Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uni anticipation is slowly making me OCD... Watch

Basically, I've applied for a uni which I want to get into more than anything and my interview was about a month ago, I'm waiting on a reply.

The thing is, an odd feeling has come over me. Almost every single time I make a decision, I think 'decide this or you won't get an offer'. It was just little things at first, but it's becoming overwhelming. And I know it's irrational and it's so embarassing, but I can't help but think that if I don't get an offer, it will be because I haven't made the decision that my mind said.

Has anyone else been in a similar position to me? Any ideas about how I could stop this? It's so, so annoying. I've never behaved this weirdly! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    you don't have to decide till you get all your grades next year? :<

i mean, surely they are only giving you conditional offers, which are based upon the grades you acquire next year?

(Original post by rogreg8)
    you don't have to decide till you get all your grades next year? :<

i mean, surely they are only giving you conditional offers, which are based upon the grades you acquire next year?
    I've applied for medicine and I've already had a rejection. I'd be lucky to get one offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've applied for medicine and I've already had a rejection. I'd be lucky to get one offer.
    oh you should've said, i'm not quite sure how the medicine applications work, good luck with it though.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I've applied for a uni which I want to get into more than anything and my interview was about a month ago, I'm waiting on a reply.

The thing is, an odd feeling has come over me. Almost every single time I make a decision, I think 'decide this or you won't get an offer'. It was just little things at first, but it's becoming overwhelming. And I know it's irrational and it's so embarassing, but I can't help but think that if I don't get an offer, it will be because I haven't made the decision that my mind said.

Has anyone else been in a similar position to me? Any ideas about how I could stop this? It's so, so annoying. I've never behaved this weirdly! :confused:
    Yeah, that's OCD. Realise that the decisions you are making have nothing to do with getting in. Its out of your hands and you must accept this.

If you can't , go to your GP or a Counsellor. It may help to realise that Uni will never be as good as you expect, esp. when you hype it up like you are doing...

(Original post by stainluss)
    Yeah, that's OCD. Realise that the decisions you are making have nothing to do with getting in. Its out of your hands and you must accept this.

If you can't , go to your GP or a Counsellor. It may help to realise that Uni will never be as good as you expect, esp. when you hype it up like you are doing...
    Thanks for the reply It's not even the uni experience any more. It's the fear of being left behind when all my friends are in uni, I kinda wish I hadn't applied to medicine because it's just so competitive and I feel like I have no chance :cry: So basically I'm pulling at every hope I possibly have to help me to get in. Even when it resorts to all these odd little mind games.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply It's not even the uni experience any more. It's the fear of being left behind when all my friends are in uni, I kinda wish I hadn't applied to medicine because it's just so competitive and I feel like I have no chance :cry: So basically I'm pulling at every hope I possibly have to help me to get in. Even when it resorts to all these odd little mind games.
    Try not to worry about your friends leaving you. I finished my A2s last year, and am doing an art foundation near home and applying for 2011 entry. It's not that bad, I'm making new friends whilst my other friends are away at uni. Admittedly I get a bit jealous when I see their pics from uni, because they look like they're having an awesome time. But you can always see them in the holidays

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you have a case of "Pure O" OCD, ie a stream of negative thoughts that make you think catastrophes will occur in the future based on your actions.

Quick tip : when a disturbing thought enters your head, count to 10, think stop, and picture a pleasant image (cottage in a sunny field, the inside of a bank vault filled with gold ingots, whatever floats your boat). Truly effective.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.