Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi guys,
    Hopefully I can get a few answers on here.
    Right, the situation is as follows:

    I left school with 7 GCSE's (C and above)
    And then entered college to do my A-Levels. I then had some problems back at home causing me to leave me college after around 3-4 months of education. I had a few months out and then I started looking for a job. I managed to get a job in the insurance industry with Aviva and since then have been in full-time work (nearly 2 years).
    I have now got to the point where I want a change and to go back into education for the next 3-4 years and work towards some qualifications.

    As I missed out on college, and missing out on 2 years, would it still be available for me to join a University? I would be looking to do a Business/Economics course.

    Do Universitys accept students with no A-Level qualifications?

    If not, what are my options?

    Any help here and I would forever been in your favour. Stuck in a rut at the moment and keep kicking myself I didn't go back into education.

    Note: I'm only 18, coming on 19 in May.


    You could research an Access to Higher Education course if you dont fancy a levels?

    I'm 25years old and like you i left school with no A-Levels due to personal issues. I would say the best three options are;

    1. Study for your A-Levels
    This can be done at a local college, either full time or part time options might be available. I personally choose to home study two A-Levels, i could PM you details if you were interested. It was a lot of work though as i worked full time and studied part time but i feel its been worth it. I studied the two A-Levels over one year. With the qualifications i have gained i've been able to apply for degrees with a foundations year and HNDs/DipHe.

    2. Study an Access Course
    Its one year if you study full time, i dont know a great deal about these type of courses but within the mature students forum there is a lot of advice. When i spoke to admissions officers from universites i was interested in they suggested an access course if you have no A-Level results. As long as you pass the course then you can progress onto a degree.

    3. Apply for a Degree with a Foundation Year.
    I think the foundation years are more designed for mature students who have been out of education for some time but you can email/phone the admissions department at any universities you were interested in and ask if you would qualify for a foundation year.

    Good luck in whatever you choose!
    • Thread Starter

    Highly appreciate the fast response, and good to get a response of someone who was in a similar situation to what I was.
    I would be grateful if you could pm me the details on the part-time A-Levels as I thought this would be the best thing myself.
    I work full-time now so would be doing the same thing as you did, tiring but I feel it would be worth it in the long run.

    But yes, again, thanks for the fast response on this and would be good to know some more details.

How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course


Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.