Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need some assistance please. I have currently finished my law degree and I really like to work for non for profit firm such as an law centre. the problem is that I dont want to be working theire for free for the rest of my life. I have secured an volunteering position at a law centre as a volunteer case assistant. is there any chance this position could lead to a paid job in the near future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    I need some assistance please. I have currently finished my law degree and I really like to work for non for profit firm such as an law centre. the problem is that I dont want to be working theire for free for the rest of my life. I have secured an volunteering position at a law centre as a volunteer case assistant. is there any chance this position could lead to a paid job in the near future.
    Only your employer can tell you that.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how the centre recruits and whether it has any open positions I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Law centres offer training contracts but often need to sort out specific funding on a case by case basis. They may want you to do a block release part-time training contract.

The problem with law centres is that they are deeply, deeply out of fashion. Funding is being cut because they are seen as contributing to, rather than ameliorating social problems, in the fields of law in which they operate. A number of law centres and similar organisations have closed in the last 6-8 years and very few tears are being shed. These closures are not unthinking vandalism by public sector funders but rather a reflection of a belief on the part of funders that looked at in the round law centres are not serving a worthwhile purpose.

For example, there is now a widespread view amongst policymakers and academics that work is better than being on the sick even for those who are by no means 100% healthy. Why then should public money be spent providing legal advice for welfare benefits appeals for those borderline people who failed their medical examination but who might be able to win an appeal? The money that would be spent funding a welfare rights adviser in a law centre might be better spent trying to find that person a job.

Likewise homelessness cases are seen as a queue-jumping racket, public sector housing repair cases as diverting both money and management time away from improving housing stock and school exclusion cases as undermining headteachers' authority. The list could go on.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Congratulations on getting this position! That's really fantastic for someone who's just finished their degree. The centre obviously saw great potential in you.

Even though it's unpaid, this will stand you in excellent stead for a paid position whether at the law centre or elsewhere. Yes, it's true that law centres are closing down but this is the case for some law firms as well. There are always lots of law graduates chasing few jobs. However, the best thing you can do is get relevant experience which is what you are getting. When I was a trainee we didn't consider anyone without casework experience. This means that out of all the people who applied, we only interviewed people with prior casework experience, as they had a good idea of how to do the job.

Best of luck

Beth (solicitor)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.