Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I've applied and recieved an offer for Keele to study History and Politics for 300 points. I haven't had a chance to visit yet but from what i've read online, people tell me it's amazing. It sounds it... I'm wondering if anybody can give me experiences... give me good and bad please!
    I'm visiting in March but it's between Lancaster and Keele for my firm!

ReputationRep:
    My friend applied there and he said that it was one of the nicest unis hes ever been to!
    He applied for pharmacy though and that department has been recently redeveloped me thinks.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't doing those subjects but I found the area so so so boring.

I'm not sure if it was the whole "Keele Bubble" thing I didn't like...it seemed to me once you were there you could never leave! Well, except by a poxy bus that took forever to get anywhere and was full of grannies taking up the seats.

Other than that it is a nice university. lol I just couldn't hack being so bored I'm too much of a city gal I unfortunately found out too late lol...plus I hated one of my subjects. haha

I mean of course if you drink there is probably things to do but that to me is a boring past time. lol

Plus if you like squirrels you are in for a treat! You can even get a hoody with a squirrel on. *pass out*

Everyone is different however you have to go experience it for yourself!

ReputationRep:
    I love Keele

I do IR but I have taken a lot of politics modules, the lectures are pretty interesting and most of the tutorials are helpful. You have to odd lecturer that bores you do death but that's the same everywhere. Most of my friends are History and Politics bods and they appear to have minimal complaints about the course.

Keele is in a little bit of a bubble but the transport links are fairly good and you can get to most places for £1.55 with your Keele Card. The station has trains to Birmingham and Manchester hourly so you can go a bit further afield

You need to come and visit to decide whether it's for you or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurah5498)
    I love Keele

I do IR but I have taken a lot of politics modules, the lectures are pretty interesting and most of the tutorials are helpful. You have to odd lecturer that bores you do death but that's the same everywhere. Most of my friends are History and Politics bods and they appear to have minimal complaints about the course.

Keele is in a little bit of a bubble but the transport links are fairly good and you can get to most places for £1.55 with your Keele Card. The station has trains to Birmingham and Manchester hourly so you can go a bit further afield

You need to come and visit to decide whether it's for you or not
    Thank you! This has been really helpful!

ReputationRep:
    I do History and Politics at Keele.

I've found both courses pretty good.
    The SPIRE department (which features Politics) runs a tight ship and features loads of really good professors. They also make good use of the online learning system (KLE, Web CT, VLE... whatever the hell it's called these days).

History is loosely run, tbh. It lacks coherency and direction, and you tend to do a small number of big modules (whereas Politics is a large number of smaller modules) this means you get to know fewer professors in the department. This is especially true in the last half of the course. In the second semester of the second year we had a research project, the technical term for which Dr Morgan explained was a "**** off and find out course" ... (he's the most awesome professor :awesome: ).
    Then in third year we do one special subject all year in crazy depth.
    Because History is so research focused here the library has an impressive amount of material on basically everything. If you like researching History as I do you will enjoy it.
    It's a very old-school History department which could do with some modernising. I'm pretty sure History professors are the only professors who use overhead projectors... you know, with the acetate and the light underneath...

Keele has restructured its degrees since I started so I'm not sure whether this will all be the same for you.
    But anyway: Politics - great; History - room for improvement but still good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Hey

I've applied and recieved an offer for Keele to study History and Politics for 300 points. I haven't had a chance to visit yet but from what i've read online, people tell me it's amazing. It sounds it... I'm wondering if anybody can give me experiences... give me good and bad please!
    I'm visiting in March but it's between Lancaster and Keele for my firm!
    When I visited Keele on an open day I thought the campus was really pretty Not sure about history and politics though as I was interested in law

ReputationRep:
    I'm an IR student at Keele and I've just finished a Politics module. Politics is really good, lots of fun if that's what you're into. Very good discussions. If that's what you're into I'd go for it Also, Politics and History is a pretty popular combination, so you'll find loads of people on exactly the same course as you, which is good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.