Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Interview with the disabled protester who was pulled form his wheelchair Watch

ReputationRep:

The footage is absolutely disgusting, all of the involved officers should be fired and possibly face criminal charges, its absolutely inexcusable.

I understand that the police where under a lot of pressure and on the receiving end of violence themselves but that is no excuse.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Its gone to the IPCC which is good. Hope he takes the cop to court. Should sue the *******.

However his views on both the police as a whole and the tuition fees I find very wrong and mistaken.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    Is the interviewer a ****ing idiot?

Firstly he asks whether Jody was 'rolling towards the police', as if to say that Jody having done so would justify the police pulling him out of his wheelchair and dragging him across the street.

Then, when Jody describes the student who suffered internal bleeding in his BRAIN as a result of a Police truncheon and needed emergency brain surgery to keep him from dying, he interrupts and suggests that the students were DESERVING of some treatment owing to the missiles, etc, they were throwing at the police.

I thought this moron was supposed to be impartial? And yet here he is trying to justify the police dragging a helpless disabled man out of his chair and attempting murder (yes, I'm counting it as attempted murder) on protestors.

I'm disgusted.

:facepalm2: Hardly attempted murder. Violent assault yes murder no.

ReputationRep:
    If you strike someone one the head with a truncheon with enough force to induce internal bleeding to the brain, to the extent that emergency brain surgery is required to save your life - then that is attempted murder.

If I did such a thing to you, I would be tried for attempted murder. If you did such a thing to me, you'd be tried for attempted murder.

Unless, of course, the rules change when you put on a Police uniform. I have nothing against the police, generally, but the person responsible for this, the people responsible for Jody's treatment, and the general attitude of the police at protests is sub-human.
    Doesn't their have to be intent for attempted murder? The actions of that officer are disgusting but I doubt their was an intent to murder.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    If you strike someone one the head with a truncheon with enough force to induce internal bleeding to the brain, to the extent that emergency brain surgery is required to save your life - then that is attempted murder.

If I did such a thing to you, I would be tried for attempted murder. If you did such a thing to me, you'd be tried for attempted murder.

Unless, of course, the rules change when you put on a Police uniform. I have nothing against the police, generally, but the person responsible for this, the people responsible for Jody's treatment, and the general attitude of the police at protests is sub-human.
    I assumed you were talking about the wheelchair incident.

In that case again it won't be attempted murder because murder was not the intent of the officer. If it was then the idiot throwing the fire extinguisher should have been arrested for attempted murder.

Because we do not know all the details its pointless to speculate it may not even go to court if it emerges that the guy attacked the officer.

ReputationRep:
    This'll just turn into another thread of "omg police injustice!!!oneoneone. we were all peaceful protesters".

ReputationRep:
    It's called equal treatment, finally the disabled have achieved it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Police are required to use REASONABLE force against attacks.

An unarmed student could not have attacked an armed, fully protected riot police officer with such ferocity that near-death brain injuries would be classfied as 'reasonable force'.
    Some protesters had metal poles and were trying to hit police with them and throwing lumps of concrete. In a situation like that if the officer feels threatened it would likely been seen as reasonable.

The fact is we do not know what happened so we are just going to have to wait to see what the boy/officer/ipcc all say until we can speculate.

ReputationRep:
    Its also interesting that if you look closely at the footage you see another police officer step in and literally drag the offending officer away by his jacket, using some force.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1490177

similar thread I made, and yes this was before (didn't spot it!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I assumed you were talking about the wheelchair incident.

In that case again it won't be attempted murder because murder was not the intent of the officer. If it was then the idiot throwing the fire extinguisher should have been arrested for attempted murder.

Because we do not know all the details its pointless to speculate it may not even go to court if it emerges that the guy attacked the officer.
    He is being charged with attempted murder of a police officer.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? People are defending the police? Sheltered little fools, go to a protest and see what happens for yourselves.

As for the BBC interviewer, well, what can you expect from propaganda peddlers?

ReputationRep:
    No, reasonable force is enough force to stop the attack, and no more. I think it's fair to say that the police officer in question could have stopped such an attack without going as far as cause a brain injury.
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that it was reasonable force, it was blatantly excessive force. But it's also unfair to call it attempted murder, I mean, if he'd really wanted to kill him then he could have hit him again. If the student had died, then the police officer would have been way more likely to be charged with manslaughter than murder.

ReputationRep:
    Police are required to use REASONABLE force against attacks.

An unarmed student could not have attacked an armed, fully protected riot police officer with such ferocity that near-death brain injuries would be classfied as 'reasonable force'.
    I'm sure the police guy didn't mean to cause such injuries; what on earth would be the point?

It's clear that "reasonable force" is, and should be, more based on intention than on outcome.

If you're in a fight and punch the other guy and he falls and cracks his head on the concrete and dies, it's all very sad and unfortunate, but I'm afraid that accidents happen and you should certainly not be tried as some sort of murderer.

ReputationRep:
    im gunna go ahead and say, he must have been doing something
    his answer to "reports saying you were rolling towards them" was very avoidant, he has clearly spoken to a lawyer about not incriminating himself
    the fact he didnt launch a formal complaint untill now also implies it was not a simple matter of police see him police shove him off his wheel chair
    another issue being, he could have been refusing to move for vehicles or something and the cop was moving him to get him out of the way, admittedly in a very wrong fashion

ReputationRep:

it isnt attempted murder in any sense at all, it could be grevious bodily harm at most
    attempted murder means you planned to kill them, and a policeman in the heat of the moment against violent protesters and with a weapon such as a truncheon isnt going to be thinking about murder, else he would have stamped on his head or something when he was down
    then you have the situation, an officer acting in self defence, even if he had killed the guy he would probably get off scott free,
    and yes it would be classed as self defence, untill youve had hundreds of violent protesters, throwing petrol bombs, sticks and rocks at you, you can't see it from the polices view

ReputationRep:
    I'm disgusted.
    This. In fact, to everything PerigeeApogee has said; ditto.
    Some people however on these forums are revolting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    It's called equal treatment, finally the disabled have achieved it.
    Bah, don't believe that for a second. When everyone panics and there are cowards about, it's the easier targets that are turned on first.

ReputationRep:
    murderer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f00ddude)
    it isnt attempted murder in any sense at all, it could be grevious bodily harm at most
    attempted murder means you planned to kill them, and a policeman in the heat of the moment against violent protesters and with a weapon such as a truncheon isnt going to be thinking about murder, else he would have stamped on his head or something when he was down
    then you have the situation, an officer acting in self defence, even if he had killed the guy he would probably get off scott free,
    and yes it would be classed as self defence, untill youve had hundreds of violent protesters, throwing petrol bombs, sticks and rocks at you, you can't see it from the polices view
    Murder includes an intention to kill or cause grievous bodily harm where there is a high probability of death resulting, whereas attempted murder depends on an intention to kill, and an overt act towards the homicide. Attempted murder is only the planning of a murder and acts taken towards it, not the actual killing, which is the murder.

So... attempted murder then.

But it's hard to prove, he'll most likely get off on a lesser charge.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.