Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can my bro supervise me as a learner driver? Watch

I'm desperate to learn how to drive next year and my older brother is the only person who'd be able to supervise me while I practice. However I'm unclear as to whether he'd be allowed to do this. He's 21 and has been driving for four years, but I read somewhere that someone has to have been driving for five years before they can supervise a learner driver. Is this true or can I start learning ASAP? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    yep, i think it's over 21 with 3 years experience.
    check up on that though, would like you to get in trouble with the lawww.

ReputationRep:
    It's 21 and 3 years - so yes, he can. Put up some 'L' plates and have a go!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was 3 years too...

ReputationRep:
    Remember you need to be insured on his car as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lack of Creativity)
    Remember you need to be insured on his car as well.
    OP needs to be insured on the car that he/she is driving. That's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    I'm desperate to learn how to drive next year and my older brother is the only person who'd be able to supervise me while I practice. However I'm unclear as to whether he'd be allowed to do this. He's 21 and has been driving for four years, but I read somewhere that someone has to have been driving for five years before they can supervise a learner driver. Is this true or can I start learning ASAP? Thanks.
    Yeah he can supervise you, but you still need learner driver insurance!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Yes he can teach you. You must be over the age of 21 and have had held a full license for a minimum of 3years. Without a doubt he can defo teach you. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    OP needs to be insured on the car that he/she is driving. That's it.
    Ah, just assumed she was practising in his. Sorry for any confusion OP.

Thank you everyone!

It would be my mum's car but my brother would be the one driving, and I'm pretty sure he's insured. I'll have to look into learner driver insurance.

ReputationRep:
    He may be able to teach you all the basics, but a proper instructor is more likely to get you through the test.

I would question how much he will be able to help you though. He may well be a confident driver with some experience but a proper instructor can adapt to your learning style and pace, and identify areas where you need a leg-up in preparation for the test.

ReputationRep:
      there is no such legal entity as 'learner driver insurance'

the driver of a motor vehicle must have insurance cover which provides at least third party cover as specificed by the Road Traffic Act.

you can achieve this in 3 primary ways

1. be the policy holder for an insurance policy for that vehicle

2. be a named driver for an insurance policy for that vehicle

3. be the policy holder of an insurance policy on another vehicle and have a 'Driving other cars' extension as long as you fulfill the criteria for that extension ( i.e. the 'other' vehicle isn'y owned, leased or hired to you .... )

'learner driver insurance' is an alternative form of no.1 when the policy that covers a parent or siblings car would not cover the learner whether that's due to the underwriting policy of the insurer refusing to extend cover or because the premium is loaded ridiculously.

You can have multiple insurances on an item , it only becomes fraud when you attempt to seek more than indemnity from a claim...

as for supervision of a learner if you are over 21 and have 3 years full licence for the category you can supervise a learner driver.

only an ADI can teach learners on the road for pay.

(Original post by Walter Ego)
      He may be able to teach you all the basics, but a proper instructor is more likely to get you through the test.
      It's to supervise me while I practice in conjunction with a 'proper instructor'. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      Hello ArcadiaHouse

That's the best way to become a confident, competent driver; some lessons with a good instructor, and lots of private practice. The instructor has to be good, though. Be wary of anyone who tries who tries to tell you to do loads of weird pantomime routines, in case the examiner might not know what you're thinking or doing. Good driving is good driving. The examiner will recognise it. Good private candidates are like the sun coming out in an examiner's day; they are of such a higher standard than the run of sausage machine robots trying to fake and scrape their way through.

Take a look at this video of reversing on test. It will show you what to avoid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alL5K4p5fPc

All the best

Victor

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DesignFreak)
      yep, i think it's over 21 with 3 years experience.
      check up on that though, would like you to get in trouble with the lawww.
      Yeah- ive always heard that you have to be 21 and have been driving 3 years too.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.