Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long into the relationship should I propose? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's been just over a year so far.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how old you are. Two years into the relationship is about minimum in my opinion, but I'd want to be at least 21 when I did it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    Depends how old you are. Two years into the relationship is about minimum in my opinion, but I'd want to be at least 21 when I did it.
    19, just turned, she's 19 in two months.

Generally a really good relationship, but it's an LDR.

I'm thinking when we move/live closer together. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait til the 2 year mark. Dunno why. Although I guess if you know, you know

ReputationRep:
    There isn't some arbitrary length of time after which you should propose; it depends on the relationship.
    Once you genuinely know the person and see yourself spending the rest of your lives together. Whenever that is.

ReputationRep:
    Ermm... well at the moment, a lot of my friends are getting engaged (well 2 of them, and I'm 21), and my knee jerk reaction was the "I wanna be engaged" thought. Then I thought of being my boyfriends WIFE and that freaked me out a bit.

To be engaged, just make sure you have the maturity to be married to someone. It's a lot harder to get out of a relationship when you're married... and you have to be there for your wife and support her. I would say wait until you've lived together for a while.

ReputationRep:
    im 23 goin out with my girlfriend for 3 years!!the only thing is it has now become a LDR due to her having to leave ireland and get work in london!!
    however i hope to teach in th UK in sept so fingered crossed...marriage will be a long time yet!!maybe 3 more yrs...your only young once

ReputationRep:
    two weeks before she gives birth.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

Should I propose on my birthday, her birthday, our anniversary, or a random day?

ReputationRep:
    How long before SingleMuslimDotCom is banned for being a spammer?

You guys must be desperate over there to have to resort to spamming student forums.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say propose either on a random day or an anniversary. If you do it on a birthday and she says no... every birthday after you/she will be reminded. Bad times.

ReputationRep:
    You can propose anytime when you feel the right time.
    Just choose wisely for gf/bf first.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.