Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Water Cannon at Student Demos? Conservatives Say NO... Watch

ReputationRep:
    The Conservative Party has rejected calls for the police to be armed with water cannon for future student demos. Conservative Home Secretary Theresa May says that she is not only personally very much against water cannon, but that there is no legal mandate for their use in England and Wales. Senior Conservatives have rallied round to strongly support her. Is she right? Here's the article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/de...udent-protests

ReputationRep:
    Thats twisting the words a bit. She said *nobody wants to see the water cannon on british streets, but we might have to if violent protests continue*.

ReputationRep:
    Spray dozens of students in a matter of seconds, then kill them by hypothermia in a kettle? Of course she has to rule it out - maybe that'll change in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    I bet if it was left to the public, the majority would not only have the police user water cannon, they'd be given rifles as well but let's carry on pretending the majority of people in this county don't mind a bunch of workshy yobs and students who think the world owes them a living causing £10,000s of damage in the name of lawful protest

The irony of the Tories ruling this out when they've been consistently labelled 'right wing' by the protesting morons on here and beyond is hilarious.'Right wing' is the BNP, who exclusively attract racists, homophobes and general facists, not a mainstream political party that 1 fifth of the population voted for at the last election

ReputationRep:
    Can you imagine wasting all that water and then the water rates going up ? :eek:

Apparently it wastes gallons per minute - I think that would be far better used going into boilers for the old aged to use to keep them warm through this winter.

ReputationRep:
    I see she's weighing up the prospects of a hosepipe ban this summer already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Spray dozens of students in a matter of seconds, then kill them by hypothermia in a kettle? Of course she has to rule it out - maybe that'll change in the summer.
    Im not sure I get your logic, the whole Idea of a kettle is to get crowds into a small area in a compact formation. Now if people were compacted then the temperature surrounding the crowd would heat up to a very comfortable if not hot ambient temperature.

So I doubt very much they would get hypothermia!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loosebruce)
    Im not sure I get your logic, the whole Idea of a kettle is to get crowds into a small area in a compact formation. Now if people were compacted then the temperature surrounding the crowd would heat up to a very comfortable if not hot ambient temperature.

So I doubt very much they would get hypothermia!
    They're not jammed up like sardines.

ReputationRep:
    This Conservative would say Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Can you imagine wasting all that water and then the water rates going up ? :eek:

Apparently it wastes gallons per minute - I think that would be far better used going into boilers for the old aged to use to keep them warm through this winter.
    Who said anything about waste?

ReputationRep:
    Talk about an over reaction. :facepalm:

Water cannons would result in more damage to the city than that the students are causing themselves. What's more, it will make the police be perceived as 'the enemy' we are at war with rather than bystanders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    Who said anything about waste?
    Of course its a waste of water.

They use approx 250 gallons per minute so therefore that is a substantial waste of water that could be used in a better way.

The cost of using them will far outweigh the cost of fixing the damage done by the minority of yobs during the protests.

Again, the police fail to think about the economic repercussions.

I can also see the use of water cannons leading to more violent attacks from students in retaliation. If bombs/fire bombs/guns/knives are used by the protesters in retaliation then the police only have themselves to blame for using water cannons that can break bones, blind people and cause other serious life long problems.

ReputationRep:

Yeah but come one, this is Britain the rain never stops, running out of water is the least of our worries!

ReputationRep:
    Arm the police with super soakers. Protests will be more fun then. Protestors can throw water bombs.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

I can also see the use of water cannons leading to more violent attacks from students in retaliation. If bombs/fire bombs/guns/knives are used by the protesters in retaliation then the police only have themselves to blame for using water cannons
    This is such a fail of logic. I hate the people that try to argue this. The students get violent so the police react then its suddenly the police's fault when people get hurt despite the fact its the protesters that start it.

ReputationRep:
    Of course its a waste of water.

They use approx 250 gallons per minute so therefore that is a substantial waste of water that could be used in a better way.

The cost of using them will far outweigh the cost of fixing the damage done by the minority of yobs during the protests.

Again, the police fail to think about the economic repercussions.

I can also see the use of water cannons leading to more violent attacks from students in retaliation. If bombs/fire bombs/guns/knives are used by the protesters in retaliation then the police only have themselves to blame for using water cannons that can break bones, blind people and cause other serious life long problems.
    Waste of water - ROFL!

ReputationRep:

Agreed. Water is a waste. Instead the police should throw dictionaries, books, and encyclopaedias at the rioters. So that they know instead of wasting time on a riot that they can put that time to studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    Agreed. Water is a waste. Instead the police should throw dictionaries, books, and encyclopaedias at the rioters. So that they know instead of wasting time on a riot that they can put that time to studying.
    What I'm saying is instead of wasting a resource like water which could be used to keep OAP's homes warm they should just use a bit of common sense - its obvious that they should just use paintball guns to shoot yobs.

Then those covered in paint are obviously the ones they should arrest later on, or those who have stripped off to get the paint off them.

These can be fired directly at the culprits whilst also making London more colourful.

Its only painful, less likely to hit yobs in the face and cause serious issues as its a precision used weapon and the pain aspect alone will deter rioters, never mind the prospect of being arrested later if covered if marked.

Pepperball rounds
    Pepper-spray projectiles, commonly called pepperballs[2], are direct-fire paintball-like capsules filled with a pepper spray solution of capsaicin. They provide a longer range, more user-friendly way to disperse pepper spray. Many sorts can be fired from paintball markers. Other sorts are designed to be fired from specially-designed pepperball guns whose muzzle velocity is greater than a paintball marker: if the velocity is not high enough the projectile will not break. As a paintball impact is mildly painful, it can discourage rioters by itself, but the pepper spray incapacitates and discourages a larger number of rioters with each shot.

ReputationRep:
    Acid cannons?

ReputationRep:
    Nice idea of paint, I am sure people will appreciate iconic London buildings looking like a giant child's fingerpainting. I am also quite sure the painted targets will just lie down and play dead when they get hit, so that the police can arrest them 5 hours after they threw the first stone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.