Turn on thread page Beta

Alternative rock - wtf? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am afraid I do not understand the genre so called alternative rock. The word alternative implies something different to the norm, yet all the bands called alternative rock are some of the most successful and well known bands in the buisness today, such as Muse, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Placebo etc. What are these bands the alternative too? It makes no sense to me.

Another thing that annoys me is the term indie, which supposedly means independent, on small labels, yet well known bands on massive record labels, like Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplay and Snow Patrol get ths label.

WTF is the reasoning behind each of these. How are those "alternative" rock bands, not just simply rock bands? Is it something to do with trying to be different from the rock music of the past? I don't understand!

ReputationRep:
    Don't call them that. Call them something else. It's all for marketing anyway.

If you want to, look for something more alternative, or more independent.

If you don't, don't.

I assume that some indie bands started out indie? It's more about the sound I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    I am afraid I do not understand the genre so called alternative rock. The word alternative implies something different to the norm, yet all the bands called alternative rock are some of the most successful and well known bands in the buisness today, such as Muse, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, Placebo etc. What are these bands the alternative too? It makes no sense to me.

Another thing that annoys me is the term indie, which supposedly means independent, on small labels, yet well known bands on massive record labels, like Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplay and Snow Patrol get ths label.

WTF is the reasoning behind each of these. How are those "alternative" rock bands, not just simply rock bands? Is it something to do with trying to be different from the rock music of the past? I don't understand!
    They're alternative to Rihanna and Katy Perry, and alternative to Slayer. Fill up a nice little happy niche in the industry. What's not to get?!

Hate misuse of the word indie though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    Don't call them that. Call them something else. It's all for marketing anyway.

If you want to, look for something more alternative, or more independent.

If you don't, don't.

I assume that some indie bands started out indie? It's more about the sound I guess.
    believe me I don't give a flying **** whether my music is alternative, or mainstream, or underground or whatever, I just listen to what I like, I just didn't understand the term. So what, I am supposed to call them something else because I don't get the name?

ReputationRep:
    believe me I don't give a flying **** whether my music is alternative, or mainstream, or underground or whatever, I just listen to what I like, I just didn't understand the term. So what, I am supposed to call them something else because I don't get the name?
    Yeah, go for it. It doesn't really matter what the label is. I agree it's a silly name. If it annoys you just call everything rock, or think of your own better name and try and get everyone else to follow suit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    They're alternative to Rihanna and Katy Perry, and alternative to Slayer. Fill up a nice little happy niche in the industry. What's not to get?!

Hate misuse of the word indie though.
    I understand that, but the suffix rock implies that they are an alternative type of rock, different to other stuff, when they are plainly not, Muse's latest album is a complete rehash of their influences and next to nothing of their own. They rip off Queen on at least 3 songs, but are apparently alternative to other rock?

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand use of the genre either. Anyone who is considered this genre by anyone is lumped into the Rock genre on my iTunes.

ReputationRep:
    The Butterfly Effect, Cog, Dead Letter Circus, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I don't bother using genres to label what I like, it just marketing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Muse are crap regardless of what they're labelled
    Take a bow!

ReputationRep:
    There's a technical difference between 'indie' and 'Indie'. Pretentious crap I know but one of them refers to the ****e that is Kaiser Chiefs and Arctic monkeys etc. and the other refers to the proper term of independent music artist, i.e. no record lable. I can't remember which way round it is though ha. But most people just combine the two. Bands like Arctic monkeys are anythin but independent. Mainstream rubbish really.

ReputationRep:
    Muse, Radiohead, FF etc... aren't typical rock, hence the name, alternative rock. I'd call Airbourne, ACDC, The Answer etc... straight out rock music.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of genre titles now have seemingly contradictory names. What ya gonna do?

ReputationRep:
    I understand that, but the suffix rock implies that they are an alternative type of rock, different to other stuff, when they are plainly not, Muse's latest album is a complete rehash of their influences and next to nothing of their own. They rip off Queen on at least 3 songs, but are apparently alternative to other rock?
    Just as the alternative comedy of the 80s implied that people like Alexei Sayle and Jo Brand were going to always be different to the Ronnie Barkers and Graham Chapmans who preceded them, when in fact, they are still comedians and still rehash old set-ups in their own style.

Muse will always rehash the sound of another band, just like another band will rehash the sound of Muse. You could argue that Black Metal is just a take on Slayer; and that Slayer is just a take on Motorhead; which is just a reaction to The Beatles; who were just a follow-on from Buddy Holly; who was just a reaction to the Swing movement; which was just a follow-on from Jazz; which was just a mish-mash of foreign influences into traditional styles.... .... and eventually you end up back at Mozart and Beethoven and Handel, and can probably go even further back.

So, you might as well ask why Black Metal isn't called "Extreme Sonatas"...

In terms of Rock...most genres are nonsense. Rock n Roll began in the 50s, and suddenly 50 years on you have Rock, Rock n Roll, Blues Rock, Alternative Rock, Punk Rock, Post-Punk, Gothic Rock, Grunge, Hardcore Punk, Emotional Hardcore, Glam Rock, Garage Rock, Pop-Rock, Christian Rock, Folk Rock, indie Rock, Post-Rock not to mention the millions of genres in Heavy Metal (Black, Death, Doom, Sludge, Viking (and its sub-genre Troll), Thrash, Speed, Alternative, -core, White, Gothic, Folk...) And that's just off the top of my head. :rolleyes: It's ridiculous!

If you don't agree with a band's classification within a genre, then don't label it that way. I wouldn't call The Decemberists 'indie' because they're folk-rock; I'm willing to call The Dresden Dolls 'gothic' when others might prefer 'dark (or even Brechtian) cabaret', but by contrast I'd never call The Tiger Lillies 'gothic' because they are 'dark cabaret'. :cool:

Yes. I am literally so pretentious I just wrote a tl;dr argument which is literally a list of genres. Merry Christmas

ReputationRep:
    The 'indie' genre was spawned as the sound of a collective of bands who were on various independent labels. As they became more successful and, along with the bands they influenced, started signing to major labels - the designation 'indie' stuck with the style of music. It's that simple.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, what is the big deal with baroque, romantic, serialist, impressionist,...,[any form of art music],... being called classical music?

ReputationRep:
    To me alternative just seems like the most ambiguous term ever created. Most of my iTunes library is 'alternative' but I couldn't tell you what it is.

ReputationRep:
    They're alternative because they aren't mainstream rock, and are different from most of the charts which is usually littered with the same old rnb, pop or rap.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.