Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, What is the best CV layout to have. I've now gone for a very simple, clean and neat one with no formatting or particular layout to make it look fancy - in stark contrast to my old one.

What layouts do you find to be successful? Can you post templates of them at all?

ReputationRep:
    I need help on this aswell.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what sort of job you are applying for to what sort of CV will be best!

I like using a skills based one with clear headings

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple Haze)
    It depends what sort of job you are applying for to what sort of CV will be best!

I like using a skills based one with clear headings

x
    I'm applying to finance/admin jobs - recently wrote to a new branch of barclays opening in my high street. I posted on the CV section on here, and, with respect to them, they sent me a template - if it can be called such - that looked like the sort of thing I put together in year 11 in 5 minutes when we had mock interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    I'm applying to finance/admin jobs - recently wrote to a new branch of barclays opening in my high street. I posted on the CV section on here, and, with respect to them, they sent me a template - if it can be called such - that looked like the sort of thing I put together in year 11 in 5 minutes when we had mock interviews.
    Well i guess you can just use it as a basis for what needs to go on it? :/
    I don't really have any websites I can reccommend maybe have a look on Prospectus?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    I can assure you that the CV Help thread know a lot more than you did in year 11, or have picked up since. Both the regular advisers have over 20 years professional experience each, and one of them works HR/recruitment

The simpler the format of the CV, the more the content does the talking. All employers see when they get fancy CV layouts is they are dealing with someone who a) doesn't know much about business life and b) puts presentation above content. Those are big negatives in any employers book and are likely to get your CV put straight in the bin.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.