The Student Room Group

How many people here have never had a girlfriend or boyfriend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Me... quite embarrassing really, but this thread makes me feel a little better. :biggrin:

I'm just too shy, especially around girls. Meh.

Original post by Fandabidoze!
"Is it just that you have a lack of confidence or is it that you can't be bothered and prefer to be single"

Bit of both. It's stupid because I do want a girlfriend but I get into these "can't be bothered" moods. These moods are influenced by fear of rejection but I know that if I don't take that risk, I'll never get any "yes" answers either. I also have no girl aquaintances (I used to be even shyer/lazier than I am now) so any potential GF's are going to be strangers.

Pretty much exactly what this guy said applies to me.

Also this:

Original post by Anonymous
Why have I remained single? Because I have literally made zero effort to ever get a girl. I've never asked one out and as I mentioned, I haven't really flirted with one either.
(edited 13 years ago)
21 year old male here and never had a girlfriend. Not only that but I've literally done NOTHING with a girl i.e no dates, no kisses, not even flirted with one (if a girl at any point in my life has flirted with me, then I was probably oblivious to it).

Its weird though because I think I've got so many things going for me: I'm tall, muscular, have an awesome finance grad job secured and go to a good university.

Why have I remained single? Because I have literally made zero effort to ever get a girl. I've never asked one out and as I mentioned, I haven't really flirted with one either. I'm also not a very sociable person and only go to a social outing where I might have the chance to meet females about 5 times a year. And although I may be confident and a leader in workshops and group projects, I am absolutely hopeless at talking to girls. Even if I did get the chance to talk to one, I always run out of ideas very quickly so nothing ever happens.

Not an attack or anything, but that perfectly describes me; and I'm very 'successful'.

PEOPLE ARE STRANGE.

edit: oh wait, I somehow missed the flirting bit. I guess I do that lots, but it's really not a conscious thing.
I have never had a boyfriend and I'm 18.
Original post by Life_peer
I have never had a girlfriend due to various reasons, two of them being my strong morals and the preference of academic interests over social interactions, but I do not see it as a huge problem.

:love:

As for me, well, I'm young and I prefer "older" men (bearing in mind older for me means people in their 20s), so it wouldn't work legally. :colondollar:
Reply 104
currently single but i've had a few. at the moment atleast im more up for fun than commitment. possibly have commitment issues (**** buddies dont count right?) but meh.
Reply 105
Original post by im so academic
:love:

As for me, well, I'm young and I prefer "older" men (bearing in mind older for me means people in their 20s), so it wouldn't work legally. :colondollar:

if your under 16 surly you should be looking for people closer your age?
LOL dont get to rushed up in things people :biggrin:
21 year old male here and never had a girlfriend. Not only that but I've literally done NOTHING with a girl i.e no dates, no kisses, not even flirted with one (if a girl at any point in my life has flirted with me, then I was probably oblivious to it).

Its weird though because I think I've got so many things going for me: I'm tall, muscular, have an awesome finance grad job secured and go to a good university.

Why have I remained single? Because I have literally made zero effort to ever get a girl. I've never asked one out and as I mentioned, I haven't really flirted with one either. I'm also not a very sociable person and only go to a social outing where I might have the chance to meet females about 5 times a year. And although I may be confident and a leader in workshops and group projects, I am absolutely hopeless at talking to girls. Even if I did get the chance to talk to one, I always run out of ideas very quickly so nothing ever happens.

Nah just get out there and try, if u want to that is! Practise makes perfect in everything. plus u might meet someone who is willing to help u along the way :smile: or u'll meet someone at your job or somethin, dont worry as u can see u're clearly not the only one!
I haven't had a girlfriend yet. :frown:
Original post by Alvrae

Original post by Alvrae
if your under 16 surly you should be looking for people closer your age?

I don't like "boys" closer to my age. Men are way more nicer, intelligent, mature, appealing, attractive etc etc.
Reply 110
Original post by im so academic
I don't like "boys" closer to my age. Men are way more nicer, intelligent, mature, appealing, attractive etc etc.

intelligence and maturity go with age but i confused as to why older men would go after a younger women specially if there 20+ and no offence but your jail bait?
yeah dont go for someone thats to old as you see in like maybe 30 years time your "husband (if you get married)" may look really old compared to you .
I haven't really found anyone I liked that liked me back...probably because I was too shy for them, and people who liked me I just wasn't interested in them like that AT ALL.

I guess i'm quite fussy too. I'm getting over the shyness...just isn't anyone around atm.
Original post by Alvrae

Original post by Alvrae
intelligence and maturity go with age but i confused as to why older men would go after a younger women specially if there 20+ and no offence but your jail bait?

Yep, and to be honest, I don't mind waiting. What is the rush, really?

Make an effort. Talk to us girls - we won't bite! I always see cute guys around who I really want to talk to but they don't make an effort to talk and it's really sad. It seems like you're a great catch so just get out there, so we can all see what a great guy you are. Girls want you to talk to them.

If you do run out of ideas, just talk about whatever comes to your mind, even cheese. Or even play a game, whatever. Be yourself. You don't have to be talking all the time.

Having said all that, I have never actually had a boyfriend myself or even been close, so you know. But, I do know that "tall, muscular" guys who "have an awesome finance grad job secured and go to a good university" are favoured by girls I know. Good luck with life. :smile:
Original post by romeoandjuliet
Make an effort. Talk to us girls - we won't bite! I always see cute guys around who I really want to talk to but they don't make an effort to talk and it's really sad. It seems like you're a great catch so just get out there, so we can all see what a great guy you are. Girls want you to talk to them.

If you do run out of ideas, just talk about whatever comes to your mind, even cheese. Or even play a game, whatever. Be yourself. You don't have to be talking all the time.

Having said all that, I have never actually had a boyfriend myself or even been close, so you know. But, I do know that "tall, muscular" guys who "have an awesome finance grad job secured and go to a good university" are favoured by girls I know. Good luck with life. :smile:

Thank you for all the nice comments. I really would like to talk to girls more but its often an issue of being unable to think of what to say. If I do have something to say, then approaching is dead easy.
Reply 116
Original post by akash11
To ugly, have no social life and girls inthe 21st century have a very high snce of entitlement

if it's any consolation i think you are beautiful :angel:
I've never had a girlfriend, and I don't intend to start now.

I am quite a religious individual. Most people who have bfs/gfs have sex (as it's society's norm) - and I am to remain chaste till marriage - God willing

It's fairly obvious I'm a religious guy from my appearance (I have a fist-length beard), but even then I get some girls asking me out....I find it awkward to say no sometimes, lol
Reply 118
Thank you for all the nice comments. I really would like to talk to girls more but its often an issue of being unable to think of what to say. If I do have something to say, then approaching is dead easy.

mhmm same here, not confident what so ever.

i have a friend who is good looking but doesn't stand out, but he can literally chat up any girl he wants. every time i see him he is talking to a different girl, not because he has model looks but because he knows exactly what to say :tongue:
Reply 119

Yeah, me too. If I've got something to say, it's not so much approaching that's the problem. It's mostly thinking of conversation / thinking they're not interested in even talking. I probably make it sound a lot worse in my head than it actually would be if I actually started a conversation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending