Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This seems like a pointless thread, but bear with me. Most of the days/time I am not in one permanent location. I am usually on the move and I make been weighing up the pros, and the cons of each one.

Well first of all I am usually travelling as stated, whether that's on the 1 hour train journey, walking around in the city, etc...

I already have a netbook, that's okay. and a decent desktop PC... So then ideally I believe the iPad would be ideal in it's portability, also not to mention that the train gets crowded, and slipping an ipad out instead of a macbook Air while standing is far more convenient.

However that said I tend to run several applications at a time. which mostly are the basics; Skype, Gimp, Chrome, Word. Those are pretty much what I am on 95% of the time, I hardly do anything else...

Other then that, a keyboard will be a welcome, but mainly an Azerty keyboard, or something which I can use my native tongue on(French). I am also learning linguistics, and know a few other languages that have different orthographies, I know the ipad is great for that as they have the å, Ö, Ô, á, and so on. I forgot to check if they have any caron symbols, so an owner telling me that they have the caron C and caron S would be helpful.

Other then that I also travel from country to country, and whatever I acquire this month, may very well be the portable machine for travelling around the globe. I suppose it's not the end of the world with an ipad due the fact that I can use the applications, but for not all at once...

Please post your thoughts on this.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Really, in your case, I'd recommend an iPad.

I normally advocate the Air but the iPad is far better suited to your needs.

ReputationRep:
    get a macbook air. How you gonna post things on TSR in bed with an iPad? Have you got three hands? No you don't.

ReputationRep:
    Ipad screams "attention whore" and its just completely impractical. So if i had to say, it would be the laptop...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yousif92)
    Ipad screams "attention whore" and its just completely impractical. So if i had to say, it would be the laptop...
    I'm with you on that, however have you ever been on the 5am train on a weekday. You're lucky to find a seat. :eek: Of course, I can not talk about the UK, but Perth in this case, yes.

The macbook air I'm considering is the 11-inch one as well... 64GB SSD, 2GB ram. By the way does the Air have 3G built in or not?

(Original post by noobynoo)
    get a macbook air. How you gonna post things on TSR in bed with an iPad? Have you got three hands? No you don't.
    I hardly post things on TSR anymore... I'm more preoccupied in other things... reading the Le Monde, wiki, unilang, and skype... Also I do have a netbook, and there's nothing wrong with it, it's just a pain, flipping it open all the time... Admittedly it also makes you feel a bit cheap. however lexique pro is only available on windows...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deep Thought)
    I'm with you on that, however have you ever been on the 5am train on a weekday. You're lucky to find a seat. :eek: Of course, I can not talk about the UK, but Perth in this case, yes.

The macbook air I'm considering is the 11-inch one as well... 64GB SSD, 2GB ram. By the way does the Air have 3G built in or not?
    Yeah i suppose. But personally, it would be the laptop every time:
    much more practical. But whatever floats the proverbial boat i guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yousif92)
    Yeah i suppose. But personally, it would be the laptop every time:
    much more practical. But whatever floats the proverbial boat i guess...
    And that's what annoys me... laptop, or one at a time joe...

ReputationRep:
    I follow your point about the iPad's lack of a fixed keyboard making typing in other languages more flexible and intuitive, but you need to consider whether these win over practicality. The screen on an iPad is large enough for one to escape from the slightly fiddly experience of texting on an iPhone, but far (to my mind) from something to comfortably create significant text documents on. Admittedly, the price is for design and portability to a large degree, but the eleven inch Air is fantastic to use.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.