Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help!! Harrods xmas temp - assessment!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have an assessment on Friday at Harrods for a xmas temp. sales associate position...what can i expect? what do i have to do? anyone been to one of these before??

any tips, advice and general info would be great!!

Thanks!! =D

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to that on Friday too! Maybe I'll see you? :p: I'm gonna watch this thread, I might need tips too :yep:

ReputationRep:
    OK, if you do a Google search, there's a lot of good results on this topic, including old TSR threads: http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...e77c7d44f79299

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    OK, if you do a Google search, there's a lot of good results on this topic, including old TSR threads: http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...e77c7d44f79299
    ah okay. what time are you going on Friday?? I'm really nervous and i'm almost sure i won't get the job, but i'm going for the experience xD

and thanks for the link - i'll check it out in a sec!!

ReputationRep:
    @CherryCherryBoomBoom: By the way, have you had or going to have a telephone interview before Friday??

ReputationRep:
    Sell me some lego. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluebubble)
    ah okay. what time are you going on Friday?? I'm really nervous and i'm almost sure i won't get the job, but i'm going for the experience xD

and thanks for the link - i'll check it out in a sec!!
    Aww, don't be like that! Be optimistic, you never know

I'm going at 12:00am :yep:

@CherryCherryBoomBoom: By the way, have you had or going to have a telephone interview before Friday??
    They never said I would have a phone interview, I've just been invited straight to the assesment centre. I think maybe cos I'm only applying for a temp? :dontknow:

Do/did you have a phone interview?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about Harrods specifically, but if you could give your local Connexions a visit before your interview, they will help you prepare really well, giving you a list of possible questions and helping you think of answers! It really helped me. Good luck!

By the way, did you need any previous retail experience to temp at Harrods?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemnomnom)
    I'm not sure about Harrods specifically, but if you could give your local Connexions a visit before your interview, they will help you prepare really well, giving you a list of possible questions and helping you think of answers! It really helped me. Good luck!

By the way, did you need any previous retail experience to temp at Harrods?
    I'm not particularly sure if retail experience is neccessary. Though, I do have some myself as I volunteer in a charity shop. I think you may as well just give it a go, just in case.

I like the idea about visiting Connexions for interview practice, thanks for that, I may try it :top:

ReputationRep:
    Aww, don't be like that! Be optimistic, you never know

I'm going at 12:00am :yep:

They never said I would have a phone interview, I've just been invited straight to the assesment centre. I think maybe cos I'm only applying for a temp? :dontknow:

Do/did you have a phone interview?
    I'm going at 12 too!! I'll see you there then!! xD Btw can you PM me your name or something?? xD

I didn't get a phone interview - my friend said they usually do that for sales associate roles, but i guess because it's for xmas temp. it might not be needed? xD

ReputationRep:
    I'm going at 12 too!! I'll see you there then!! xD Btw can you PM me your name or something?? xD

I didn't get a phone interview - my friend said they usually do that for sales associate roles, but i guess because it's for xmas temp. it might not be needed? xD
    From what I've found out, the recruitment process is a bit shorter for temporary jobs, than it is for permanent jobs, so that must just be it. Apparently, part of the assessment involves working in a group, doing a presentation and pretending to sell a good, something like that. So, that'll be interesting :holmes:

Tbh, I can't even remember the last time I went to Harrods, lol. Maybe once or twice when I was little, :dontknow: but definitely not recently. So I'm gonna spend the next few days reading up all about Harrods, to help me get prepared XD

ReputationRep:
    From what I've found out, the recruitment process is a bit shorter for temporary jobs, than it is for permanent jobs, so that must just be it. Apparently, part of the assessment involves working in a group, doing a presentation and pretending to sell a good, something like that. So, that'll be interesting :holmes:

Tbh, I can't even remember the last time I went to Harrods, lol. Maybe once or twice when I was little, :dontknow: but definitely not recently. So I'm gonna spend the next few days reading up all about Harrods, to help me get prepared XD
    haha yeah i read about doing role plays and selling products etc. I'm really nervous about that!! Hope we don't have to do too much - the whole process last from 12-1:30pm doesn't it?? I hope it doesn't involve too much group work - i'll be so nervous!! xD

I went to Harrods at the end of November, but that was the first time i went for a long time - i don't remember the time before!! lol! I'm going to need to read up on it too!! =D

ReputationRep:
    I attended an assessment centre in November and was lucky enough to get the job (temp. Christmas staff). I had a group interview followed by two one on one interviews.

The most important thing that they are looking for in the group interview is a bit of personality, and an ability to gel well with people whilst retaining your sense of individuality- you'll be selling expensive goods to customers expecting great service after all. The more technical stuff will follow in the subsequent interviews- any retail experience (not at all essential but gives you some common ground with the interviewer who will probably be a line manager etc) , "why Harrods" etc. It's worth preparing a few answers for those, and do try and be consistent between different interviews with your story! The other key thing is to ensure that you are immaculately presented- don't do what one guy did and turn up in chino's and an un-ironed shirt. He didn't have a chance the second he walked through the door. And, finally, keep smiling and be yourself!

TBH, all pretty standard interview practice really!

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gurkin123)
    I attended an assessment centre in November and was lucky enough to get the job (temp. Christmas staff). I had a group interview followed by two one on one interviews.

The most important thing that they are looking for in the group interview is a bit of personality, and an ability to gel well with people whilst retaining your sense of individuality- you'll be selling expensive goods to customers expecting great service after all. The more technical stuff will follow in the subsequent interviews- any retail experience (not at all essential but gives you some common ground with the interviewer who will probably be a line manager etc) , "why Harrods" etc. It's worth preparing a few answers for those, and do try and be consistent between different interviews with your story! The other key thing is to ensure that you are immaculately presented- don't do what one guy did and turn up in chino's and an un-ironed shirt. He didn't have a chance the second he walked through the door. And, finally, keep smiling and be yourself!

Best of luck!
    Thank you!! This is really helpful!

I'm most nervous about the group interview - heard they make you do role plays etc? How big were the group interviews??

ReputationRep:

Best of luck!
    Thanks for this insight, I find it helpful :yy:

Can I ask a couple more questions?

Do you know roughly how many people out of the whole interview group get the job in the end?

Also, is it only one day of interviews for a temp job, or would I have to go to another as well?

And how long after the interviews do they say whether you've got the job or not? And how long after do you start working?

ReputationRep:
    "I'm most nervous about the group interview - heard they make you do role plays etc? How big were the group interviews??"

The group interview consisted of about 15 people, and was structured into two main parts. First off, we had to stand up in front of everyone and, in a few minutes, describe who we were, why we wanted to work at Harrods and what we liked to do in our spare time. There was also a silly question that we had to answer- "What biscuit are you and why do you feel that it best represents you". All simple stuff really- try and make a good positive impression- don't mumble into your shoes or anything like that!

The second part was the dreaded group exercise- we were put into groups of 3 and asked to discuss what we thought good service was. After about 10 minutes of discussion, we were told we would, as a 3, have to present our ideas to the group as a whole. It's important to not sit back in this stage- get involved and try and stand out a bit! You want them to remember your name above the others in your group!

In reality the group interview was something I quite enjoyed. Just remember that at the start everyone is in the same boat and just as nervous as you and you'll be fine

"Do you know roughly how many people out of the whole interview group get the job in the end?"

I believe that 3 of us got the job! Not entirely sure though. I do know that about 10 of the original 15 people were sent home after the group interview though which seemed a bit harsh!

"Also, is it only one day of interviews for a temp job, or would I have to go to another as well?"

I had the first of the two one on one's on the same day, then the second interview was the next day, although if you can't be there then they're pretty flexible with dates to come in. I had a few problems as I'm a student- it worked out OK in the end but I know people who had the final interview two weeks after the initial group interview!

"And how long after the interviews do they say whether you've got the job or not? And how long after do you start working?"

I got told instantly after the third interview. Made my day! haha. I started working the week after- you go for two compulsory training days where you learn stuff like how to use the tills, a bit of history of the store etc. Pretty boring stuff but it is paid unlike training days I've had for other jobs so that was a nice bonus!
    ETA- I got told after each respective interview whether I had made it through. So hopefully there should be no waiting around for that email or phonecall!

Hope I've answered to some sort of helpful degree...let me know how you both get on and maybe I'll see you in the store! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    :yy:
    3 out of 15 people get the job? :eek: Woah, OK then. I guess I've got to try pretty hard at this, eh? Again, thanks for the wonderful and helpful insight

ReputationRep:
    "I'm most nervous about the group interview - heard they make you do role plays etc? How big were the group interviews??"

The group interview consisted of about 15 people, and was structured into two main parts. First off, we had to stand up in front of everyone and, in a few minutes, describe who we were, why we wanted to work at Harrods and what we liked to do in our spare time. There was also a silly question that we had to answer- "What biscuit are you and why do you feel that it best represents you". All simple stuff really- try and make a good positive impression- don't mumble into your shoes or anything like that!

The second part was the dreaded group exercise- we were put into groups of 3 and asked to discuss what we thought good service was. After about 10 minutes of discussion, we were told we would, as a 3, have to present our ideas to the group as a whole. It's important to not sit back in this stage- get involved and try and stand out a bit! You want them to remember your name above the others in your group!

In reality the group interview was something I quite enjoyed. Just remember that at the start everyone is in the same boat and just as nervous as you and you'll be fine

"Do you know roughly how many people out of the whole interview group get the job in the end?"

I believe that 3 of us got the job! Not entirely sure though. I do know that about 10 of the original 15 people were sent home after the group interview though which seemed a bit harsh!

"Also, is it only one day of interviews for a temp job, or would I have to go to another as well?"

I had the first of the two one on one's on the same day, then the second interview was the next day, although if you can't be there then they're pretty flexible with dates to come in. I had a few problems as I'm a student- it worked out OK in the end but I know people who had the final interview two weeks after the initial group interview!

"And how long after the interviews do they say whether you've got the job or not? And how long after do you start working?"

I got told instantly after the third interview. Made my day! haha. I started working the week after- you go for two compulsory training days where you learn stuff like how to use the tills, a bit of history of the store etc. Pretty boring stuff but it is paid unlike training days I've had for other jobs so that was a nice bonus!
    ETA- I got told after each respective interview whether I had made it through. So hopefully there should be no waiting around for that email or phonecall!

Hope I've answered to some sort of helpful degree...let me know how you both get on and maybe I'll see you in the store! :cool:
    Thank you so much for this! I hope it won't be too bad on the day!! but 3/15 i'm just going to keep telling myself...i'm going for the experience Thanks again!! much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    Darn, I just got the email from them this afternoon to tell me that I'm rejected :emo:. Major disappointment . Oh well, back to my job hunting I guess :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Darn, I just got the email from them this afternoon to tell me that I'm rejected :emo:. Major disappointment . Oh well, back to my job hunting I guess :sigh:
    yeah same just going to focus on uni for now xD good luck with everything and nice meeting you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.