your parents about it maybe? Most peope who drop out do so because they don't like the course, just if you go back in 2012 the fees are obviously going to be a lot more expensive!

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
      Go to a club.

ReputationRep:
      FFS, you're there to learn and hopefully obtain some useful skills, not to experience some magical university feeling.

Stop being a wimp, learn to be more independent and get your degree.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.