Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A young man was tipped out of his wheel chair and beaten by police during last week's tuition fees protest.

ReputationRep:
    You are going to get hundreds of people asking for a source. So here you go: http://www.rstewart.org/2010/12/10/d...y-riot-police/

ReputationRep:
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    So where is the source? Daily Fail?

ReputationRep:
    Newsnight!

any minute now

ReputationRep:
    Omgz we live in a police state!!!!!!:rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
    A young man was tipped out of his wheel chair and beaten by police during last week's tuition fees protest.
    Is this another ignorant futile attempt to judge the entire police force by the actions of two idiotic excuses for officers?

ReputationRep:
    The video doesn't even show it happen, fail.

ReputationRep:
    Give uneducated people authority, virtual unaccountability for their actions, and a weapon and you'll get this. The police were originally established to rough up the poor tenants of the wealthy and aristocratic, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. From what I've personally witnessed of the police they're little better than petty thugs for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's pretty brutal but what was a wheelchair bound person doing in a student protest anyway? What if there's a sudden crowd surge or panic? He would have been pushed aside by the drooling, fearful masses and unceremoniously trampled to death.

(Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    Well that's pretty brutal but what was a wheelchair bound person doing in a student protest anyway? What if there's a sudden crowd surge or panic? He would have been pushed aside by the drooling, fearful masses and unceremoniously trampled to death.
    Yeah, turning up to a protest in a wheelchair wheely doesn't seem like a good idea.

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Give uneducated people authority, virtual unaccountability for their actions, and a weapon and you'll get this. The police were originally established to rough up the poor tenants of the wealthy and aristocratic, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. From what I've personally witnessed of the police they're little better than petty thugs for the most part.
    As much as I laughed at this post, I doubt that policemen from centuries ago are related to those today. Granted some will be, but all of them? Some sort conspiracy where you can only be a copper if your from certain families?

(Original post by Aj12)
    Is this another ignorant futile attempt to judge the entire police force by the actions of two idiotic excuses for officers?
    Fancy seeing you here. How's it going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    The video doesn't even show it happen, fail.
    Have you watched it all? Cause it does...

ReputationRep:
    When everyone panics, people go for the easy targets.

And as a disabled person, the guy probably had even more reason to be protesting than most. People with disability are incredibly economically marginalised and find it difficult no matter what their qualifications are to find well paying employment. He'll be paying off his debt for years and years if he is able to study, in addition to the barriers he faces from society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    As much as I laughed at this post, I doubt that policemen from centuries ago are related to those today. Granted some will be, but all of them? Some sort conspiracy where you can only be a copper if your from certain families?
    I'm obviously not talking about blood, but the police as an institution can be traced back to hired thugs maybe six generations ago. What has changed really? A pretty uniform? I've seen a policeman kick a guy in the face who had his hands cuffed behind his back, and several other occasions where the force was clearly excessive and only served to escalate the situation. They're still largely composed of working class people, with no tertiary education, minimal training, given authority, low accountability and a club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Its a lot more than 2. A mate of mine saw riot cops beating on three 14 year old girls.

They interviewed him on the BBC and asked "Is it true you were rolling towards the police at the time?" as if that could be a provocation...:rolleyes:

The poor kids a cripple ffs. I doubt he could hurt them if he tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    Disabled people should be able to protest if they want to as long as they aren't involved in the violent riots they should be fine. Obviously the policeman who attacked him is a numpty if it was intentional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    Disabled people should be able to protest if they want to as long as they aren't involved in the violent riots they should be fine. Obviously the policeman who attacked him is a numpty if it was intentional.
    Well there's no law stopping them, but it's just asking for trouble imho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    Have you watched it all? Cause it does...
    No, they are looking away and look back after he is out.

What incenses me is the uneven-handed way the BBC ask questions of this young disabled man (Jody McIntyre) in a sceptical manner which they don't employ when asking police representatives about the same situation. :rolleyes:

Have a read of this and the accompanying video of the BBC interview.

http://botherer.org/2010/12/14/the-bbc-and-the-police/

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.