Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Super Mario Sunshine: Retrofication Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else remember this game!? I freaking loved it!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed Sunshine.

ReputationRep:
    The platforming trials without FLUDD were the best. Great music too!

ReputationRep:
    It got reviews that weren't much lower than Mario 64 when it first came out but later reviews have been a more critical about the game.

The odd thing about the game is how much more fun it is messing around in the hub word with your nozzle attachements, Isle Delfino, than it is playing nearly all of the levels (except for Noki Bay which is like a Prince of Persia type cliff face).

In many places I felt like I was playing a tech demo that hadn't quite been finished. In fairness, that's mainly by comparison to the likes of Banjo Kazooie which was an engrossing adventure but Super Mario Sunshine doesn't have the level design or atmosphere to put it up there with BK. Yoshi feels tacked on too. The game is mainly enjoyable for how it feels to control Mario in the hub world and the bonus stages are fun.

Unlike Mario 64 or Galaxy, Super Mario Sunshine wasn't closely worked on by Miyamoto- he mainly left it to his team so that he could concentrate on The Wind Waker. The 2 games are similar in terms of the island theme.

I prefer playing it to Mario 64 though - I thought that the Mario 64 sprite was ugly and I found the game inpenetrable.

I know that I am being a bit harsh on SMS - the graphics are bright and sparkling in the hub world, I enjoyed the experience back in 2002 and would enjoy returning to it but it has its frustrations which weren't really acknowledged in the original reviews.

It seems to me that, in retrospect, Super Mario Sunshine (which wasn't classed as Mario 128 remember despite the Gamecube having 128 bits) was used as a springboard to make the game that Miyamoto really concentrated on, Super Mario Galaxy- but I haven't played that and I know that some prefer SMS.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously these retro games all deserve a place in the attic

ReputationRep:
    THIS GAME WAS AWESOME.

Although The Wind Waker and Starfox Adventures were better imo.

And I never actually finished the game, I don't think - I just liked messing around spraying water at stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    It got reviews that weren't much lower than Mario 64 when it first came out but later reviews have been a more critical about the game.

The odd thing about the game is how much more fun it is messing around in the hub word with your nozzle attachements, Isle Delfino, than it is playing nearly all of the levels (except for Noki Bay which is like a Prince of Persia type cliff face).

In many places I felt like I was playing a tech demo that hadn't quite been finished. In fairness, that's mainly by comparison to the likes of Banjo Kazooie which was an engrossing adventure but Super Mario Sunshine doesn't have the level design or atmosphere to put it up there with BK. Yoshi feels tacked on too. The game is mainly enjoyable for how it feels to control Mario in the hub world and the bonus stages are fun.

Unlike Mario 64 or Galaxy, Super Mario Sunshine wasn't closely worked on by Miyamoto- he mainly left it to his team so that he could concentrate on The Wind Waker. The 2 games are similar in terms of the island theme.

I prefer playing it to Mario 64 though - I thought that the Mario 64 sprite was ugly and I found the game inpenetrable.

I know that I am being a bit harsh on SMS - the graphics are bright and sparkling in the hub world, I enjoyed the experience back in 2002 and would enjoy returning to it but it has its frustrations which weren't really acknowledged in the original reviews.

It seems to me that, in retrospect, Super Mario Sunshine (which wasn't classed as Mario 128 remember despite the Gamecube having 128 bits) was used as a springboard to make the game that Miyamoto really concentrated on, Super Mario Galaxy- but I haven't played that and I know that some prefer SMS.
    Yeah I know what you mean; I kind of got the impression they did that deliberately though.

Yeah lol! Personally I prefer sunshine, mainly because I played it before I played 64 (I had a N64 but didn't buy SM64 until afterwards lol)

Yeah. I think if I was to play it now I'd be able to complete with relative ease, not just because I've played it, but because looking back when I used to play it, I was 10 and I did find it challenging but fun - but Galaxy is quite hard for kids and adults alike. I really don't know what I prefer though: Galaxy or Sunshine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)

Mario 128 was really only a tech demo that Nintendo probably thought would not be possible to evolve into a full game. But I agree that the concept probably helped in creating Galaxy. Sunshine obviously evolved along different lines, thus I would think the lack of "128" in the title of Mario Sunshine wouldn't mean it was created on a shoestring budget or with poorer tech.

IMO Sunshine is a good game but it's let down by frustrating Yoshi platforming sections and is severely lacking in scope and imagination when compared to Mario 64 and Galaxy. Those bits without Fludd with the retro tunes playing in the background were the highlight of the game for me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.