OCR Chemistry Chains,Rings&S 21 Jan Watch

This discussion is closed.
madmazda86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Then the paper was wrong? It had the resulting polymer as being a hydroxyl group that had been converted to an ester linkage - it was joined to a carboxylic acid - and saying that this was addition polymerisation! I didn't understand why they were saying that when it was an ester linkage, but because they're so fond of giving odd molecules to ask questions about I thought it may have been some new thing that we hadn't done... gah. Might ask the teacher about it and find out if it was a mistake on the paper or me having an idiot moment.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There were two polymers, one was an addition polymer the other was condenstation, it told you that.

The first monomer was an alkene, ethene or sumthing similar,

The second was a condensation polymer which two monomers required.
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by cobra01977)
There were two polymers, one was an addition polymer the other was condenstation, it told you that.

The first monomer was an alkene, ethene or sumthing similar,

The second was a condensation polymer which two monomers required.
As far as i remember the two monomers for the second one were....

HOCH2.CH2OH

and HOOC(BENZENE RING)COOH

I think thats the right reagents but the exam was at least 2 days ago so i may not remember!
madmazda86
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Noooo, I don't mean that one - I think the one you're referring to is the one on polyethene and terylene? There was this other question... yes, I'm that sad, I even drew a diagram It definitely said addition though, and it was definitely an ester linkage there... meh, I don't know.
Attached files
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by madmazda86)
Noooo, I don't mean that one - I think the one you're referring to is the one on polyethene and terylene? There was this other question... yes, I'm that sad, I even drew a diagram It definitely said addition though, and it was definitely an ester linkage there... meh, I don't know.
Well, I drew the same thing as the repeating unit but did a double bond between the 2 carbon atoms and removed the side bonds.
madmazda86
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sounds like an aldehyde which is what I drew. Keeps niggling at me, though - I'm sure that question was a bit dodgy. Alas I've no Chemistry till next Friday 'cause of Uni interviews and PSHE so I guess I'll have to wait (pesky Chemistry teacher is NEVER around at any other time!)
George-W-Duck
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by madmazda86)
Sounds like an aldehyde which is what I drew. Keeps niggling at me, though - I'm sure that question was a bit dodgy. Alas I've no Chemistry till next Friday 'cause of Uni interviews and PSHE so I guess I'll have to wait (pesky Chemistry teacher is NEVER around at any other time!)
I dont think the side chain changed in the process so i did like jediknight
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (388)
67.24%
No (189)
32.76%

Watched Threads