Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you eat on Christmas day? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I'm in a festive mood and my favourite thing about Christmas, apart from the family time, is the food. Christmas dinner is the best meal of the year and I wondered what everyone has as part of that? Anything unusual? Me and my friends have taken it upon ourselves to cook one a few days later and need ideas for stuff aside from the usual turkey, potatoes, pigs in blankets etc. Also, what does everyone have for starters and desserts? I'm guessing that everyone's main meal is going to be similar but the others not so much. I need ideas for those as well!

ReputationRep:
    Mine is mostly the usual stuff - start with prawn cocktail, then the turkey/ham/sausages/roast potatoes/sprouts dinner, then plum pudding and a mince pie for dessert with cream/custard/brandy butter. Then mint crisps (they seem to be a Christmas thing at home!) with tea and biscuits and yet more quality st We usually spend a few hours eating, then get ready to go to my aunties house and have more food lol

I'm doing a small Xmas dinner tonight and having a turkey thigh (never had one before, hope it's OK), sausages, chicken nuggets because I'm allergic and I've never had them before lol It's a random mix - I was going to have haggis as well as I finally found a gluten free one but that would be overdoing it... asparagus in bacon as I need a veg to make the plate look nice but, well, I don't like veg! Then sweet cherry crumble + custard for dessert. With lots of fudge and honey roast cashew nuts Kopparberg isn't Christmassy but it'll have to be tonight! It was supposed to be a surprise but just got a text to say the bf is going out after work so it might end up being a microwaved faisco :P

Hungry...

OK, did I get negged for my crap Xmas day diet or what?!

ReputationRep:
    9am: coffee and bacon butties
    10am: crack open the sherry
    12noon: champagne and smoked salmon nibbles
    3pm: christmas dinner: turkey, ham, roasties, parsnips, carrots, sprouts, stuffing. served with wine.
    5pm: port and stilton
    7pm: christmas pudding
    9pm - 1am: beer, wine, whisky
    1am: pick at leftovers from fridge

ReputationRep:
    For the starters..i forgot. Lol. The main meal is the standard: Chicken (Hate turkey), sprouts, carrot, potatoes, parsnips, stuffing, peas, gravy, some other veg and pig in a blanket. Then for pudding, christmas pudding with custard/cream and then mince pie. After a couple of hours christmas dinner number 2 (only applies to me as i egt hungry quickly.)
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Crisps (Kettle chips normally), cheese bread twirly things, cheese wrapped in bacon and salmon blinis for snacks/starter

The normal turkey, pigs in blankets, stuffing, roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips, brocoli etc etc. for mains

Christmas pudding, Christmas Cake, Trifle, Ice Cream, Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert

Then some After Eights or something for post-dessert snack

:drool:

I'm hungry now!

ReputationRep:
    Breakfast - Usually toasted teacakes

Lunch - Turkey, roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings, carrots, broccoli, maybe cauliflower, roast parsnips, little bacon rolls, cocktail sausages and then a combination of the latter 2.

Dinner - A meal made of picnic style snacks like pineapple chunks, cheese nibbles, chicken dippers and more cocktail sausages. Then the cake!

ReputationRep:
    10 am champagne and chocolate
    12 pm prawn cocktail and champagne
    1pm chocolate and assorted alcohol
    5pm starter: salmon terrine and wine
    main: turkery, goose, mincemeat stuffing, prune stuffing, roast potatoes, bread sauce, chipolata sausages, pigs in blanket, gravy, carrots, sprouts and parma ham, asparagus, wine
    pudding: Strawberry cheesecake and trifle, liquer
    7pm: christmas cake
    8pm: mince pies
    9pm onwards: chocolate

approxiamate number of calories consumed: 2345678909876543456789098765456

ReputationRep:
    Usually goes
    Starter: Prawn cocktail/toast and pate
    Main: Mushroom roast (basically a whole load of vegetables roasted into a big dish with cheese and bread, my dad is vegetarian plus my uncle tends to do duck on boxing day) and salad
    Dessert: Christmas pudding/mince pies/ice cream

But this is spread all across the afternoon, and vast amounts of quality street, gingerbread and general other chocolate are eaten too, it's basically a day of food.

ReputationRep:
    We don't really have a starter, and dessert usually consists of everything sweet thing we have in the house (which is a lot!). Dinner is pretty much the same as everyone else - turkey, veg, potatoes etc although my mum does make suet pudding (not sure if I've spelt this right) which is the highlight of my dinner lol.

ReputationRep:
    Because two of my flatmates, including myself, are jetting off tomorrow, I'm actually doing our Christmas meal right at this very minute. There's two huge garlic rosemary roast chickens with bacon strips layered on top cooking away in the oven, a Quorn roast for the vegetarian flatmate, honey roasted parsnips and carrots, rosemary roast potatoes, sauteed butter brussel sprouts, steamed broccoli and cauliflower with a drizzle of lemon and cracked black pepper, a huge amount of sage and onion stuffing, gravy, and for little canapés, bacon wrapped mini sausages and mini cheese quiches. I also spent all of yesterday baking mince pies and triple chocolate cheesecakes and will be making mulled wine to go with the drink choices of juice and soda.

*phew* Now off to baste the chickens.

--EDIT: Oh and nothing is more amusing than making your culinary-incompetent flatmates chop vegetables. The hilarities make for a great evening!

ReputationRep:
    Starters : Elves
    Main Course : Santa
    Dessert : Rudolph

ReputationRep:
    Quorn roast with veggies, roast potatoes etc

I don't like having dead bird carcass on my table. It's weird.

ReputationRep:
    Food.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Everything in sight.

Although being vegan it's generally not turkey for the main meal

ReputationRep:
    Morning (From around 9 - 11): Nothing too special, a variation of toast, oatcakes tea and orange juice. The odds are the chocolates will be open too.

Dinner (1/2 ish): Traditional Christmas dinner with all the trimmings! My dad is a fantastic cook and thus we are always blessed with a delicious meal. For pudding we normally have mince pies, Xmas pudding etc (and no starter, who the hell has a starter before Xmas dinner?).

Afternoon: We'll generally make our way through copious amounts of chocolates and alcohol.

Evening meal (7/8): We head off to our Aunt & Uncle's house for a huge family Christmas gathering and a massive buffet type meal.

ReputationRep:
    No starter, then a mahoosive meal with either duck or goose and all the trimmings. Pudding is either mince pies or christmas pudding with cream/custard.The afternoon is spent eating loads of chocolates, then in the evening my hubby and brother usually crack open whatever booze they've brought. I dont drink, not even during the festive period, so I drink gallons of pepsi.

ReputationRep:
    Usually a Terry's chocolate orange in the morning, and then champagne before we eat. We stick to the usual stuff, really:
    turkey and stuffing; carrots; boiled potatoes; roast potatoes; brussels sprouts; parsnips; broccoli; pigs in blankets; bread sauce; cranberry sauce, and gravy. And then for pudding it's either Christmas pudding or some kind of chocolate cheesecake type thing. And then a cheeseboard - cheddar, goats' cheese, various types of stiltons, usually - and crackers.

I'm hungry just thinking about it!

ReputationRep:
    An insane amount of chocolate, pretzels, cheese snack things and crisps.
    Then dinner (no starter) - duck cos my mum hates turkey, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, swede, sprouts, peas, pigs in blankets and A LOT of stuffing cos it's the best part. All washed down with several bottles of wine.
    No-one in my family (well, me, my mum and her boyfriend) like Christmas pudding so we have free fruit pie pilfered from the bakery I work at :awesome:
    Then a repeat of the morning's chocolate consumption, with various other types of liqour.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, God... everything :p:

Breakfast: Bacon rolls
    Lunch: Maaasssiiivvveee Christmas dinner (I don't have the turkey) but roast potatoes, new potatoes, vegetables, pigs in blankets, stuffing, yorkshire puddings, and lovely thick gravy. Prawn cocktail for starters. Usually too full for dessert.
    Tea: More rolls, plus crisps and a raid of the sweet tins... maybe the aforementioned dessert that everyone was too full to eat after the main meal.

Total calories: ooh, around a million. I'm having two days to have what I want this year and then back to healthy eating afterwards. It's Christmas, only once a year so I'll enjoy it xD

ReputationRep:
    Anything I can get my hands on....but for the main meal usually
    Breakfast:Left over Gammon from Christmas Eve dinner with Piccalilli and Champagne
    Snack:Nuts,Choccy, Pringles.....
    Starter: A baked Camembert with onion chutney or Brie parcels.
    Main: Some sort of roast meat with all the Trimmings.
    Pudding: Chrismtmas Pud, Mince Pies plus alternative for Christmas Pud haters.
    More snacking and heavy consumption of alcohol...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.