The Student Room Group

Creaking on right full lock?

Whenever i right full lock there's always a quite loud creaking...It's only when i move though.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Reply 1
Probably just the tyre rubbing on the inner arch. It's very hard to diagnose without actually hearing it though. Many cars with power steering whine on full lock, but usually this happens whether you're moving or not.
I was told that it can be bad for the power steering to be on completely full lock.

Try turning back a bit.
Reply 3
Original post by AnythingButChardonnay
I was told that it can be bad for the power steering to be on completely full lock.

Try turning back a bit.

It's not bad for short periods of time, otherwise it would be impossible to park properly and manufacturers would make the lock stops a little bit wider. Holding it on lock for more than 10 or 15 seconds is quite bad for it, and for longer than 30 seconds can blow up the PS pump but for short periods it's fine.
its the wishbone or shock absorber. get it checked
Reply 5
Original post by Peace0fM1nd
its the wishbone or shock absorber. get it checked

Or just have a look yourself? :rolleyes:
Shock absorbers, i am fairly sure you need a new one.
Reply 7
I find it ridiculous that people are diagnosing it as a problem with the shock or the wishbone for definite without having seen the car or listened to the noise.

Shock absorber failure usually results in a knocking noise over bumps, and it would have to have one of the mounts physically broken for it to rub on the tyre. The fact that the noise only happens when the car is moving tells us its something to do with a rotating component, either the driveshaft or the tyre rubbing on something. There would have to be something really wrong with the steering setup for the tyre to rub on the wishbone, but the plastic of the inner arch can easily be dislodged and come close enough to the tyre for it to rub on it at full lock, hence my earlier diagnosis, but as I said, it's almost impossible to say without the OP having a look inside the wheel arch to see if anything's wrong.
Reply 8
Original post by Nuffles
I find it ridiculous that people are diagnosing it as a problem with the shock or the wishbone for definite without having seen the car or listened to the noise.

Shock absorber failure usually results in a knocking noise over bumps, and it would have to have one of the mounts physically broken for it to rub on the tyre. The fact that the noise only happens when the car is moving tells us its something to do with a rotating component, either the driveshaft or the tyre rubbing on something. There would have to be something really wrong with the steering setup for the tyre to rub on the wishbone, but the plastic of the inner arch can easily be dislodged and come close enough to the tyre for it to rub on it at full lock, hence my earlier diagnosis, but as I said, it's almost impossible to say without the OP having a look inside the wheel arch to see if anything's wrong.

...or suspension bushes.

But yeh, I agree with you on the wishbone/shock thing, they don't creak!
Reply 9
Original post by AnythingButChardonnay

Try turning back a bit.

It's not power steering though!

Also doesnt happen on left full lock.
Reply 10
Original post by Nuffles

Hmm...would that only happen on one of the locks? Aka right lock but not left lock?

It's quite a loud creaking, and i can feel it through the steering wheel if that helps?

Something like this was happening to my boyfriend's car two weeks ago. Needed 'a new drive shaft' apparently, and no, that's actually not an innuendo.
Reply 12
Original post by AshleyT
Hmm...would that only happen on one of the locks? Aka right lock but not left lock?

It's quite a loud creaking, and i can feel it through the steering wheel if that helps?

Like I said, turn the wheel to full lock when you can hear the creaking, get out and see if you can feel the tyre touching anything inside the wheelarch. Before you've done that we can't really diagnose any further.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending