The Student Room Group

Cambridge Summer School

http://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/courses/summer-schools/summer-school-programmes

Anybody heard of it or know much about it? It seems pretty cool but I was wondering if anybody knows some more about it.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mehhh seriously?
Reply 2
I went to a Summer School at Cambridge this summer :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Pheebs1201
I went to a Summer School at Cambridge this summer :smile:

how was it?
I went on the NI Initiative summer school at Cambridge this summer at corpus christi - it was actually amazing :smile: (not to sound too geeky or anything... :tongue:)
Reply 5

I went to the Cambridge FE summer school in June. It was at Fitzwilliam College :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Stanford1981
http://www.ice.cam.ac.uk/courses/summer-schools/summer-school-programmes

Anybody heard of it or know much about it? It seems pretty cool but I was wondering if anybody knows some more about it.

Thanks

I've worked at a few. Often the set up is something like a few days. Each day you have a full programme of lectures or other activities relevant to the theme of the summer school. You're accommodated in student accommodation in a college and have good meals provided. There are interesting cultural and entertainment activities scheduled in the evenings...
Not really sure what else you want to know. Obviously more details about the above depend on which summer school you go to.
Reply 7
Original post by Craghyrax
I've worked at a few. Often the set up is something like a few days. Each day you have a full programme of lectures or other activities relevant to the theme of the summer school. You're accommodated in student accommodation in a college and have good meals provided. There are interesting cultural and entertainment activities scheduled in the evenings...
Not really sure what else you want to know. Obviously more details about the above depend on which summer school you go to.

i was thinking about Interdisciplinary Summer School Term I
I was at the Sutton Trust Programme in July at Fitzwilliam. It was really great cos you basically got a few days to experience Cambridge and what interviews and tutorials in your subject would be like. I met loads of people I still talk to now and we're all nervously awaiting the results of our interviews !
Definitely apply because it's great fun and a good way to tell if Cambridge is for you because some on my course decided against it while others became even more determined.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Ammelia
I went to the Cambridge FE summer school in June. It was at Fitzwilliam College :smile:

That's the one I went to! :smile:
i was thinking about Interdisciplinary Summer School Term I

I imagine that this would just involve a selection of sample lectures from loads of different areas, as well as fun activities. But yeh, you need to think of some more specific questions otherwise I don't really know how else to describe it!
Reply 11
Original post by Pheebs1201
That's the one I went to! :smile:

:five: Were you in sciences as well?
Original post by Ammelia
:five: Were you in sciences as well?

No humanities :smile: x
Reply 13
Original post by CountDuckula
I went on the NI Initiative summer school at Cambridge this summer at corpus christi - it was actually amazing :smile: (not to sound too geeky or anything... :tongue:)

I went on this one too, a good few years ago now. It was great! We had lectures, supervisions and did a group project. We also had a formal and a few other things. Definitely recommend them :-)
Reply 14
are students at this program from cambridge or unis of equal caliber? is the program highly regarded?

im trying to decide between this program and an internship somewhere. theyre kind of completely different things but i wonder which would be more useful
Reply 15
Is it similar to the LSE summer school?
Is there an economics topic - within the summer school.
I don't know anything about LSE's summer school.
are students at this program from cambridge or unis of equal caliber? is the program highly regarded?

im trying to decide between this program and an internship somewhere. theyre kind of completely different things but i wonder which would be more useful

Well the summer schools I have experience of are more like general taster sessions to give people an idea of what undergraduate study is like at Cambridge and to encourage them to apply. I don't know of any summer schools that are for people already at University or graduates. So if you've found one then I can't give any information on that.
If its in a particular field (e.g. business) then it might be better asking in the Postgraduate forum or the Business forum, where more people might know of it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Craghyrax
I've worked at a few.

If you don't mind me asking, how was it? I've applied to work there this summer, and should be interviewed some time in Easter Term.
Original post by nuodai
If you don't mind me asking, how was it? I've applied to work there this summer, and should be interviewed some time in Easter Term.

The sort I worked at aren't the sort you get interviewed to work at. They're run by Cambridge and they employ their own student ambassadors for them (which you are recruited as separately) The one I did was lots of fun.
I went to one in July, and it was so much fun! It's really good to live in the accommodation for a bit, so you really know what it's like. You also get to ask the students almost anything about the uni, lectures, work, etc. Everyone was really friendly, and I think it worked best for helping students decide if Cambridge/specific course was really for them.
(btw this wasn't the exact summer school your link is about)
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending