Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Heavy Drinking with the flu? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Before we go back from uni we have organised a massive drinking session for tomorrow night, this has been organised for about a month, and I've been really looking forward to it (I cba to explain, but its different from the normal "lets get wasted" piss up sessions we have)

However, I have got the flu atm, and I really don't see it getting better by tomorrow, would there be any massively severe effects from drinking heavily with the flu? Because if anything it might perk me up a bit, and because of money I haven't had a drink in over 2 weeks, so had beers in the fridge for ages.

I get hangovers when I drink anyway, I'm prepared for that, but will it have a bad effect on the flu, like make my cold worse or anything? If it will have a serious effect I might just go and not drink, which isn't that fun with loads of smashed people.

ReputationRep:
    i doubt this will come as a surprise, but YES. i had the beginnings of a cold (blocked up, etc) on friday, decided to have a massive drinking session that night, and the next day my 'cold' seemed to have turned into full-on flu. even after the hangover wore off i was stuck in bed for 2 days feeling chronic and am still exhausted, and coldy.
    alcohol depresses the immune system so if you don't mind potentially getting more ill in the near future then go ahead... but i regret it now!

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably just be really rough on the night and get a worse than usual hang over. A hangover's bad enough with out a flu.
    Can't you just lay off the drinking so you're not totally inebriated?

-Also, op, I love your taste in music!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fragile_Illusions)
    You'll probably just be really rough on the night and get a worse than usual hang over. A hangover's bad enough with out a flu.
    Can't you just lay off the drinking so you're not totally inebriated?

-Also, op, I love your taste in music!
    I'll probably take it easy on the drinkinf as far as everyone else will let me, lol.

Cool you like my taste in music, it's very rare you meet girls who have even heard of most of those bands, especially ones like Mayhem, Anaal Nathrakh and Entombed lol

ReputationRep:
    I find that alcohol is one of the best means of getting through the colds/flu, it does nothing to prolong them and makes their symptoms far more tolerable.

That said, my advice on all things alcohol should probably be ignored, what with me being a 'functioning alcoholic' or some such nonsense.

Mayhem and Anaal Nathrakh on Saturday, *****es.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I did this on Monday last week, was feeling okay on the Sunday so I just went for it, been feeling terrible since. Depends on the type of flu I guess.

Also echoing my love for the OP's quite awesome taste in music.

edit; above poster, i do quite hate you for that last comment, however i will have the last laugh when i see coroner and immortal in the summer:smug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I

Mayhem and Anaal Nathrakh on Saturday, *****es.
    Oh yeah! had the tickets booked for soooo long, I seem to have been waiting FOREVER for the gig to come around. Gots to do 2 essays before that though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    Oh yeah! had the tickets booked for soooo long, I seem to have been waiting FOREVER for the gig to come around. Gots to do 2 essays before that though
    All this home slice's essays for the year are now done. VODKA, TRAMADOL AND MUSIC, *****ES.

ReputationRep:
    All this home slice's essays for the year are now done. VODKA, TRAMADOL AND MUSIC, *****ES.
    urrgh vodka. All about the jack daniels and the ale! Lucky ******* all your essays finished. One of mine is going to be easy, but the other one philosophy of art (****ing ****iest rubbish module ever I wish I had never chosen it, 110% bull****) is ridiculously hard, I have no freaking clue what any of it means. Going to lectures may have been a good idea

ReputationRep:
    I'd say man up... but as I currently have man flu, its a real struggle, I feel sorry for you bro :console:

ReputationRep:
    urrgh vodka. All about the jack daniels and the ale! Lucky ******* all your essays finished. One of mine is going to be easy, but the other one philosophy of art (****ing ****iest rubbish module ever I wish I had never chosen it, 110% bull****) is ridiculously hard, I have no freaking clue what any of it means. Going to lectures may have been a good idea
    Haha, foshame. I'm reading oldsk00l philosophy **** now purely for the luls.

What course you doing? I'm doing Ancient History/History/Arabic.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel as though you can go out drinking, you do NOT have flu. Cold and flu are not the same thing.. just saying.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, foshame. I'm reading oldsk00l philosophy **** now purely for the luls.

What course you doing? I'm doing Ancient History/History/Arabic.
    Straight philosophy. Did philosophy of art just coz it had philosophy in it, its just a bunch of hippies talking about pictures. I ****ing hate hippies.

ReputationRep:
    Flu+heavy drinking = a no no
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a few tots of whisky might make you feel better, but I somehow doubt that, come the hangover, your body will be in a fit state to fight off whatever virus you have.

ReputationRep:
    Before we go back from uni we have organised a massive drinking session for tomorrow night, this has been organised for about a month, and I've been really looking forward to it (I cba to explain, but its different from the normal "lets get wasted" piss up sessions we have)

However, I have got the flu atm, and I really don't see it getting better by tomorrow, would there be any massively severe effects from drinking heavily with the flu? Because if anything it might perk me up a bit, and because of money I haven't had a drink in over 2 weeks, so had beers in the fridge for ages.

I get hangovers when I drink anyway, I'm prepared for that, but will it have a bad effect on the flu, like make my cold worse or anything? If it will have a serious effect I might just go and not drink, which isn't that fun with loads of smashed people.
    You do not have the 'flu. It might be a moderate-bad cold, but if you're contemplating doing anything other than being in bed, you do not have the 'flu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    If you feel as though you can go out drinking, you do NOT have flu. Cold and flu are not the same thing.. just saying.
    I am getting better now which is why I am considering it, but believe me I did have the flu saturday night, as well as just headache, sore throat blocked nose and cough, I was aching all over, too hot then too cold all the time, hair standing on end and hurt if i touched it, and my vision started to go weird from it. I had no appetite at all and was too sluggish to do anything. And when I woke up that morning. I was coughing up so violently so much that I ended up coughing up a bit of blood. I think I'm down to a moderate cold now, but Sunday was the worst I had felt in years.

ReputationRep:

You do not have the 'flu. It might be a moderate-bad cold, but if you're contemplating doing anything other than being in bed, you do not have the 'flu.

ReputationRep:
    Straight philosophy. Did philosophy of art just coz it had philosophy in it, its just a bunch of hippies talking about pictures. I ****ing hate hippies.
    Aye, thank **** we were hammered for the history of art lectures. So much homoerotic crap. Apparently my tickets for Virus/Ulver are at parents now. SO ****ING EXCITE. Ulver are good and all, and seeing them again is cool, but I haven't anticipated seeing anything as much as I am Virus in ****ing ages. Roll on March.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, thank **** we were hammered for the history of art lectures. So much homoerotic crap. Apparently my tickets for Virus/Ulver are at parents now. SO ****ING EXCITE. Ulver are good and all, and seeing them again is cool, but I haven't anticipated seeing anything as much as I am Virus in ****ing ages. Roll on March.
    I'm not going to be seeing anything after saturday for a long long time with how badly my finances are going. BTW don't remember ever hearing of virus, are they BM?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.