Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help and advice for alevels subject pick a.s.a.p please anyone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! So my concern is that I need to pick my alevels subject by this friday(3 days from now) . So far I've picked Econs, Socio and Law and im interested in the international relations field when im done with Alevels but apparently if i take law it isnt a "traditional" subject so its harder for me to get into good uni's since ive only 2 traditional subjects.
    Is this true?

But I dont have any other subject options besides english literature or maths. Its quite limited over here and it comes in a set.
    WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL IF SOMEONE COULD HELP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esalls)
    Hello everyone! So my concern is that I need to pick my alevels subject by this friday(3 days from now) . So far I've picked Econs, Socio and Law and im interested in the international relations field when im done with Alevels but apparently if i take law it isnt a "traditional" subject so its harder for me to get into good uni's since ive only 2 traditional subjects.
    Is this true?

But I dont have any other subject options besides english literature or maths. Its quite limited over here and it comes in a set.
    WOULD BE SO GRATEFUL IF SOMEONE COULD HELP!
    Hi , well basically some universities have a 'blacklist' of subjects they don't like, and both law and sociology are on there. However, most universities say they don't mind you have one 'blacklisted' subject at A2, providing your other two subjects are 'traditional/proper subjects'. Would you consider taking a language as a fourth option if you're interested in international relations? Both English Lit and Maths would be very good options, if you feel you would be happy taking them for A Level. If you would hate doing them for two years, stick with law because you need to be motivated to do well in whichever A levels you pick. You could take Geography or History for a fourth option? Geography would probably go well with sociology and history is always good as it's a solid essay based subject.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    For International Relations- I'd say that History or Geography are pretty good subjects to take. I don't know if your school/college does Government & Politics? That might be a good one as well. As the previous poster mentioned, languages are also good! I agree that its good to get a balance between 'acadmemic/traditional' subjects and other subjects because some unis can be a bit iffy about them.

Pick subjects that you enjoy/have an interest in because you'll be studying them for the next 2 years!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviluck)
    some universities have a 'blacklist' of subjects they don't like, and both law and sociology are on there
    Please explain this more to me, last time I checked, law was a respectable A-level to take. And which universities are these?

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend History or Politics. Maybe English Lit as another alternative. As said above, languages if you are good at them would be another option. I am surpised that law is not regarded as a traditional subject, but if you enjoy it, take it. At the end of the day, you have to spend 2 years studying these subjects and you want to be able to enjoy them. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Please explain this more to me, last time I checked, law was a respectable A-level to take. And which universities are these?
    This is the list from Trinity College Cambridge which tends to be floated around quite a bit, and while it's not going to be representative of every single university and department, it's certainly a good starting point.

LIST A1
    Generally Suitable Science A-levels
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Mathematics
    Further Mathematics
    Physics

LIST A2
    Generally Suitable Arts A-levels
    Art History
    Chinese
    Classical Civilisation
    Economics
    English Literature
    French
    Geography
    German
    Greek
    History
    Irish
    Italian
    Japanese
    Latin
    Music
    Philosophy
    Religious Studies
    Russian
    Spanish
    Welsh

LIST B
    Limited Suitability
    Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
    Art & Design (Architecture/History of Art)
    Business Studies (Economics)
    Design & Technology (Architecture)
    Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
    Electronics (Engineering)
    English Language (Arts)
    Film Studies (Arts)
    Government & Politics (Arts)
    Law (Law)
    Media Studies (Arts)
    Psychology (Arts)
    Sociology (Arts)

LIST C
    Unsuitable A-levels
    Accounting
    Citizenship
    Communication Studies
    Critical Thinking
    Dance
    General Studies
    Health & Social Care
    Home Economics
    ICT
    Leisure Studies
    Music Technology
    Performance Studies
    Performing Arts
    Photography
    Physical Education
    Sports Studies
    Travel & Tourism
    Disclaimer: This may be out of date, or not 100% accurate, and definitely doesn't represent the opinions of every uni or department. It's just the best list I could find in two minutes of Googling.

ReputationRep:
    sociology is a non academic subject. Good universities do not respect it and neither do employers. Drop it and take both english and maths. If you will not do four then do maths.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    This is the list from Trinity College Cambridge which tends to be floated around quite a bit, and while it's not going to be representative of every single university and department, it's certainly a good starting point.

Disclaimer: This may be out of date, or not 100% accurate, and definitely doesn't represent the opinions of every uni or department. It's just the best list I could find in two minutes of Googling.
    Oh right, I never knew that -.- thats completely confused me now

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, I never knew that -.- thats completely confused me now
    Don't be too disheartened by it. Unsurprisingly, Cambridge tend to have a slightly longer "blacklist" than many other places.

A far from complete list can be found here.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Don't be too disheartened by it. Unsurprisingly, Cambridge tend to have a slightly longer "blacklist" than many other places.

A far from complete list can be found here.
    Oh right, it would have helped if I knew this before I applied though haha. I'm sure my subjects arent on anyones list(hopefully)

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, it would have helped if I knew this before I applied though haha. I'm sure my subjects arent on anyones list(hopefully)
    Well from your profile...
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Further Maths AS
    Yeah. You're safe with those. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Law comes under 'A Level's of more limited suitability', this means it's not too bad as a third A Level choice but isn't as good as traditional subjects such a sciences, maths, English, humanities and languages.

The list is here http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604.

Originally it was just Oxbridge that 'blacklisted' these subjects, however there are now more universities looking at the list as university places become more and more competitive.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys that was alot of help!
    However i sent an email to the University of York, they told me that econs,law and socio would be fine for an application to the international relations field!
    I haven't got a reply from other uni's tho!
    Also, i sent the same question as above on a different thread and someone replied saying that only LSE and Manchester uni wont accept law as a third subject!
    But since Uni of York thinks that the 3 subjects are fine i think i might stick with it!
    Thanks a bunch again everyone!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well from your profile...

Yeah. You're safe with those. :cool:
    Goooood good =]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.