Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Recently I have been thinking of going into investment banking rather than my original plan of accountancy. I don't really know if I'm studying the right subjects or have good enough grades for it.

My GCSE's were 2 A*, 4 A, 4 B including A* in maths.
    I don't however have a modern language (not sure whether this is important - let me know if it is and how I could go about learning one now).

Im currently studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry - are these good subjects for investment banking (My school doesn't offer economics - is this necessary?)

Also would a degree in pure mathematics or maths with physics be ok? Don't know whether I can do maths with economics without an economics a level.

I know these am i good enough threads are annoying but I really don't know thanks.

ReputationRep:
    The GCSE grades are fairly average given the field you're pursuing and the competition you'll face from a vast amount of Oxbridge graduates with a string of A*s. You're studying the same A-level subjects as me and they happen to be a fantastic combination if a bit quantitative. Investment bankers come from a variety of background, from arts and humanities majors to physics PhDs; so I don't think your options are disadvantageous for IB.

To answer your question, Economics at A-level is not at all necessary, and many universities e.g. LSE prefer you to have Maths and Further Maths rather than Economics as they better prepare you for university Economics. I'd argue a Maths degree is the ideal route to IB. In short, you have a good chance but a solid set of A-levels would put you in good stead regardless of where you go to university.

ReputationRep:
    Quite simple, do well in your A-Levels, go to a target university, do extra curricular activities that show skills relevant to IB, apply your ass off to internships, hassle any contacts you may have for work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike171193)
    Recently I have been thinking of going into investment banking rather than my original plan of accountancy. I don't really know if I'm studying the right subjects or have good enough grades for it.

I don't however have a modern language (not sure whether this is important - let me know if it is and how I could go about learning one now).

Im currently studying maths, further maths, physics and chemistry - are these good subjects for investment banking (My school doesn't offer economics - is this necessary?)

Also would a degree in pure mathematics or maths with physics be ok? Don't know whether I can do maths with economics without an economics a level.

I know these am i good enough threads are annoying but I really don't know thanks.
    too early for your to be worrying about IB, get good a-levels get to good uni, do your extra activities, get internships, know different areas of ibd and avoid getting yourself killed in the office.

ReputationRep:

Its not about whether or not IB is a good path for you to follow, but whether or not you are the path to IB. If this is a question you need to ask yourself, let alone our advice, then your in the wrong industry. Wrong mindset altogether. You shouldnt be in a position to choose one path or the other. You should KNOW that you are IB. True story man.

Note: forget what these children on here tell you okay? Good IBers esp traders, are born, not made. IB should be in your blood hoe

ReputationRep:
    You are on track...but you haven't provided enough information for me to fully answer your question. The best thing to do would be to try an internship. If you get anything less than complete enjoyment out of it, then you should probably try another stream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    You are on track...but you haven't provided enough information for me to fully answer your question. The best thing to do would be to try an internship. If you get anything less than complete enjoyment out of it, then you should probably try another stream.
    didnt realize you got pure and complete enjoyment out of yours in M&A :P

ReputationRep:

Maths is fine, and in many cases preferred.
    Just attend Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial and apply for spring weeks/internships.
    As long as you're likeable/intelligent and want it enough you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Maths is fine, and in many cases preferred.
    Just attend Oxbridge/LSE/Imperial and apply for spring weeks/internships.
    As long as you're likeable/intelligent and want it enough you'll be fine.
    This is so true. I think it quite often is overstated just how difficult getting into IB have to be.

ReputationRep:
    You want IB or sales and trading? IB doesn't require anything very numerical. you can get in there with a law history or languages degree. first know the difference between sales and trading and IB

ReputationRep:
    Do well in your A levels, go to a target university, get relevant work experience and don't be a prick. People underestimate how important that last factor can be.

Don't get too hung up on your GCSEs. It's over, and if you get good A levels/go to a target uni, no one's going to care too much unless you've failed half your subjects, which you haven't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    didnt realize you got pure and complete enjoyment out of yours in M&A :P
    best. thing. ever.

shame that i'm a masochist...

...probably that's why I'm not in M&A

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.