Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My first MA assignment was due on Friday, and I submitted the work online and in person via a hard copy to my department's office. I was notified today by a friend in the program that I was supposed to hand in two hard copies. I've emailed the module director, the department secretary, and my supervisor about the issue and will be in the office early tomorrow with another copy.

What happens if a student, like myself, consulted the material at his or her disposal and found nothing about this second copy? Would one be penalized, and if so, how harshly? Is the work even graded?

I should add that I looked at my postgraduate handbook for my department, online on the Duo website, and in handouts and didn't find anything. My friend found out from the department secretary, whom I asked if everything was in order with my assignment. I'm also not used to the submission process, which is very different from my United States undergrad paper submission, which may have gotten things confused even further.

ReputationRep:
    Chill. You have submitted the work in dual-redundant form.

TBD

PS: What is a Summative Work Protocol ? It sounds like something worthy of Dilbert.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe it's too late to submit another copy. Nor would it really make sense to penalize you. Second hard copies are usually either for

A) Double Marking, to save time so two markers mark sets of papers simultaneaously rather than waiting for the first marker each time...[But if you just give them another hard copy ASAP as planned. It wouldn't have caused too much conveniance as neither of them would be looking at those copies at the same time. Perhaps one of the markers haven't even gotten down to marking the papers, period!]

B) To write comments on direclty onto the paper, for the students to recieve later. This is if there is a coversheet for marks and summary comments.

or

C) The just need an extra hard copy from you as they place the papers in multiple locations or essay banks i.e. for Uni and for Department. Saves the secretaries from photocopying.

Summative coursework is generally assessed/graded a small percentage for your overall mark (the other part would be other summative essays and the exam). Since the process is very long for double-marking, at worst you'd be scolded and glowered at and the second marker may curse your name as another paper is handed to them :P. I think they'll realize you've made an honest mistake.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.