Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone keep a diary? I'm considering it... Watch

For the first time in my life I genuinely want to keep a diary, or, a sort of incoherent account of my thoughts, rather than a structured diary.
    Does anyone else do this?

At the moment, my head is quite a 'mess', and I thought keeping a diary might help me get on track and clear my mind and help me organise my thoughts a bit.
    So does anyone keep one? Or even better, has anyone kept one because of the same reasons I want to?

ReputationRep:
    :nah: but that is a good idea. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    For the first time in my life I genuinely want to keep a diary, or, a sort of incoherent account of my thoughts, rather than a structured diary.

At the moment, my head is quite a 'mess', and I thought keeping a diary might help me get on track and clear my mind and help me organise my thoughts a bit.
    So does anyone keep one? Or even better, has anyone kept one because of the same reasons I want to?
    why don't you start a blog? its basically a virtual Diary.

ReputationRep:
    I used to. It was okay I guess. Just a habit I got into, and then got out of.
    I suppose it helped somewhat to write stuff down; it allows you to view your thoughts sort of from the outside and thus better understand them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah blogs are the way forward, it feels like writing a diary. Also, you can't lose a blog (I'm terrible at losing things). You don't even have to publicise the blog (I don't), but use it as a personal diary

Hmm, I spend far too much time on the computer, I think I'd rather handwrite it, it'd feel more personal that way too.

ReputationRep:
    Diaries are an excellent way of putting your feelings into some concrete form and it can help you to understand things. From experience, the advantage of using paper over computers is that your handwriting in itself can give an insight into your emotions which cannot be gained from a uniform font. If you enjoy drawing, for example, you could also incorporate that into a paper diary.

For a few years I kept a regular diary, first on paper and then on a word processing program. It became more and more sporadic but I still use formal diary entries on my computer very occasionally when I have a lot to write about and if I am in a particularly distressed state, I will often physically write out my feelings and even my inner monologue as I did during one particularly bad episode of despair and depression. Reading that back was a traumatic experience but it also helped me to view my emotions in a more rational way. I have since revisited that particularly diary entry, which descends into manic scribbling, a few times and it has become something which I measure things against - something to say "it is not as bad as that felt".

I hope you try diary writing and find it gives you the comfort and relief it has provided me.

ReputationRep:
    I've tried to several times but never stick at it.

(Original post by vhvhvh)
    Diaries are an excellent way of putting your feelings into some concrete form and it can help you to understand things. From experience, the advantage of using paper over computers is that your handwriting in itself can give an insight into your emotions which cannot be gained from a uniform font. If you enjoy drawing, for example, you could also incorporate that into a paper diary.

For a few years I kept a regular diary, first on paper and then on a word processing program. It became more and more sporadic but I still use formal diary entries on my computer very occasionally when I have a lot to write about and if I am in a particularly distressed state, I will often physically write out my feelings and even my inner monologue as I did during one particularly bad episode of despair and depression. Reading that back was a traumatic experience but it also helped me to view my emotions in a more rational way. I have since revisited that particularly diary entry, which descends into manic scribbling, a few times and it has become something which I measure things against - something to say "it is not as bad as that felt".

I hope you try diary writing and find it gives you the comfort and relief it has provided me.
    That sounds great I hope for the same results! However, what do you mean when you say inner monologue? I know what a monologue is of course, but only within fiction...how do you mean it in terms of diary entry? What's different between that and normal diary entry?

ReputationRep:
    i have been journaling since 5th grade and currently in college. its so much fun looking back at all the crazy things that you thought were problems. it is a great way to remember and cherish life i highly recommend it, i have over 20 notebooks some different for specific types of journaling some for just general day to day logs

ReputationRep:
    I have really terrible memory, especially because I drink alot and with alcohol a week can become meddled together into 1. I looked back on my 1st year of uni and found myself thinking, damn I wish I could remember more of what I actually did, where I went and who I went with.

So, from the start of 2nd year I have kept a journal of these things, occasionally adding in things I imagine I would find funny looking back on.

I don't do any of the dear diary stuff, and I dont write about "feelings" in any way (because that's gay). I hate the thought of my real and/or embarassing thoughts being down on paper no matter how safe they are.

ReputationRep:

I kept a diary from late 2005 to 2008 and sporadically since on the principle that the unexamined life is not worth living. I find it difficult to know that my life is transitory, my motivations animalistic and my memories illusory.

As with any change in routine you will find it benefits you, particularly when reading it back, and can be a powerful tool when combined with the organic diary inside your memory space. However eventually it will tend to go bad: it'll either feel a chore/you won't have time or it will become about crafting an "acceptable" entry for the diary like you would present your thoughts to a friend or acquaintance.

Definitely worth it if you have a messy head right now; I'm trying to restart mine for the same reason.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I keep a diary just to clear my head/have a rant. Also, they're nice to look back on (if the entries aren't too angsty )

ReputationRep:
    If anyone finds the diary you're ****ed.

And anyway, you can write notes or what ever on phones, page to page diaries are a thing of the past.

ReputationRep:
    I started a diary when I was about 10 and even though I've never written in it on a day-to-day basis, it's great for letting my feelings out when I have something to say. I'm a bit paranoid about its whereabouts at the moment though as I haven't brought it with me to China- hopefully my mum's not rifling through the pages as I speak! But yes, I've always found it very theraputic and I love looking back and seeing all the funny things I've written in the past.

ReputationRep:

Yes, I have been keeping one for three years this December. I find the key to get it to work for me is to not force myself to update everyday, that's draining and sometimes I'm too tired. I just update as and when I have something to say, which turns out to be roughly every two to three days anyway. This way I can update as many times in a day if I feel the need.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yep have done for a few years now. Looking back on entries from the past brings back all these vivid memories and emotions I would have completely lost otherwise -it's great.

I prefer writing it by hand and it includes thoughts, plans, lists, pictures etc. as well as just the things I've been doing. I use it like a scrapbook with photos, notes, ticket stubs etc stuck in it too.

Its really important that you're not afraid someone is going to read it (I keep mine in a locked drawer) or else you won't write it honestly which defeats the whole point.

ReputationRep:
    I've done it in the past and it really helps. I'm quite bad at sticking to things though so it didn't last for that long!

ReputationRep:
    noooooo, I would be too scared of anyone finding it

ReputationRep:
    That sounds great I hope for the same results! However, what do you mean when you say inner monologue? I know what a monologue is of course, but only within fiction...how do you mean it in terms of diary entry? What's different between that and normal diary entry?
    I used that just to refer to writing my thoughts as they came into my head. There is nothing to say you could not do that or anything else within a 'standard' diary entry anyway. The great thing about diaries is that there are no rules and you can do anything you want with them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.