The Student Room Group

The Oddities of Women in the West

I've noticed many oddities in women's behaviour (obviously not all women, but a sizeable majority) over my short 16 years.

-The obsession with 'femininity', shaving the body, long or fanciful hairstyles, makeup, clothes etc.
-Do not often make decisions very quickly, if at all (have noticed this in the difference between going out with female & male friends)
-Not much pride in physical strength or 'handiness' (DIY, for example)
-Excessive cowardice (often exaggerated)
-The tendency to gossip
-More revealing clothing (Tight, reveals breasts, legs etc.)

Now, I would like to say now that none of this is exclusive to women, but I have seen it arise more prominently in groups of women. I would also like to say that by no means am I saying men have no faults, but I am focusing on women for the time being.

Discuss? Explain?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Haven't really studied a large enough sample size of women to conclude such a result.
Reply 2
took u 16 years to work out what a female is, congratulations.
Society assigns roles to each gender. The roles society assigns are different alll around the world. So what appears normal to one group of people will appear strange to another. In the UK, this is how society has assigned the roles. This is not necessarily true for everyone, but it is how 'society' expects indivduals to behaviour. If someone does not conform to societies labels, people call them weird and may not accept that. Society changes over time so the roles and labels will also change.
Reply 4
The first one is a bit silly. What's odd about females desiring to be feminine? xD
Reply 5
Original post by Lewroll
Society assigns roles to each gender. The roles society assigns are different alll around the world. So what appears normal to one group of people will appear strange to another. In the UK, this is how society has assigned the roles. This is not necessarily true for everyone, but it is how 'society' expects indivduals to behaviour. If someone does not conform to societies labels, people call them weird and may not accept that. Society changes over time so the roles and labels will also change.

Perfectly understandable, but it still seems rather odd that people still agree to this sort of system. Surely these things are rather detrimental to women, however they still go along with it?
Reply 6
Original post by riotgrrl
The first one is a bit silly. What's odd about females desiring to be feminine? xD

Because being 'feminine' requires so much effort.
Reply 7
Original post by najinaji
I've noticed many oddities in women's behaviour (obviously not all women, but a sizeable majority) over my short 16 years.

Where are you originally from?
Perfectly understandable, but it still seems rather odd that people still agree to this sort of system. Surely these things are rather detrimental to women, however they still go along with it?

One word: Conformity
Reply 9
Original post by Hooovan*
Where are you originally from?

Oh, I'm English. Lived here my whole life.

As I said as society changes, so do the roles and norms. Look how far the western world has come for women in such a short time (a few hundred years). Now if someone saw a woman who stayed in the house or day, working cooking cleaning and looking after the kids, a woman who cant vote, doesnt work in a good job and whos only goal in life was to please her husband, they would think that woman was crazy. The role has changed, its still changing. Will it ever change completely, only time will tell.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yeah! Give me a hairy butch but oppressed woman in a ninja outfit any day of the week!
Reply 12

-The obsession with 'femininity', shaving the body, long or fanciful hairstyles, makeup, clothes etc.
-Do not often make decisions very quickly, if at all (have noticed this in the difference between going out with female & male friends)
-The tendency to gossip

Now, I would like to say now that none of this is exclusive to women, but I have seen it arise more prominently in groups of women. I would also like to say that by no means am I saying men have no faults, but I am focusing on women for the time being.

Discuss? Explain?

1) Hangover from the past, though women seem to prefer it nonetheless, on the whole.
2) I know men who are far worse. That's anecdotal at best.
3) That's social upbringing. Women aren't brought up to take pride in being "handy". That's changing, though, slowly.
4) I'm not sure on that one.
5) Men are just as bad.
6) Everyone who shows off their body uses revealing clothing. Howver, the fact men don't have breasts makes it harder for us. You only find men showing off their torsos, generally, when they have exceptionally muscled bodies.

Most of your points are down to society and gender roles which are slowly being changed. However, men are attracted to women, and enjoy looking at them. Women know this and will try to exploit it by making themselves look good, which has a large benefit of making themselves feel good just by making the effort. Men also try to look good for women. :dontknow: A lot of it is also down to fashion trends starting from the 50s/60s.
Reply 13

-The tendency to gossip

Discuss? Explain?

This would be the result of centuries' conditioning, where women didn't need to work, meaning that the men took care of them, and they had time to take care of themselves.
I'm about to tell you the greatest truth in human history.

Are you sitting comfortably?

Everyone on the planet is completely frigging insane.
:bong2:
Are you an alien?
Reply 16
Original post by Tootles
This would be the result of centuries' conditioning, where women didn't need to work, meaning that the men took care of them, and they had time to take care of themselves.

This actually makes an awful lot of sense.
Reply 17
Original post by missygeorgia
Are you an alien?

I often feel like one, if I'm to be entirely honest with you.
Reply 18
I've noticed that women in the East tend to be submissive, gullible, unquestionably religious and cover up far too much flesh for my liking! Just an observation...
Original post by INTJ
I've noticed that women in the East tend to be submissive, gullible, unquestionably religious and cover up far too much flesh for my liking! Just an observation...

Thats not fair, it sounds like you're attacking the OP there. Women in the east are only like that because thats how their society is, its not their fault. If you go back a few 100 years in western countries women would probably be very similar to how you just described. Societies change at different rates, which is why you have some tribes in africa and south america who are probably the same as they were 100s of years ago. The only reason you think those things are strange are because they arent found in our society, if you lived there, you probably wouldnt find it strange. Is it a bad thing? depends who you ask.

Quick Reply

Latest