Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting an ex back - POLL Watch

• View Poll Results: To get my ex back I should...
    Wait. Hope her current r'ship ends. Then tell her...
    37.50%
    Tell her I want her back despite her being in a r'ship...
    62.50%

ReputationRep:
    Broke up with my long-term girlfriend a few months ago.

I think it was a terrible mistake.

She seems to have moved on, but it may be a rebound thing. It's with a friend of mine (sucks, right?)

Question is: if I want to try to get her back, should I wait and hope they break up or do I tell her even though she is with him.

NB. I don't want the ethical answer (I owe him nothing) - I want to know what's more likely to work...

And yes, I realise she might say no. She probably will...

Oh hello there exactly my situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

His name is actually Journalistic, at least make an effort to get it right.

I am posting this message anonymously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    PM me if you wanna compare notes...

ReputationRep:
    Go for it now.

If it is a rebound then you should be in there.

If it not a rebound and you wait for them to end it you will be the rebound or they will not end at all if this is the case.

ReputationRep:
    Just go for it! You don't want to be thinking 'what if'?

ReputationRep:
    Any other thoughts / advice please?

ReputationRep:
    Act quickly!! You just need to be really honest and talk to her. Although don't be surprised if she just accuses you of jealousy - you need to be ready to fight for your relationship and explain why you want to be with her so much. Just make sure you did it in a calm and mature way...ring her up and ask to meet for a drink cause you need to talk. Also, i'd stay away from him...these things can always get stirred up so just keep it between you and her. Hopefully she'll understand that you just made a mistake! Remind her of what you had
    Gooood luck

ReputationRep:
    Gutted.

ReputationRep:
    If you're the one who broke it off w/ her, you should chase her now before she completely fall in love w/ her rebound guy.
    Do everything to get her back and show her that you're really sorry for letting her go in the first place.

Go for it. I broke up with my boyfriend a few months ago, and when I found out he started sort-of seeing this girl I told him I wanted him back. It took a couple of weeks and a really soppy letter but now we're back together... to be honest said girl was seeing someone else at the time, but you still have to try or you never know

ReputationRep:
    Hey guess what, I was in your position a year ago.

I pestered her and told her I loved her.

She broke up with him and is back with me.

Turned out her boyfriend had a tiny penis.

I'm still her best shag, it all works out in the end !

(Though granted I did sleep around a bit before she got into the relationship but she knows and we're kwlkwl and <3)

ReputationRep:
    Your friend shouldnt be going out with her then.. its only been a few months too.. so its possibly a rebound on her part.

Usually would say no... but if you're really sure that it was a mistake.. and there was not apparent reason to break up.. then you could just let her know how you feel, leave it at that.. dont try and persuade her to break up or get back with you. She'll make her own decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xhotas)
    Hey guess what, I was in your position a year ago.

I pestered her and told her I loved her.

She broke up with him and is back with me.

Turned out her boyfriend had a tiny penis.

I'm still her best shag, it all works out in the end !

(Though granted I did sleep around a bit before she got into the relationship but she knows and we're kwlkwl and <3)
    Can I ask, how long had you been together when you broke up? Why did you break up? And did it change the relationship at all?

Cheers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Journalistic)
    Broke up with my long-term girlfriend a few months ago.

I think it was a terrible mistake.

She seems to have moved on, but it may be a rebound thing. It's with a friend of mine (sucks, right?)

Question is: if I want to try to get her back, should I wait and hope they break up or do I tell her even though she is with him.

NB. I don't want the ethical answer (I owe him nothing) - I want to know what's more likely to work...

And yes, I realise she might say no. She probably will...
    tell her your feelings in a amazing way... such a amazing way she can't say no...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Journalistic)
    Can I ask, how long had you been together when you broke up? Why did you break up? And did it change the relationship at all?

Cheers...
    I had been with her a year but I broke up with her because I became a ****, made the wrong sort of friends and thought I could do better without realising what I had.

She slept with someone else then I realised I needed her back, so I tried to get her back but I didn't say anything so it was too late.

I admittedly was sleeping with her throughout her relationship (He was a **** and cheated on her anyway but 2 wrongs don't make a right) She just needed the right time to break up with him because she was a coward about it.

Ultimately I think bar the pain, it made our relationship a lot stronger. I can't bear to be away from her now and I'm a lot more careful with other people but a lot more happy. We very much love each other going on for 2 years in love (May not be long to some but hey, I'm 18 stfu.)

Just man up and do it kid. If you only just broke up tell her how much of a mistake it was before it's too late. Ring her up bloody now if you have to, don't you dare let the girl go!

ReputationRep:
    I had been with her a year but I broke up with her because I became a ****, made the wrong sort of friends and thought I could do better without realising what I had.

She slept with someone else then I realised I needed her back, so I tried to get her back but I didn't say anything so it was too late.

I admittedly was sleeping with her throughout her relationship (He was a **** and cheated on her anyway but 2 wrongs don't make a right) She just needed the right time to break up with him because she was a coward about it.

Ultimately I think bar the pain, it made our relationship a lot stronger. I can't bear to be away from her now and I'm a lot more careful with other people but a lot more happy. We very much love each other going on for 2 years in love (May not be long to some but hey, I'm 18 stfu.)

Just man up and do it kid. If you only just broke up tell her how much of a mistake it was before it's too late. Ring her up bloody now if you have to, don't you dare let the girl go!
    Interesting, cheers.

Gonna give it some serious thought over Xmas. Don't want to get back with her then just break up again....

I'm 90% sure, I need to be nearer 100%!

Thanks for your insight though...

ReputationRep:
    But for both sides of the story, it might just be jealousy or wanting what you can't have and at that point onwards, you'll just be like "I wanted you back for what now?" Give it some serious thought but you'll probably get her back for love or just not being able to cope with the jealousy.

ReputationRep:
    But for both sides of the story, it might just be jealousy or wanting what you can't have and at that point onwards, you'll just be like "I wanted you back for what now?" Give it some serious thought but you'll probably get her back for love or just not being able to cope with the jealousy.
    Yeah. That would be terrible, if I got her back, broke up her current r'ship and then realised it was a mistake. Need to make sure that doesn't happen...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.