Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should police use watercanons at violent protests? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Your views?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    To be perfectly honest tear gas is really the best option. However these methods should only be used in the event of very violent protests.

ReputationRep:
    go away. Police often inflame the protesters towards greater use of aggression.

ReputationRep:
    I think that they represent something that we don't want to see on our streets.

ReputationRep:
    I would love a man in uniform to get me nice and wet. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Your views?
    Make a poll.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Have you seen students these days? Throw some Head And Shoulders and some Radox at them too.

It might just be more beneficial to set them on fire.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't trust the police here to use them appropriatly, I think they would overuse them and people would get seriously injured over minor incidents at protests that didn't justify the use of the canon but the police had used it anyway because its so much easier than doing what they have to do now.

ReputationRep:
    I read the title as 'Should police use watermelons at violent protests?' By George, I need to get some sleep

EDIT: Oh, wow. Someone posted a thread with that title, albeit after this post. I need to get some sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. There's also this in-development anti-riot vehicle in the US that uses microwaves that I find quite interesting..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    I read the title as 'Should police use watermelons at violent protests?' By George, I need to get some sleep.
    No thats actually another thread

ReputationRep:
    No, they represent too much of a risk to innocent bystanders and can break bones. In addition, they are apparently slow and cumbersome and probably couldn't keep up with the violent protesters which it looked like regular police had trouble with on thursday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cold_sky)
    Yes. There's also this in-development anti-riot vehicle in the US that uses microwaves that I find quite interesting..
    The Active Denial System? That sounds pretty horrific to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meowmeowmutiny)
    Is that the 'heat ray' one? Apparently it makes you think your skin is on fire :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I say do whatever you have to because these protesters certainly will.

ReputationRep:
    No. Not until the police have sorted themselves out (just look at all the misconduct they did through the tuition riots. Giving them more firepower isn't going to help.)

ReputationRep:
    I think it's absolutely disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    In theory yes, in practice , putting that power in the hands of some of the policemen in this country would probably end badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meowmeowmutiny)
    Is that what its called? I couldnt remember. The only way it'll harm you is if you're stupid enough to hang around close to it when it starts. Still, an imaginative idea for crowd control.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look: http://www.thelocal.de/national/20101006-30295.html

In a crowd of thousands of students, you could get one of two of these. As for me, I think water cannons are far too heavy handed, especially for something like student protests.

Water cannons can injure people, especially those caught close to one, and there'd be immediate controversy should they get used from both people who support and do not support the protests. It's crossing a line, surely.

Whilst this might be no valid comparison due to the different size of the water stream, have you seen the damage those pressure cleaners (for the street, cleaning driveways, etc) can do? The long-nosed water guns that spray a line of high pressure water. Cleaners on a high enough pressure can pulverise flesh or cut right through skin in seconds.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.