Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

do you think youre cooler than other people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was listening to mike posner - cooler than me and noticed how much some bits of the song apply to me. Im not a girl but usually i would walk down the street like im cooler than everyone else and not giving girls the time of day or even a second look. Clearly this approach is not working as ive been single for a long time. Its not that i think im better than anyone its just that im extremely anxious around girls and pretend to be confident to the point where i act like i dont notice them. Is anyone out there the same?

ReputationRep:
    I am similar to that but I do think I could be better than anyone else at anything. I don't believe I am better than anyone, but I always think "if he can do it, so can I" etc.

You shouldn't be so anxious around girls. They just want to talk and they will judge you and may think you are being rude if you act like you don't notice them.

ReputationRep:
    'Cooler' isn't synonymous with 'better', so yeah I'm cooler than some people, but some are cooler than me so it's swings and roundabouts.

I don't think I'm cool at all, and my sister likes to remind me that I'm not, because she jelly

So yeah, I think I'm cooler than her. Also people who try too hard. Problem?

ReputationRep:
      I am the coolest. It hast been decreed that thou shalt never amount to the coolness of me.

ReputationRep:
      Yep, I'm unique and superior from many other people. :proud:

But I'm not cool. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
      When I visit the Artic, yep. :yep:

ReputationRep:
      Some people i am, some people i am not. Depends on what specific people think is cool.

Is being strong cool? If so, i have the edge over say, someone who doesn't gym it but a regular down at fitness first is cooler than me.

Is being smart cool? If so, i have the edge over someone whose GCSEs spelt out the name of the US record label before the name 'jam' but a degree holder with a first is cooler than me.

Subjectivity plays a part in establishing what is cool.

ReputationRep:
      I am cooler than most people tho.

ReputationRep:
      What really makes a person 'cool' though?

Their dress sense/way they carry themselves etc?

ReputationRep:
      Not particularly, I tend to be anxious when meeting new people and therefore can come across as being stand-offish even though I'm actually very friendly It just takes a long time for me to have the confidence to come out of my shell, so to speak.

I've never been one to want to be part of the 'cool crowd'. It depends how you define the word 'cool', really. I'm interested in (and very good at, though I say so myself) a wide range of things - art, music, sports, history, psychology, literature - which counts in my favour, but then I'm quite shy and not very good at getting to know people properly, which is an important thing to be able to do! I've never been very good at small talk, unless the person I'm talking to is very outgoing and friendly, or I'm drunk, which is a bit sad really. So it's up to other people to say if I'm 'cool' or not, I really don't know.

ReputationRep:
      It's hard not to when I'm walking around in my white suit and stetson with a bit of Elton John on the iPod.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by djpailo)
      I am similar to that but I do think I could be better than anyone else at anything. I don't believe I am better than anyone, but I always think "if he can do it, so can I" etc.

You shouldn't be so anxious around girls. They just want to talk and they will judge you and may think you are being rude if you act like you don't notice them.
      Pretending not to notice women only works if you are attractive. I've ran some tests :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      I'd say im cooler than most people, yeah

ReputationRep:
      Well, I'm the KOOL-EST!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by word2yamother)
      I was listening to mike posner - cooler than me and noticed how much some bits of the song apply to me. Im not a girl but usually i would walk down the street like im cooler than everyone else and not giving girls the time of day or even a second look. Clearly this approach is not working as ive been single for a long time. Its not that i think im better than anyone its just that im extremely anxious around girls and pretend to be confident to the point where i act like i dont notice them. Is anyone out there the same?

OMFG are you me?

Apart from the anxious around girls part this is exactly me lol. Actually tbh I am quite anxious at times I guess.

The annoying thing is I know this playing hardd to get/pretending I don't notice girls is not having the same effect as it did in school lol. It's time to start making moves but I just have tooooo much pride!!

ReputationRep:
      No, just universally more awesome.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JmJtr)
      OMFG are you me?

Apart from the anxious around girls part this is exactly me lol. Actually tbh I am quite anxious at times I guess.

The annoying thing is I know this playing hardd to get/pretending I don't notice girls is not having the same effect as it did in school lol. It's time to start making moves but I just have tooooo much pride!!
      Are you scared of being rejected because thats usually my reason

ReputationRep:
      cool is a label other people give you so no i don't
      but i am better

ReputationRep:
      obv mate I'm TC.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.