Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This may seem like a bit of an odd question, but does anyone know if your referees can read the whole application you've written? or does the law firm just email them and ask for a reference? Just because i may have embellished on the truth slightly on mine (not too much though) and i don't particularly want my boss to know that i've exaggerated the stuff i've done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sxp842)
    This may seem like a bit of an odd question, but does anyone know if your referees can read the whole application you've written? or does the law firm just email them and ask for a reference? Just because i may have embellished on the truth slightly on mine (not too much though) and i don't particularly want my boss to know that i've exaggerated the stuff i've done!
    It varies by firm - I doubt many would give your entire form to your referee but they will ask them to verify details and ask for an account of your character. Some firms (notably Slaughter and May) personally phone up all referees and ask them questions, but others will just send an email asking standard questions like confirming grades or dates and responsibilities etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    Both my referees asked to have a look at a couple of my applications when I asked them if I could give their details and I think this was a good idea as it's useful if you and your referees are on the same page.

Anyway as far as I know, the firms won't send your applications to the referees but they could mention anything in there. I think you could be on dodgy ground if your boss tells the firm what your duties are and they are totally different to what you've described, or if the firm asks about something and the boss says you haven't done it :s It will probably be okay but it really depends on how much you've embellished!
    This is true. I would definately reccomend discussing your application before submitting it with your chosen referee so he/she is aware of everything you have said.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend re-writing your application to remove the lies, that way you won't need to worry if your application form is sent your referees.

Plus, when you tell the truth, recall is 100%, which tends not to be the case when you lie (which is the accurate wording for 'embellishment' when used in relation to application forms!). Don't forget that those who do recruitment are very likely to see through an embellished application, and if they catch you out, they are going to think you are dishonest - not a great trait for someone who wants to be a lawyer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.