Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've visited both Nottingham and Bristol, and loved both of them in terms of atmosphere. However, I'm not really clear about the quality and reputation of these two schools. I learned that Bristol has very strong links with many city firms, but I also learned that Nottingham is pretty reputable amongst these firms and also bars.

Could you please give some idea on the reputation of these two schools, the differences between them (other than the place), and quality of education?

ReputationRep:
    I also have the same dilemma and will visit Nottingham in Jan.

In terms of reputation I don't really know. Bristol is older and a smaller University. Nottingham is huge and has a big international profile!

ReputationRep:
    Are you specifically referring to reputation of the Law Depts? From what I've heard, Nottingham seems to be pretty high up for their Law. Top 5 if not mistaken. Though I think Bristol is higher in terms of overall ranking.

ReputationRep:
    Let's say that I work really hard and get high grades. What are the chances of getting into an international law firm, maybe MC, from Nottingham and Bristol, if I get the same grades in both universities?

I also know that extracurriculars, such as pro bono, law society, internship etc, are also important. Which universities present their students more opportunities in such activities?

ReputationRep:
    If you get very high grades on both your chances on getting into a big international law firm are virtually the same.

Bristol is seen is a prestigious law department (in the top 10) so is Nottingham.

If job prospects is your concern...both are excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CURMEH)
    Let's say that I work really hard and get high grades. What are the chances of getting into an international law firm, maybe MC, from Nottingham and Bristol, if I get the same grades in both universities?

Both good prospects... Some employers may prefer Bristol but for law both are very good.

I also know that extracurriculars, such as pro bono, law society, internship etc, are also important. Which universities present their students more opportunities in such activities?
    I would say Bristol: they have the law clinic..the innocence project...etc...

ReputationRep:
    Both have a very good reputation for Law (with Bristol having a better reputation overall) so in that case, I would go with which city you prefer. That's what I did.

Bristol hands down.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.