Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got a B for my GCSE maths, I've looked through some A Level maths revision books, and my jaw completely dropped. I couldn't understand most of the questions/ examples. Is it like this for most people during their first few weeks of A Level maths? Would I be able to catch up in class?:eek::confused:

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in GCSE maths and and A at AS (I'm doing A2 at the moment and am predicted an A over all ). So yeah I mean I managed to do well and I don't see a reason why you shouldn't so long as you put the work in.

ReputationRep:
    It depends, there's a guy at my school in year 13, got a B in gcse and ended up with 290/300 in AS. C1 is very easy and C2 and ur applied module you may need to work a bit, but overall AS is a doddle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    I got a B for my GCSE maths, I've looked through some A Level maths revision books, and my jaw completely dropped. I couldn't understand most of the questions/ examples. Is it like this for most people during their first few weeks of A Level maths? Would I be able to catch up in class?:eek::confused:
    That would be because you won't have learnt most of it. You might have done some stuff on indicies, surds and quadratics at GCSE, but stuff like differentiation, intergration, arithmetic sequences is something you won't have done at GCSE. You'll be taught it all so you'll be fine. There are other kids who got Bs in my AS Maths class coping OK. The only thing I would say is maths is hard, so don't just take it as a last option because if you're not committed, you won't get anywhere.

I looked through the AS textbook when I first started A level maths and I was like :eek: but once you learn it, you understand it.

ReputationRep:
    You looked through an AS textbook was was scared?

I looked through the Further additional maths modules in year 3 and i was surprised at the lack of difficulty.

RIPPPPPPPP RAHUUUUU

ReputationRep:
    Work Hard, Don't take it for granted. It is easy, but with a bit of work, unless you're naturally gifted.
    I got a B at GCSE, E in AS, but now finding it damn easy. I didn't put work in, so got crap out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Got a B at GCSE (did intermediate when they did it), got a high B at AS (Stats module let me down) and am predicted an A at A2.

Main reason is it is so much more enjoyable than GCSE maths, you do pure mathematical work rather than stupid questions like 'a washing machine has 40% off...' etc. I hated gcse maths but now A-level is my favourite subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by extricated)
    you looked through an as textbook was was scared?

I looked through the further additional maths modules in year 3 and i was surprised at the lack of difficulty.

Ripppppppp rahuuuuu :e:e:e
    c4 will blow u.....let alone f add maths.

Rip shu and abdel :e:e:e:e:e:e:e

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    It's pretty easy if you have the work ethic and logic. I barely attended school for 3 years, scraped a B at GCSE and just got 100% and 96% in two mock exams. Having said that, there are others in my class that got a better grade at GCSE level than I did and are absolutely baffled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuki)
    If you enjoy it, it'll be very very easy.

And, yes. It's normal to look at some examples, and to be completely gob smacked. I was like that when I first started. But that's what teachers are for! Now, my A2 Maths UMS is 279/300 (stupid M1) and, i'm currently doing AS/A2 Further Maths in a year.

It's fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rahul.S)
    c4 will blow u.....let alone f add maths.

Rip shu and abdel :e:e:e:e:e:e:e
    Depends on which spec and that difficulty varies.

On the AQA exam board, C3 appears to be the hardest without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marek35)
    Depends on which spec and that difficulty varies.

On the AQA exam board, C3 appears to be the hardest without a doubt.
    LOL i no extricated lol.....jus having a joke etc.

seriously, C3=AUTOMATIC 100 SNM

ReputationRep:
    As said before as long as you put the work in you will do fine. I had an A* at GCSE, didn't put the work in got and got an E in C1, resat along with doing C2 and M1 in the summer, put the work in, got 3 A grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.