Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know this must sound silly but...I searched all over tsr and there doesn't seem to be any forums explaining how to move in...I mean I'm a girl, small and, lets face it, not strong at all.

I know most people would be dropped off by their parents or bring their own cars or whatever but some of us just simply will not have that luxury so...like..how the **** do I get everything I need to bring to uni by train?

Am I allowed to send stuff beforehand?...How do I kno the measurements? where/who can I ask for this sort of information?...Is there a limit to the number of electric appliencies?

Spoiler:
    Show

I kno that most of these questions will be related to the college and uni I'll go to and I kno it might be a bit too early but, like, any tips would help...I'm gonna need to save money to arrange some of this stuff...and the earlier I book everything (being german and all XP) the better. Also moving stuff from another country needs plannin and anticipation...Add that to the fact that I'm super excited to (finally) start next year and you got a thread about moving in a whole year before even gettin final results...hmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R3L4Y)
    I know this must sound silly but...I searched all over tsr and there doesn't seem to be any forums explaining how to move in...I mean I'm a girl, small and, lets face it, not strong at all.

I know most people would be dropped off by their parents or bring their own cars or whatever but some of us just simply will not have that luxury so...like..how the **** do I get everything I need to bring to uni by train?

Am I allowed to send stuff beforehand?...How do I kno the measurements? where/who can I ask for this sort of information?...Is there a limit to the number of electric appliencies?

Spoiler:
    Show

I kno that most of these questons will be related to the college and uni I'll go to and I kno it might be a bit too early but, like, any tips would help...I'm gonna need to save money to arrange some of this stuff...and the earlier I book everything (being german and all XP) the better. Also moving stuff from another country needs plannin and anticipation...Add that to the fact that I'm super excited to (finally) start next year and you got a thread about moving in a whole year before even gettin final results...hmm
    Limit to electric appliances? i guess your going into a flat or something, not uni halls?.. or do u mean laptop etc.. but there is no limit to that kinda stuff really, just as much space as you have .

Have a quick google of student moving services, perhaps specify the uni your thinking of , look at each one.

I know http://www.deliveriesfirst.com/ was recommended by Unite when i moved in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Limit to electric appliances? i guess your going into a flat or something, not uni halls?.. or do u mean laptop etc.. but there is no limit to that kinda stuff really, just as much space as you have .

Have a quick google of student moving services, perhaps specify the uni your thinking of , look at each one.

I know http://www.deliveriesfirst.com/ was recommended by Unite when i moved in.
    no, yeh I meant halls. Just out of curiosity how much earlier did you send your stuff to uni? days? weeks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R3L4Y)
    no, yeh I meant halls. Just out of curiosity how much earlier did you send your stuff to uni? days? weeks?
    You can't send your stuff to the uni before you get there yourself. You can move in before term starts, but only a few days before, if that. He means a student moving company that helps you move in on the day.

ReputationRep:
    *bump* I wanna know this stuff too!

ReputationRep:
    I would say that you should ring your university accomodation office and see what they say. Pardon the pun but they might be quite accommodating. If you tell them about your circumstances they might help you move in or let you move things earlier.

If this fails then you can look at student removals services. They could help you move your stuff to halls.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    There are loads of international people in my halls and most of them just came with one wheely suitcase (get a pretty big one) and a large rucksack. Then they went to the nearest ikea and bought all the kitchen stuff they couldn't bring over with them.

You just have to pack light tbh - I had a car full of stuff, half of which I've realised I don't need, whereas my roommate (whose Romanian) has half the closes etc that I do and she gets along fine. You don't really need that many clothes to get by - half of my stuff is just wasted and not worn.

ReputationRep:
    You'll just have to bring stuff in dribs and drabs. All you really need to start off with is some clothes, bedcovers, toiletries and your laptop: You shouldn't be spending too much time in your room anyway really. I barely went in mine other than to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Well I will suggest you to take help of a reputed storage or student removals company which will help you take your luggage and all stuff from one point to another point with security and safely and also provides student discount and free pick up services.
    I know one company named Space Self Storage based in Ireland which provides student removals and storage facility at its best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.