Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a really strong phobia of walking on ice, especially because I suffer from really bad back pain. Not only am I frightened of falling over and hurting myself, I'm scared of the embarrasment that comes with it, and not being able to get back up.

My street is like an ice arena at the moment, I tried to go to the shop yesterday and got stuck outside my garden. My nerves started kicking in, so I heading back in doors which took about 10 minutes.

Is there any relaxation tablets or something I could take to help steady tmy nerves? I'm obsessing it over it quite bad and I can't stay in doors forever as I have things to do.

I don't own any boots with grips, just have trainers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Wrap chains around your feet?

ReputationRep:
    walk slower? and with someone so that u can hold on to them, or u could get a cane...

ReputationRep:
    Stay inside until the ice clears. :fatcontroller:

ReputationRep:
    I intend on staying in, but I have to go out on Friday. I just hope it clears by then.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I used to be scared to walk on ice aswell, because as an introverted person, I didnt want to embarress myself by falling over, so I used to walk carefully, but I was often told by people that I walked like I dropped a brick in my pants. So I decided falling over is less embarrassing

ReputationRep:
    Yaktrax

Word has it they'll be back in stock next week.

Everyone falls over. If they see you, they'll laugh. If you seem them, you'll laugh. Just take it on the chin (although not quite literally, could be painful) and move on.

When it's icy I just drive everywhere. Might dent my car but I'll still be warm and standing upright.

ReputationRep:
    Get some decent winter boots and try not to worry.

ReputationRep:
    This forum gets millions of posts about people being nervous and embarassed about all sorts of things, but too nervous to walk outside in case you slip on ice? Seriously? Just deal with it and maybe fall over sometimes, unless you're like 60 you will have sufficiently strong bones that you are unlikely to do more than get a few bruises. I lost count of the number of times I slipped over when living in Norway a few years ago, and I've also come off my bike on ice a fair few times (though then again that really does hurt).

And recommendations for tablets? Ffs, the problem is a social one, not a medical one. You don't need to take tablets for every conceivable fear and worry.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you do fall, stay lying down. People can't laugh if there is a chance you might be dead

No seriously, I get a bit panicky on ice, get some shoes with good grip on them, link with someone as you walk?, or do as I do and walk on the road if there's no traffic.

ReputationRep:
    If you're really tense and nervous about it, then it'll hurt more if you fall. The important thing is to relax. (easier said than done, I know)

I'm not very afraid of walking/slipping on ice. It does hurt a little more to fall these days, I'm getting old, lol. But it's not something I really worry about. I usually don't fall. Unless you're old, have bone issues, and not running like crazy, you'll only end up with a few bruises at the worst. Just get some good shoes and don't stress about it. Slipping on ice is quite a common thing! Try to walk on the edge of the pavement/grass etc, if it hasn't been gritted.

Seriously, they don't grit the ice at all? They do that here. Most of it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I slipped twice on snow/ice this year. :facepalm2: And I have the gayest way of slipping so you can't do worse than me. Never fell though, thank god.

ReputationRep:
    omg I have the same problem I stood 4 ages 2 day on a street and would not move cause of ice I was crying for ages!

When I am wearing my Ice grip its a lot better!x Get some of them they help

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.