Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been learning to drive for about 7 weeks, had about 8 lessons I think. Last week I was driving with instructor, it was dark, foggy and there was some snow falling and quite a lot on pavements etc, not on road, but still i was wary of risk of ice etc. It was also a different car to the one I had previously been driving in and had only been driving in it for half an hour or so. In this situation was it unreasonable for me to be driving at about 22-25 mph in a 30mph zone?

I know what I think, but just wanted some other people's opinions.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Total depends on the road conditions, if it was a busy main road it would probably be fine to drive 27-30 easy but if it was a side road you were probably on the money.

All depends how comfortable you felt.

Who has told you otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that. well my instructor sort of had a go at me for going slow, which made me think I was in the wrong, but looking back, i don't see how driving faster would have benefitted anyone, and there was no one behind us at that moment

ReputationRep:
    I don't see anything wrong with you tasking your time in those circumstances. My instructor always tells me to take my time if I don't feel comfortable with the conditions so I personally think your instrutor was wrong to have a go at you for it.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine your instructor would have a better handle on what was an appropriate speed to go than a bunch of randoms off the internet who weren't even there.

ReputationRep:
    It's perfectly reasonable to travel as slowly as you need. On some particularly icy stretches and where quite narrow, it may be sensible to travel far slower even than 20mph. On other roads it may still be safe at 30mph even in ice. If as in this case it's more concerning the pavement conditions, you may choose to react differently when there are pedestrians around to when there aren't, for example.

Just judge it on the conditions at the time and if your instincts tell you to go a bit slower, you should probably trust them. Even if you don't actually need to slow down, you won't do anyone any harm if you're a few mph below what's technically safe and legal.

Obviously can't comment on the actual situation as I wasn't there.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose a good way to judge it would be to keep a constant distance from the car in front - that way, you're travelling at the same speed as the traffic rather than slowing it down.

On a well-used road with only light snowfall, the surface is probably alright to do normal speed on; a less-gritted country road, then I don't really see a problem.

Ultimately though, we weren't there at the time, so best bet is to listen to your driving instructor rather than us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    I suppose a good way to judge it would be to keep a constant distance from the car in front - that way, you're travelling at the same speed as the traffic rather than slowing it down.

If you're doing this, be sure to leave a sufficient gap. In poor conditions it would probably be sensible to keep the gap somewhere between 4 and 20 seconds depending on surface grip and your speed at the time. Also be careful that any vehicles in front do not cause you to travel faster than is safe.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.