Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asked to write an essay on a US Presidential 'Campaign'. What is that exactly? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Should I write mostly about the candidates views on key issues (e.g economy, immigration), or write mostly about the rallies and debates?

So far, I have written mostly about their views on issues relavant at that time, and intend to write something on the rallies and debates, but probably less.

Would this be ok, considering it asked for me to write about the presidential campaign?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stainluss)
    Should I write mostly about the candidates views on key issues (e.g economy, immigration), or write mostly about the rallies and debates?

So far, I have written mostly about their views on issues relavant at that time, and intend to write something on the rallies and debates, but probably less.

Would this be ok, considering it asked for me to write about the presidential campaign?
    What is the title of the essay? Do you have to write about one specific campaign?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw68)
    What is the title of the essay? Do you have to write about one specific campaign?
    No, we can choose. It says discuss the campaign. Would I discuss the candidates policies or their rallies and advertising?
    (Im going to discuss both, but which one moreso?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stainluss)
    No, we can choose. It says discuss the campaign. Would I discuss the candidates policies or their rallies and advertising?
    (Im going to discuss both, but which one moreso?)
    Well I would start by looking at what the function of the campaign actually is.
    Basically it is the candidates' opportunity to convince the electorate that they should vote for them in the upcoming election.

Then you need to look at how they go about doing this.

I would focus on:
    Conventions - opportunity for the candidate to introduce him/herself and his/her policies to the electorate.

Media - how do the candidates use advertising to drum up support. Also you could look at how Obama was able to tap into 'New Media' in the last campaign with his use of websites such as Facebook and Twitter to entice younger voters.

Money - this is linked to media, how much money you have dictates what you can and can't do. E.g. look at Obama's $5million infomercial.

Rallies and grass roots movements - how effectively the candidate and his staff/volunteers communicate with the voters in person.

Debates - can alter people's opinions on the candidates, also the importance of sound-bites which stick in people's minds e.g. McCain's 'Joe the plumber'.

There is plenty to talk about and the most recent election would be a good case study. I wouldn't get too bogged down in the issues, I would focus more on the things above.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.